Deep Politics Forum
WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Printable Version

+- Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora)
+-- Forum: Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Propaganda (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! (/thread-3796.html)

Pages: 1 2

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Myra Bronstein - 18-05-2010

In the middle of yet another Posner plagiarism story (no news there) I saw this:

"Posner's lawyer, Mark Lane, is best known for writing Rush to Judgment, the mother of all JFK-conspiracy books. He declined to answer specific questions about the plagiarism, but cited unnamed "vulgar and threatening attacks" by the paper on Posner. He claimed the newspaper "interfered" with Posner's relationship with his publishers, Random House, by providing them with the latest evidence."
http://http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-05-20/news/posner-plagiarizes-again/

Is Mark Lane actually Posner's attorney?

I've wondered about Lane ever since I found out he was Jim Jones' attorney and one of the few survivors of the CIA operation at Jonestown.

Now he's Propaganda Boy's attorney? Is this true?
Is Lane another Bugliosi?

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Myra Bronstein - 18-05-2010

Sorry if this bombshell was posted elsewhere on the forum and I missed it.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/05/gerald_posner_hires_rush_to_ju.php
Gerald Posner Hires Rush to Judgment Author Mark Lane in Plagiarism Case

By Tim Elfrink, Thursday, May. 13 2010 @ 12:57PM

Gerald Posner, Miami Beach author and admitted plagiarist, announced today that he's hired a lawyer to defend him against Miami New Times' stories about his literary thefts.

[Image: posner2-thumb-250x356.jpg]photo by Bill Cooke​

His choice of attorney is turning some heads in New York: Mark Lane is famous for authoring -- almost a half century ago -- Rush to Judgment, the book that popularized the "grassy knoll" theory absolving Lee Harvey Oswald of guilt in the JFK assassination. Posner's own best-seller and Pulitzer finalist, Case Closed, sought to refute the theories at the heart of Lane's book.

"Although I'm convinced Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated President Kennedy, I've always believed that had Mark Lane represented Oswald, he would have won an acquittal," Posner says in a press release. "That's why Mark Lane was the obvious choice as my own attorney."

Lane, in a letter, charges New Times with "vulgar and threatening attacks" and says that Posner is "prepared to file a complaint."
However no lawsuit has been filed. Here's editor Chuck Strouse's comments on the situation:

"We're delighted to have Mr. Lane, an 83-year-old Jonestown survivor, involved. We clearly have nothing against Mr. Posner, though we despise his admitted serial plagiarism. New details on this egregious literary theft -- which is crystal clear -- will be published soon."

As for those new details -- they're coming. Stay tuned!

In addition to scolding New Times for reporting on Posner's habit of lifting text from other authors, Lane ends his press release today with an intriguing aside.

New Times should be focusing its energies on the CIA's attempts to infiltrate newsrooms around the country, Lane says. Really. Here's the excerpt:
"I do have one further suggestion. Since the issue of the search for the truth may be of interest to you and since, as you must know, a committee of the United States Senate years ago and then again more recently, concluded that the CIA, the FBI and other intelligence agencies have assets pretending to be journalists embedded in the major news media, that might be a subject that could attract your attention. Unlike the Posner affair in which no one was harmed, it is that use of the media and the publishing houses that is a threat to our democracy and impedes our right to a free press pursuant to the unambiguous mandate of the First Amendment. That is a campaign that many of us could support, endorse and relish. Our country needs muckraking journalists who can recognize muck worth raking when they see it."

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Paul Rigby - 19-05-2010

Myra Bronstein Wrote:[Image: posner2-thumb-250x356.jpg]photo by Bill Cooke​

I am appalled to see a photograph of a perfectly respectable Brazilian rent-boy - gripping God knows what - appended so gratuitously to a story about that sordid man Posner. I urge its immediate removal so that this eminent sex-worker can continue to ply his comparatively honourable career without fear of mistaken identity or taint.

Myra Bronstein Wrote:I've wondered about Lane ever since I found out he was Jim Jones' attorney and one of the few survivors of the CIA operation at Jonestown.

Now he's Propaganda Boy's attorney? Is this true?
Is Lane another Bugliosi?

You were moving in the wrong literary circles in the 60s, Myra. Now, had you joined the right smoking salon behind the bike sheds, you'd have run into this corker:

Lane on Oswald: “I’m inclined to believe he was a sincere leftist…”

“Playboy Interview: Mark Lane,” Vol 14, No 2, (February 1967), p.62

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Magda Hassan - 19-05-2010

No! Well, this is causing some cognitive dissonance.
I did read a title along these lines very recently but thought I was hallucinating due to too much on my to do list and meant to return and read in depth.

It seems so odd that a) Lane would wish to be associated with such a person and b) he is not a libel lawyer.

Maybe they are both looking for publicity. Maybe they were always on the same side, what ever that is.

Magda Hassan Wrote:No! Well, this is causing some cognitive dissonance.

Productive thing, cog dis.

Magda Hassan Wrote:Maybe they were always on the same side, what ever that is.

Heresy! Great!

Quote:1) I traveled to Dallas at the beginning of 1964 and there met Hugh Aynesworth, a reporter for The Dallas Morning News, who gave me photostated copies of a number of original affadavits. These documents, prepared by the Dallas police, included one signed by Deputy Constable Weitzman…it reveals that Weitzman described the rifle which he and Boone had discovered as ‘a 7.65 Mauser bolt action equipped with a 4/18 scope, a thick leather brownish-black sling on it…

2) The paraffin test report in the Oswald case was among the Photostats given to me in January 1964 by Hugh Aynesworth

Mark Lane. Rush To Judgment (London: The Bodley Head Ltd., 1966):

Extract 1): pp.114-115; and 2) p.149

Tremendously obliging of Hugh A, who was at no time connected to, or in league with, the CIA, at any point his distinguished career.

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Jan Klimkowski - 19-05-2010

Lane's cover was blown at Jonestown.

It gets better:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2010-05-20/news/posner-plagiarizes-again/

Quote:Posner Plagiarizes Again

By Tim Elfrink Thursday, May 20 2010

Posner's lawyer, Mark Lane, is best known for writing Rush to Judgment, the mother of all JFK-conspiracy books. He declined to answer specific questions about the plagiarism, but cited unnamed "vulgar and threatening attacks" by the paper on Posner. He claimed the newspaper "interfered" with Posner's relationship with his publishers, Random House, by providing them with the latest evidence.

I was so mad after reading this that I ripped up my underpants and fled into the nearest jungle.

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - Dawn Meredith - 20-05-2010

Jan Klimkowski Wrote:Lane's cover was blown at Jonestown.

It was for me. And has remained so. He can turn down cases, this is not a court appointment. So to ask why he'd defend Posner, just go back to Jonestown. Sad but true.
Dawn
ps great quotes Paul, from Rush to Judgement!

WTF?! - Is Gerald Posner's attorney Mark Lane?! - John Kowalski - 21-05-2010

The link below to Black Ops radio has an interview with Mark Lane in which he speaks about his defence of Posner and other JFK matters.

http://www.blackopradio.com/archives2010.html

John