Deep Politics Forum
The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Printable Version

+- Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora)
+-- Forum: Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Human Trafficking (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? (/thread-369.html)

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - David Guyatt - 17-07-2014

from the Needle:

Quote:BBC Radio, 15th July 2014 Big Grinr Liz Davies and David Tombs.

A very interesting interview with David Tombs is followed by an extraordinary interview with Dr Liz Davies in which she reveals a great deal more than you might of been aware of before.

This is a must listen' interview.

<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Georgia">

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - R.K. Locke - 17-07-2014

Bill Maloney and Chris Fay are apparently in the process of setting up a "People's Enquiry".

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - David Guyatt - 18-07-2014

R.K. Locke Wrote:Bill Maloney and Chris Fay are apparently in the process of setting up a "People's Enquiry".

An interesting thought. The problem will be how they obtain evidence - other than eye witness testimony. It could prove counter productive I suppose, but let's wait and see.

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 20-07-2014

Did Jimmy fix it for Jill? I could never buy the Serbian hit man story.

Quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Tragic Jill Dando probed BBC PAEDO ring

MURDERED TV presenter Jill Dando tried to expose a paedophile ring involving "big-name" BBC stars, a former colleague has claimed.
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[TD]Share
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

By Don Hale/Published 20th July 2014
TRAGEDY: Jill Dando told bosses about claims of sexual abuse [BBC]

According to the retired BBC worker, the Crimewatch host was told that DJs, stars and corporation staff were involved in organised abuse.
But when she tried to get bosses to investigate the alleged ring and other abuse complaints inside the BBC "no one wanted to know", the former friend said.
Undeterred, Jill is said to have then raised the claims with senior management in the mid-1990s but no investigation took place.
The TV host was shot dead a few years later on the doorstep of her London home. The 37-year-old's murder remains unsolved.
Her ex-colleague, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "I don't recall the names of all the stars now and don't really want to implicate anyone but Jill said they were surprisingly big names.
"I think she was quite shocked when told about images of children and that information on how to join this horrible paedophile ring was freely available.
"Jill said others had complained to her about sexual matters and that some fellow female workmates also claimed they had been groped or assaulted.
"Nothing had been done and there seemed to be a policy of turning a blind eye."
"There seemed to be a policy of turning a blind eye"
Source
The source told how female colleagues went to Jill, who was then one of the best-known faces on TV.
She said: "I think it was in the mid 1990s, Jill was working on almost everything then including Crimewatch and Holiday.
"She was seen as the face of the BBC and a magnet for women with problems.
"She compiled a file of complaints but she was not really an investigative journalist, just a presenter.
"She passed the information to someone else and they gave it back. No one wanted to know.
"I do remember that she gave a file to senior management. I don't think she heard any more.
"Other women who complained told Jill they didn't want to risk their careers by making official statements against individuals as they would lose their jobs and that bosses seemed to ignore it.
"We all decided the best way was to keep our heads down and to always try to go somewhere with a colleague."
The BBC said it would look into the allegations but added: "We have not seen anything to substantiate these claims." Presenters Liz Kershaw and Miriam O'Reilly have both made allegations of sexual harassment at the BBC.
After Jimmy Savile was exposed as a paedophile and serial sex attacker in 2012, fellow BBC presenter Sally Jones spoke of how he had tried to grope her in a lift.
She confi ded in Jill after the attack, adding that the Crimewatch host said "she had had to fend off plenty of unwelcome advances herself".
Sally said Jill told her Savile was "just a dirty old perv".
Jill was shot dead on the doorstep of her home in Fulham in 1999.
Barry George was found guilty of her murder in 2001 but his conviction was quashed in 2008.
Jill joined a campaign to help children spot paedophiles the year before she died.

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - David Guyatt - 23-07-2014

From The Needle:

Quote:

Beware The Backlash: The Media And The Politics Of Paedophila

I won't stoop to counter the slurs and smears cast upon Tim Tate in the last couple of days.
I'll just give him a voice.
I can only hope that those with ears to listen pay heed. Certainly anyone who really cares about this issue should.
BEWARE THE BACKLASH: THE MEDIA AND THE POLITICS OF PAEDOPHILIA
By Tim Tate
[Image: capture11.png?w=500]
"We are at a vital crossroads.
The coming weeks and months will determine the course of how paedophilia is investigated and how children can be protected from those who seek sexually to abuse them.
For the first time in a generation the public is being relentlessly bombarded with stories alleging the existence of VIP paedophile rings, cover-ups (both governmental and institutional) and accounts of men and women of the abuse they suffered as children.
This very public pressure both in the mainstream press and in social media has forced the government to announce official enquiries into historic abuse and how the problem is presently dealt with.
We have been here before. And there are lessons which need to be heeded from past experience.
I have spent a quarter of a century making documentaries and writing books about the sexual abuse of children. It has not been easy. Not for the obvious reason that this is a miserable subject which inevitably leaves its mark, but for the less-recognised problem that our society has, in general, a preference for turning its eyes from the problem and when unable to do so all too frequently seeks a way to believe that accounts of child sexual abuse are in some way made up, exaggerated or maliciously prompted by outsiders.
Cast your mind back across those 25 years. Cleveland, Nottingham, Rochdale each began in a blitz of screaming headlines about the appalling abuse of children, and collapsed under a sustained and vicious backlash (often by those newspapers which had so willingly published the original stories) suggesting that the abuse was a "myth" or a "moral panic".
And in this noise of claim, counter-claim and recrimination, children's voices get drowned out. Worse, the comfort and promise of being protected is reneged on: the adult world rights itself and once again allows the needs of victims to be swept back under the carpet.
And there is a consistent factor in this: lazy, shoddy and cynical journalism.
We tend to be complacent about the role of the press and the media in this country. We somehow allow ourselves to believe that it is not terribly important. But it is.
How (and whether) the public gets to know about abuse is entirely dependent on the behaviour of the media. If Cleveland being a glaring example the newspapers and television collectively decide that the much-hyped allegations of abuse were untrue, that is exactly what the public will be led to believe. The fact again, see Cleveland that the evidence shows the complete opposite is neither here nor there: that traditional media mantra "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" is all-powerful.
Nor is it only the public which can be misled: the lessons of the past show that the police, the social services departments, the courts and the judiciary are equally pushed by the press to a (pre-)fabricated conclusion. In Cleveland, for example, one judge sitting in a case to determine the fate of a child whose social services record showed ample evidence of risk, announced that he could not help but be influenced by what he read in the press. Hardly surprising, then, that courts across the region simply stopped working and the children's protection was left to ad-hoc deals worked out between opposing barristers.
For Cleveland read Nottingham, read Rochdale. In each case it proved easier to shoot the messengers whether social workers, paediatricians or the children themselves than face up to the painful truth. And what made it easier ? Shoddy, lazy, cynical journalism.
I have been one of those working sometimes behind the scenes, sometimes in the press or via television news to build up the head of pressure which has forced this government to hold new enquiries. Others have done as much and more. All of us have patiently and carefully sought out witnesses, sources and those with a story which needs to be heard. We have then done that old-fashioned thing: sought confirmatory evidence or where appropriate evidence which undermines or disproves what we have been told. No supporting evidence ? Then no publication.
But there are others who as in previous times don't bother. To them, it's open season a rolling news story that obviates the need for careful journalism. Social media blogs, and Twitter accounts carelessly publish rumour as fact and half-facts as gospel truth.
But it's not just the outer reaches of the democratised public discourse.
Exaro News run by a rag-tag collection of soi-disant ¬investigative journalists has promoted itself ceaselessly as the main source of truth about historic sexual abuse. Its editor is interviewed repeatedly on national television and quoted in mainstream newspapers.
Unfortunately, Exaro is also one of the most prominent offenders in publishing and then hyping inaccurate and over-sensational stories. Its story this weekend about the audio tape it acquired of a conversation between a former customs officer and a journalist [transcript published elsewhere on this blog] makes claims and deductions about a former government minister that are to my certain knowledge simply false. Worse, they obscure the real evidence which indicate that the man needs to be properly investigated.
Why does this matter ? Because these over-hyped, inaccurate and sensational stories will if history repeats itself (and it will) cause a vicious backlash which will put back child protection (and the investigation of paedophilia) for years to come.
We can't afford this. We must not allow it to happen. No government ever wants the truth about child sexual abuse to be uncovered: if the scale and impact of it are fully realised vast sums of new public money will have to be devoted to combatting it.
This is the politics of paedophilia. And my lot my brothers in this vital trade of journalism play with it like a careless infant with a cheap toy. That is irresponsible. And it's plain wrong."

I've always found Exaro to be at the spearpoint of outing paedophilia - but what do I know really?

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 27-07-2014

What next for the Inquiry into Organised Child Abuse?

Since Butler-Sloss stepped down, all has gone rather quiet and the media has moved on to other stories. This can only be a temporarily lull and we can rely on the fact that there will be activity behind the scenes in the search for a replacement chair. It is a positive sign that we have learnt, for instance, that no chair will be appointed without consultation with the 7 MP's who put the case to Theresa May for an Inquiry into Organised Child Abuse. Both the person of the chair and the remit of the inquiry are crucial to establishing the truth. Too many Inquiries have focussed on the performance of professionals and child protection arrangements and have avoided questions about whether or not children and adults were abused and whether or not the perpetrators had been brought to justice. It is also essential to include scrutiny of the role of the Crown Prosecution Service and the courts as final arbiters of decision-making. Already, we have learnt that it is not the intention of this Inquiry to consider individual cases. This is a seriously negative message to give to victims who were about to come forward with their specific accounts and this decision must be challenged. It is vastly different from the suggestion by the 7 MPs about what the Inquiry needed to address.
Experience of the inquiry process itself tells us that it rarely achieves justice for victims. It is a tried & tested instrument to allay public disquiet and has been likened to trying to learn about health via a visit to the mortuary. Some people do benefit mainly those who service the process and help to maintain the status quo. For example, several of the barristers in the Cleveland inquiry such as the counsel to the Inquiry, Matthew Thorpe and Sally Cahill who represented Cleveland police, have gone on to become high court judges.
We do support the need for an Inquiry to investigate the many cover-ups at all levels and to examine and expose the way in which child sexual abuse became embedded within political systems. However, we also know that it is essential to establish a multi- agency investigation team to ensure that evidence which suggests that current children are at risk leads to action to protect those children and to prosecute and convict the perpetrators. This team must be established in parallel to the Inquiry and be kept fully informed at every step of the process.

Heather Bacon (Former Consultant Psychologist, North Tees Health Authority. Witness to the Cleveland Inquiry)
Sue Richardson (Former Child Abuse Consultant, Cleveland Social Services Department. Witness to the Cleveland Inquiry)
Marjorie Orr (Accuracy About Abuse)
http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/what-next-for-the-inquiry-into-organised-child-abuse/

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 27-07-2014

Jill Dando murder witness comes forward to claim detectives IGNORED his evidence

Barry Lindsey says he was driving past the Crimewatch presenter's home when he saw her looking terrified as her killer confronted her

A vital witness believed to be the last person to see Jill Dando alive moments before her doorstep murder has come forward to claim that detectives IGNORED his evidence.
Barry Lindsey today reveals he was driving past the Crimewatch presenter's home when he saw her looking terrified as her killer confronted her.
He considered intervening because she seemed so frightened, and hit his brakes. But he drove on only to hear the shot that killed her as he turned out of her road.
But when Mr Lindsey distressed by what had happened gave police a detailed description of the man Jill, 37, had been arguing with, he says they brushed it aside because they were obsessed with nailing Barry George, later wrongly convicted of her 1999 murder.
Mr Lindsey, now a 61-year-old grandfather, says: "I told officers they needed to find a man with olive skin, dark hair and who looked like he was of Mediterranean origin.
"But straight off, they said, We are looking at a local guy over this murder. He is called Barry George'. They asked if I knew him and described what he looked like. But I told them, That's not the man I saw I am 100 per cent sure of it'.
"As soon as those words left my mouth I felt like the police didn't want to listen any more. The way they acted really took me by surprise."
After giving the officers a statement, Mr Lindsey never heard from the police again. Weeks later they arrested their prime suspect. Mr George, 53, was convicted of Jill's murder and served eight years before being freed on appeal.

Philip Coburn [Image: Barry-Lindsey.jpg]
Witness: Eye-witness Barry In an exclusive Sunday Mirror interview last week, he told how the turmoil of the case had
left his life in tatters. And after reading the
emotional account, Mr Lindsey decided to end his years of silence over a day he says will
haunt him forever. Yesterday he revisited the spot where the TV star was killed and relived what happened. It is the first time he has been back since the shooting on April 26, 1999.
That morning the father of five was driving down Gowan Avenue in Fulham, South West London, in a green Toyota car. The retired print worker, who lived locally, was heading to Wimbledon to drop off the vehicle for a friend.
He says: "As I was driving along I glanced to my left and saw a woman arguing with a man.
"I hit the brakes, stopped in the middle of the road and looked through the back window. I will never forget the look on her face. It was one of absolute terror her face had gone as white as the coat she was wearing.
"I considered getting out of the car but something in my head said, don't do it Barry'. A few years before, I had got involved in a domestic in the street and ended up in a fight with the man *involved. I wound up in court. I didn't want that to happen again.
"I looked one final time and saw her standing with her back to her front door. He was in front of her with his back to the road. I could see he had dark hair and looked Mediterranean."

PA [Image: Jill-Dando.jpg]
Day of death: Jill on CCTV Mr Lindsey drove on. Then, as he turned left out of Gowan Avenue, he heard a gunshot.
"It could not have been anything else," he says. "It was louder than a firework or a car backfiring. Instinctively, my foot hit the accelerator and I drove forward as fast as I could."
The incident preyed on his mind for the rest of the day.
"When I got home that night, I flicked on the TV and saw the story about Jill Dando. I don't watch TV that often so I had no idea who she was. But straight away I said to my wife, I saw that woman today'. As I looked at the picture of her on the screen my blood ran cold."
A retired printer, Mr Lindsey contacted a journalist he knew who was *reporting on the case to reveal what he had seen. A short time later he was visited at home by two detectives investigating the Dando murder.
"I told the officers everything I had seen," he says. "Within a few minutes they mentioned the name Barry George to me.
"They said he was a local guy who they were looking at in connection with the murder. I had seen pictures of him in the newspapers and told the officer there was no way that was the person I saw. For a start Barry George looked two stone heavier than the man I saw that morning."
Officers then took Mr Lindsey to the murder scene where he repeated his account. "They kept asking again and again about Barry George," he says. "They seemed frustrated when I said they needed to be looking for someone else."
Mr Lindsey was surprised he never heard from police again. And it is even more surprising given the account provided by one witness at Barry George's first trial. Helen Scott told the Old Bailey she noticed a man also of *Mediterranean appearance with slightly olive skin, looking down towards Gowan Avenue the night before Jill died. It raises the possibility that she saw the same man described by Mr Lindsey hanging around Jill Dando's home ahead of the murder.
Mr Lindsey says: "I expected the police to at least call back to take a second statement after Barry George was arrested. But I heard nothing.
"Eventually Barry George was charged and one TV news report even mentioned a man in a Range Rover who had seen an altercation on the morning she died. Presumably they were referring to me, but I never heard from the police again so I can't say for sure. In the end I did start to question myself and what I might have seen that day. But deep down I knew what I saw."
Mr Lindsey, who now lives in Woodford Green, East London, says he is ready to give police a new statement over the murder. "I'd be prepared to meet the police tomorrow," he insisted.
"I don't know what they could now do with my information but I can't see how it would harm their chances of *finding the person who killed that poor woman.
"It is such a tragic waste of a life. And it is really sad that Barry George has also ended up having his own life torn apart."
In his first interview for five years last week, Mr George says police targeted him for the murder because his life was "disposable".
Even when he was cleared at a 2008 retrial, he claims he was followed by officers around the clock and stopped and searched dozens of times before fleeing to Ireland with his sister in fear that he would be "fitted up" again.
He told us: "I hope it's in my lifetime that the real killer is caught. Although I never met Jill Dando she was an innocent woman who was murdered and no person with any conscience could stand there and say they felt no compassion for her and her family."
Despite a £587,000 forensic review, Scotland Yard did not find any new leads and the officers stopped investigating.
Mr George said: "The real killer is out there somewhere and the police aren't looking for him. They needed someone to plug a hole and I was it. They victimised me and my life was disposable."
Eye-witness Mr Lindsey also wants to see justice done and the killer caught.
He says: "I can't help thinking that if the police had listened and looked at other suspects beyond Barry George then Jill Dando's killer may now be in prison. They were clearly under pressure to get a result quickly because she was such a high profile victim. It was clear when I gave my statement that the officers had an idea in their mind of who they thought was responsible.
"I'm not saying what I told that day could have cracked the case but it might have helped lead officers in the right direction.
"I'd be happy to help them in the future in any way I can because I just want the person who did this brought to book."
A spokesman for the Met said yesterday: "The case remains unsolved. As with all unsolved cases any evidence which we are presented with will be thoroughly examined by officers."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jill-dando-murder-witness-comes-2071046

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 02-08-2014

It is good news that someone from MI5 has broken ranks and come forth. I hope there will be other too.

Quote:

Kincora abuse investigation stopped by MI5 says ex-army officer

[Image: _76263686_1982_kincora_boys_home.jpg] The Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast was at the centre of a child abuse scandal in the 1980s
Continue reading the main story

Related Stories

A former army intelligence officer has said he was ordered to stop investigating allegations of child sexual abuse at a boys' home in the 1970s.
Brian Gemmell said a senior MI5 officer told him to stop looking into claims of abuse at Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast.
He said he presented a report on the allegations to the officer in 1975.
In 1981, three senior care staff at the home were jailed for abusing 11 boys.
Jump media player
Media player help
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Brian Gemmell has called for a new investigation, as Chris Buckler reports

It has been claimed that people of the "highest profile" were connected to abuse at the home.

Mr Gemmell, who worked as an intelligence officer in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, has called for a fresh investigation into the home.

He has previously spoken anonymously about his investigations into Kincora, but said he had decided to go public because he feels the allegations need to be investigated again.

The former intelligence officer said that he learned details of what was happening inside the home while gathering information about loyalists.
He said he was told he was running two agents who had close links to Kincora.

'Hostile' However, after presenting his report to a senior MI5 officer, Mr Gemmell said, he was told to cease his investigation.

He said: "I was summoned to go and see him. I went up thinking he was going to be pleased with me.

"He bawled me out. He was rude and offensive and hostile.

"He told me not just to stop any investigation into Kincora, but to drop Royal Flush [an agent he was running]."
Mr Gemmell said Kincora should be investigated again but said "there is not a lot of hope" that it will happen.
"I think there's more hope than there has been in the past. Although there's not a lot, there is more than in the past."

Earlier this month, another former Army officer, Colin Wallace, said any new investigation of Kincora must have access to information from intelligence agencies.

Mr Wallace said he received intelligence in 1973 to say that boys were being abused, but claims some of his superiors refused to pass on the information.

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 02-08-2014

Government IT expert is caught with child porn stash... but why did Downing Street keep it secret for six months?

• Sebastian Crump faces jail after being caught with nearly 400 child porn images
  • Former Cabinet Office digital expert amassed images while working as digital communications manager advising Government on its own website
  • Police found images being streamed from his home computer IP address last year
  • But he received promotion at Cabinet Office while he was being investigated
By Rebecca Camber, Crime Reporter
Published: 09:35 AEST, 2 August 2014 | Updated: 10:24 AEST, 2 August 2014
331 shares

[Image: 1406935945131_Image_galleryImage_Sebasti...admitt.JPG]
+2

Facing a jail sentence: Sebastian Crump yesterday

A former Cabinet Office digital expert is facing jail after being caught with a huge stash of nearly 400 child porn images.
Sebastian Crump amassed depraved images of child abuse while working as digital communications manager advising the Government on its own website.
Now questions are being asked about why it took six months to emerge that a government official had been arrested over child pornography allegations.
Police discovered indecent images were being streamed from Mr Crump's home computer IP address in April last year.
But incredibly last November while he was still being investigated he received a promotion at the Cabinet Office, where he had previously worked in internal communications.
When Crump, 39, was arrested in January this year Scotland Yard did not publicise the arrest. He was only named when he was charged last month, but even then the Metropolitan Police did not reveal his role at the Cabinet Office.
Details can only now be revealed after he pleaded guilty to four charges of making and distributing indecent images of children.
Yesterday Crump who has spent a decade working in technology and communications for Government offices, including the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Central Office of Information insisted: I'm not a paedophile.'
The case has reignited a row over secret arrests by police involving government officials accused of child porn offences.
Lib Dem MP John Hemming said: When they sat on the case for such a long time and then hid the fact that he is a senior civil servant, it causes great concern.

It does raise serious questions and alarm bells are ringing loudly.' The Cabinet Secretary has already been asked to investigate the handling of a separate arrest of one of David Cameron's closest aides.
Patrick Rock, deputy director of the No 10 policy unit, was arrested on suspicion of hoarding images of naked children in February.
The National Crime Agency refused to confirm or deny Mr Rock had been held or the existence of any inquiry, which was finally revealed by this newspaper.
Mr Rock was brought in to Downing Street as deputy head of policy in 2011, and was involved in drawing up Government policy on tackling online child abuse images.
Although Sebastian Crump's work did not involve any child protection issues, the Mail can reveal he landed a government job after working as a children's charity website manager.
[Image: 1406935967479_Image_galleryImage_Shows_S...mp_Dig.JPG]
+2

Civil servant: Crump worked as a Whitehall communications manager

The IT expert worked for Action for Children, which helps support vulnerable and neglected children, between 1998 and 1999.
Last year while he was under investigation, he shared a picture on his Facebook page urging 11-year-old children to be safe on the internet.
City of Westminster Magistrates Court heard that Crump hoarded nearly 400 indecent images of children, 82 of which were classed as the most extreme.
At his £800,000 terraced home in Wandsworth, South London, police found 375 images and video files involving child and animal abuse.
The court heard that Crump's marriage had collapsed following his arrest. He pleaded guilty on Thursday to three counts of making an indecent image of a child and one count of distributing an indecent photograph of a child.
But yesterday Crump insisted he was not a paedophile.
Dressed in purple trousers, with dark glasses and a straw cowboy hat covering his frizzy ginger hair, the keen musician, who is part of the British Humanists Association Choir, emerged from his home in Southfields, South London.
He insisted I'm not a paedophile', before sprinting off.
Crump is on bail ahead of sentencing at Southwark Crown Court on August 28. A Cabinet Office spokesman said Crump was suspended in January and quit in March.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2713810/Government-digital-chief-caught-child-porn-stash-did-Downing-Street-secret-six-months.html

The Power of the Paedos - another high profile case hits the 'never happened' wall? - Magda Hassan - 03-08-2014

The Kincora scandal: 'MI5 tried to blackmail Belfast homosexual,' says whistleblower

[Image: 15-massey-marxpgotov2.jpg]

Victim and ex-intelligence agent join call for beefed-up investigation into notorious care home

James Hanning

Sunday 03 August 2014

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

In the glut of allegations of sexual abuse, one care home stands out. At Kincora, a boys' home in Belfast, three men routinely abused teenage boys in their care for more than a decade. In this case, the abuse is undoubted, as a court confirmed when, in December 1981, William McGrath, the "house father", Raymond Semple, an assistant warden, and Joseph Mains, warden, were sentenced to four, five and six years respectively for the sexual abuse of children. What makes Kincora remarkable is the lingering suggestion that British security services connived in the continued abuse of children in order to secure intelligence.

More than three decades on, Kincora still stinks. Last week, it was revealed that in the 1980s three former residents had received secret payments with gagging clauses in compensation from the local authority. Two books have been written, one even alleging that a murder was committed to discredit army information officer Colin Wallace, who had sought to expose publicly what was happening. A possibly game-changing testimony emerged on Friday when former intelligence officer Captain Brian Gemmell went public in saying that, in 1975, his boss in MI5 made him cut short attempts to investigate what was going on at the home.
Last night, Capt Gemmell told The Independent on Sunday he had had personal experience of the security services discussing using somebody's homosexuality to apply pressure on them. "Some months before I was told to leave the Kincora case alone, on the grounds that the service didn't involve itself with homosexual matters, I had a meeting at a hotel on Buckingham Palace Road. There were three members of MI5 talking about a known Protestant terrorist, John McKeague of the Red Hand Commandos, being homosexual, and they asked me if I thought he could be blackmailed over his homosexuality, because they had film of him."
[Image: 16-mcgrath.jpg] William McGrath Last week, Clint Massey, a former resident, gave his first newspaper interview, to The IoS. Born in 1957, he had been in another Northern Ireland care home before, in 1973, he was sent to Kincora, a half-way house for boys in care at the start of their working life. He shared a room with two other boys, who used to leave early in the morning to go to work, leaving him alone in the room. "On my first full day there," he recalled, "McGrath came in and asked me what I wanted for breakfast, but, as he did so, he put his hand inside my pyjamas." Mr Massey says he was abused several times a week, and often raped.
"At the time, nobody talked about sex. You just didn't. It was almost as if people had a shower with their clothes on. Young men didn't share secrets like that, so I knew there was nothing I could do. These people were highly respected members of the community." When he gave evidence (unidentifiably) against McGrath in court, he said he had no idea which other boys would also be doing so. "It was a taboo subject," he said.
Although he speaks matter-of-factly, the abuse he suffered has clearly been a life sentence. As recently as a fortnight ago, he self-harmed, at the age of 57, slashing his wrists in frustration after it appeared that the investigation into historic abuse was to be ditched because of a lack of funds. He goes on occasional day-long drinking binges, has taken drug overdoses and laid down in front of a train, only to find it diverted at the last minute. "I look at couples and people with children and I think that should have been me," he said, but relationships have never worked out. "I don't trust anybody, although slowly I'm learning to trust now. I remember what I used to be like before I went there. I should be a grandfather by now, but I never will be. So instead I try to be one of the world's best uncles."
[Image: 16-kincora.jpg] Former intelligence officer Brian Gemmell has said that MI5 forced him to cut short his investigation into the home (pictured here) in 1975 Mr Massey's specific claims are limited to his own experience. He makes no accusation against anyone but William McGrath, a Protestant (religious and political) fanatic, who he says would be inclined to place a gospel tract in the hand of those he met. (He puts the combination of extreme religiosity and casual sexual abuse down to "massive guilt".) He declines to join in the excitable speculation as to who specifically might have visited, but does recall a lot of "suits" arriving, often in the evening. "In those days, there were loads of people over from London. I have always assumed they were senior figures from Whitehall. I certainly heard English accents."
Whoever they were, the suggestion that Kincora was being closely monitored by the security services, and its habitués leaned upon, is, to him, a potent and credible one. "I strongly believe it was an entrapment operation for them. They hoped to get a handle on the people who visited, to get them to work for them and inform for them that's the way the dirty tricks department works."
But McGrath and the others went to prison. If it were a conspiracy, that was hardly a successful outcome. "I believe they were part of it. They were the facilitators, and were protected to some degree." He believes, as many do, that a deal was done, their plea quickly changed and the resulting sentence a lenient one.
Will the current investigation into Kincora get to the truth? There hasn't been much official gusto about previous efforts. Brian Gemmell, who had sources inside Tara, the apocalyptic anti-Catholic group founded by McGrath in 1966, who told him about the abuse, has never even been interviewed by any of the previous official inquiries.
Sir Anthony Hart, the retired judge leading the current investigation into institutional child abuse in Northern Ireland between 1922 and 1995, has expressed concern that he lacks the authority to get to the truth. David Cameron has been asked by Northern Ireland's First Minister, Peter Robinson, to bring Kincora under the broader, UK-wide inquiry, which could call MI5 to account for itself.
"It has to be done from Westminster," said Mr Massey. "If it stays local, a lot of people will be happy. There are too many people in Northern Ireland, predominantly Protestant, who don't want it looked at.
"But I hope there are people shaking in their boots. They may be old men now but I don't care. There's no statute of limitations on this. I think there are lots of people shaking. I hope they're expecting a knock on the door, but an investigation can't dig deep here [in Northern Ireland]. At Westminster, they have the authority, and they can do it if they want to."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-kincora-scandal-mi5-tried-to-blackmail-belfast-homosexual-says-whistleblower-9644610.html