Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zappa. 20 years ago he left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5515[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpeg   Zappa.jpeg (Size: 46.06 KB / Downloads: 5)
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Most don't know that Valclav Havel, the then President of the Czech Republic [and former political dissident during Communism there] had asked Frank Zappa if he would consider being the Minister of Culture in the CZE. I don't know why, but Zappa declined. However, Havel and Zappa had been and remained good friends. In Prague there are many photos of Zappa posing with various persons when he came to discuss this with Havel. [One former Havel aide, who shall remain nameless, turned up at a meeting I called when I was inviting my friend Terrance McKenna to Prague to give a two week seminar on hallucinogens and the psychedelic experience, et al.] :Blink:
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
He came in through the doors of perception. I met Terrance when he was here. Beautiful man. Great stories and histories. Another mutual friend loaned him his passport to help the wheels keep turning and the tour go on. On a long ago previous occassion in the US that is.

I did know that. Thought he'd make a great Minister for Culture. He could have had his own diplomatic pouch and all. Don't know why he didn't jump at it.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Zappa seemed to be a left-leaning Libertarian. From Wikipedia:

Describing his political views, Frank Zappa categorized himself as a "practical conservative",[197] or "independent". He favored limited government and low taxes; he also stated that he approved of national defense, social security, and other federal programs, but only if recipients of such programs are willing and able to pay for them.[197] He favored capitalism, entrepreneurship, and independent business, stating that musicians could make more from owning their own businesses than from collecting royalties.[198] He opposed communism, stating, "A system that doesn't allow ownership [...] hasto put it mildlya fatal design flaw."[197]
Tracy Riddle Wrote:Zappa seemed to be a left-leaning Libertarian. From Wikipedia:

Describing his political views, Frank Zappa categorized himself as a "practical conservative",[197] or "independent". He favored limited government and low taxes; he also stated that he approved of national defense, social security, and other federal programs, but only if recipients of such programs are willing and able to pay for them.[197] He favored capitalism, entrepreneurship, and independent business, stating that musicians could make more from owning their own businesses than from collecting royalties.[198] He opposed communism, stating, "A system that doesn't allow ownership [...] hasto put it mildlya fatal design flaw."[197]
Not that left leaning by the looks of it.

Based on his attacks on Reagan, the Religious Right, censorship of music, and many other issues, I put him leaning to the left.
Tracy Riddle Wrote:Based on his attacks on Reagan, the Religious Right, censorship of music, and many other issues, I put him leaning to the left.
I'd put that as liberalism (if not just plain sanity) of the John Stuart Mills type. But I take your point too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexis has been gone for two long years. Magda Hassan 0 2,756 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan