Deep Politics Forum
Windows 10 as spyware - Printable Version

+- Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora)
+-- Forum: Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Panopticon of Global Surveillance (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-42.html)
+--- Thread: Windows 10 as spyware (/thread-14715.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Windows 10 as spyware - Albert Doyle - 15-05-2016

Found out today my computer problems with Windows 10 arose because my manufacturer decided not to make any updates for my computer for Windows 10. There was never any chance Windows 10 would have worked in my computer, which explains why I was having serious problems with it.

Windows 10 as spyware - Lauren Johnson - 15-05-2016

Albert Doyle Wrote:Found out today my computer problems with Windows 10 arose because my manufacturer decided not to make any updates for my computer for Windows 10. There was never any chance Windows 10 would have worked in my computer, which explains why I was having serious problems with it.

Now that's just frickin' weird! ::pullhairout::

But Windows updates from the Windows website. I don't get it.

Windows 10 as spyware - Albert Doyle - 16-05-2016

The hardware in my computer needed adaptations to accommodate Windows 10 because it is a much larger than normal operating system. Not mechanical adaptations but software updates. My manufacturer did not issue any software updates for Windows 10 for any computer older than two and a half years. I missed it by 2 months and got screwed because without those updates it wasn't possible for Windows 10 to ever work on my machine - which explains why it gave me nothing but hell. There's two types of updates. Windows and your manufacturer's. If your manufacturer doesn't bother to develop the necessary updates you're screwed!

Windows 10 as spyware - Lauren Johnson - 16-05-2016

Albert Doyle Wrote:The hardware in my computer needed adaptations to accommodate Windows 10 because it is a much larger than normal operating system. Not mechanical adaptations but software updates. My manufacturer did not issue any software updates for Windows 10 for any computer older than two and a half years. I missed it by 2 months and got screwed because without those updates it wasn't possible for Windows 10 to ever work on my machine - which explains why it gave me nothing but hell. There's two types of updates. Windows and your manufacturer's. If your manufacturer doesn't bother to develop the necessary updates you're screwed!

Oh, yah. Drivers for the various motherboard etc. devices. That sucks. It reminds me the old days with a new version of DOS. That saying was, "DOS isn't 'til Lotus won't run."

Windows 10 as spyware - Peter Lemkin - 16-05-2016

Computer manufacturers usually [not exclusively] supply the needed drivers; MS or whoever built your OS supplies the updates and 'fixes'. Win 10 is supposed to update automatically and without you being able to opt out or control it. It also changes over time and you can't change that either.
I again strongly suggest you either revert back to Win 7 [removing all spyware listed in the urls above I posted], or better, move over to either Mac or best Linux - such as Ubuntu. Everything you can do in Windows one can do in Linux - often better...and you can move all of your files from one to the other. You will, yes, have to learn some new software and how to use the system [Linux takes more work than does MS]...but not that much - and one is not spied on and on has control over what you do and don't do. A Linux system can look into a Windows hard drive and take out needed files and bring them into the corresponding Linux program for use. The last option is to run MS on Linux as a 'virtual machine'. This is work to set up, but after is like the original, minus the spying - but even if you do that, use Win 7 and not Win 10...which is built to be spyware and to be totally out of one's control. They are giving it out free or upgrading to it for free likely because there is money in being able to see into your machine or someone else has paid them to make this offer...such as the NSA and that type of entity.

Windows 10 as spyware - David Guyatt - 16-05-2016

Peter Lemkin Wrote:Computer manufacturers usually [not exclusively] supply the needed drivers; MS or whoever built your OS supplies the updates and 'fixes'. Win 10 is supposed to update automatically and without you being able to opt out or control it. It also changes over time and you can't change that either.
I again strongly suggest you either revert back to Win 7 [removing all spyware listed in the urls above I posted], or better, move over to either Mac or best Linux - such as Ubuntu. Everything you can do in Windows one can do in Linux - often better...and you can move all of your files from one to the other. You will, yes, have to learn some new software and how to use the system [Linux takes more work than does MS]...but not that much - and one is not spied on and on has control over what you do and don't do. A Linux system can look into a Windows hard drive and take out needed files and bring them into the corresponding Linux program for use. The last option is to run MS on Linux as a 'virtual machine'. This is work to set up, but after is like the original, minus the spying - but even if you do that, use Win 7 and not Win 10...which is built to be spyware and to be totally out of one's control. They are giving it out free or upgrading to it for free likely because there is money in being able to see into your machine or someone else has paid them to make this offer...such as the NSA and that type of entity.

I can speak about Linux, but the Mac operating system is very easy to use and very rarely gets viruses etc. I'd recommend it as an alternative to Microsoft anyday.

Windows 10 as spyware - Peter Lemkin - 16-05-2016

David Guyatt Wrote:
Peter Lemkin Wrote:Computer manufacturers usually [not exclusively] supply the needed drivers; MS or whoever built your OS supplies the updates and 'fixes'. Win 10 is supposed to update automatically and without you being able to opt out or control it. It also changes over time and you can't change that either.

I can speak about Linux, but the Mac operating system is very easy to use and very rarely gets viruses etc. I'd recommend it as an alternative to Microsoft anyday.

Yes, on a computer coding basis, Mac and Linux are very similar, and either are very very very rarely subject to malware or viruses [to the point of almost never]. Mac has the better 'look' and ability to handle better [4K] monitors and visuals; Linux is cheaper, and open source...in case Mac decides to sell out some day. Either is a viable option vs. Windoz now. Linux will work on any machine that runs Windows and one can wean oneself off of Windows by 'dual booting' [having both operating systems on the same disk or on two disks in the same computer] until you can transfer important information and trust/skills to Linux entirely. I'm not sure about dual booting with Mac for the average person.......not easy even for an expert.

Windows 10 as spyware - Dawn Meredith - 17-05-2016

Erick and both have new computers and we specifically said we did not want Windows 10. But the damn program just pops up. Earlier I got a pop up telling me it was going to automatically download May 18- tomorrow. So am unplugging from the net before I go to bed tonight and when I am at court tomorrow. This is fucking bullshit.

Meanwhile our kindle's did have some new update that was necessary to use the thing but Erick could not download it...Need to get this fixed before summer vacation which is when I use my kindle. He thinks it is a scam to make us buy a second kindle. An upgrade.

Windows 10 as spyware - Lauren Johnson - 17-05-2016

To keep Windows from automatically updating, go to this place:

Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change Settings

The option I like is "Search for updates but do not download and install them."

Windows 10 as spyware - Michael Barwell - 17-05-2016

Lauren Johnson Wrote:To keep Windows from automatically updating, go to this place:

Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change Settings

The option I like is "Search for updates but do not download and install them."

Love to, but 'cos 'phones, computers an' the 'net are now considered essential, I have none of these things, for that same reason.
Like the Quote.