Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Man in the High Castle
I had to smirk a bit when I read the synopsis of this new TV series run out by Amazon Prime, about an alternate history where the Nazis won the war in 1947 and the US became a divided nation with one half Nazi and the other a Japanese outpost.

Fact posing as fiction or the other way around?

Mind you it looks really interesting...
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
I watched the first episode with my fiancée, who fell asleep. I enjoyed it. So, the review from here is mixed. I'll watch another episode at least.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6_%28film%29
A Disney children's movie also set about 100 years after the US lost the war.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Philip K. Dick's stories were always reality-bending, are-we-living-in-a-hologram-inside-God's mind stuff, though Man in the High Castle is relatively straightforward.
I'm really looking forward to watching this. I've read about 60%-70% of Philip K. Dick's oeuvre and this is one of his better efforts.
“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”
― Leo Tolstoy,