Deep Politics Forum
New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Printable Version

+- Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora)
+-- Forum: Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Technical Issues (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum (/thread-5128.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Peter Lemkin - 24-12-2010

I realize this iteration of the Forum is hours old and the victim of much that has transpired....but I must say I do NOT like the current 'look' of the forum and how it performs, compared to the 'old'. Please work, as you can, to make it look and function as before. I'll be patient, but wanted to put in my two cents, half a farthing and 0.1 Euro. Peter

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Peter Presland - 24-12-2010

Peter Lemkin Wrote:I realize this iteration of the Forum is hours old and the victim of much that has transpired....but I must say I do NOT like the current 'look' of the forum and how it performs, compared to the 'old'. Please work, as you can, to make it look and function as before. I'll be patient, but wanted to put in my two cents, half a farthing and 0.1 Euro. Peter

Lot's of little glitches and configuration issues to sort out, not made any easier by plumping for the latest version of the forum software - there are security and other development issues that dictated the upgrade. Smilies; annoying list of social-networking site links without the corresponding images; that Black triangular question mark in some text; lack of a 'home' button on the nav bar; no 'todays posts' + a whole raft of others.

Not sure it will ever look exactly like the old one but usability, speed and a reasonably aesthetic appearance are clearly what we're aiming for.

Working on it.

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Magda Hassan - 24-12-2010

Yes, Peter. We'll be doing tweaks as we find them and I think we are all keen to make the forum look a bit better.

I have to re-do the smileys as they were lost in transition. There is an encoding issue to fix and a few more aesthetic things like the color of the background and look and feel. We will be getting the .com back from the thief imminently too and we can use the .net as a mirror site. Please feel free to list issues here in this thread and we will deal with them as soon as possible.

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Peter Lemkin - 25-12-2010

Well, I know nothing of this software, but sometimes a company offers the new software with an option for it to 'look' [but not act] like the previous version[s].....maybe you can ask. Have to admit, I don't like the look of this one compared to the old at all. Perhaps it is just me.

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Peter Lemkin - 25-12-2010

Another thing I notice is on a long thread...one can only choose page 1,2,3. To get to the last page, one had to go to page three, and from there go to the last page. There is a strange and new list of attachments.....oh, maybe it has some purpose, but it is in the wrong place, I think. One needs to get to the most recent post of a long thread in one mouse click!

I know you're all trying your best and I'm not whining...only pointing out things as I see 'em. Another is the reply default is a 'quick reply' not the full reply form...is that setting I can change or again do I have to make two steps?

I don't envy all the little changes you need to make.....;k;owavey

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Jack White - 25-12-2010

I tried to make an attachment. It did not work.

Jack

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Charles Drago - 25-12-2010

Jack White Wrote:I tried to make an attachment. It did not work.

Jack

I've attempted to upload a photo of our former partner. Let's see what we get.

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Magda Hassan - 26-12-2010

Hi Jack, can you tell me what type of an attachment you were trying upload? You can send it to me and I'll upload it for you.
Jack White Wrote:I tried to make an attachment. It did not work.

Jack

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Jack White - 26-12-2010

It is a normal JPG. The uploading instructions are terrible. I thought it was attached but it did not attach.
I do not want you to post it. I want you to TELL ME how to post it.

This new format is very inferior.

Jack

New [and hopefully only temporary] look of the Forum - Magda Hassan - 26-12-2010

Sorry about the new software Jack. We are working on the bugs. One by one they will be fixed.

For the attachments you will need to click on the 'Manage Attachments' button which you will find in the panel below where you do the writing for your post.

If you are replying use the 'Go Advanced' button not the 'Post Quick Reply' button otherwise you wont get the 'Manage Attachment' button

When the 'Manage Attachment 'button is clicked another screen will pop up. To select the file you want to attach from your computer click the button with a green plus sign on it which says 'Add Files'. This will bring up another small screen. At the bottom of this small screen you will see some text which says "Basic Uploader' Click this and you will be able to browse for the file in your computer. The you can upload your selected file to the forum. This make take a little while depending on the size of the attachment you are uploading.