Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edward Snowden May Return to the US If Guaranteed a Fair Trial
The chances of Snowden getting a fair trial are, imo, so slim as to be non-existant. I wonder what he's thinking?

From the Grauniad:

Quote:Edward Snowden would be willing to return to US for fair trial

Former NSA contractor tells supporters he would present public interest defence if he appeared before American jury
[URL="http://twitter.com/JamieGrierson"]
@JamieGrierson
[/URL]
Sunday 21 February 2016 11.37 GMTLast modified on Monday 22 February 2016 00.05

Edward Snowden has told supporters he would be willing to return to the US if the government could guarantee a fair trial.
The former National Security Agency contractor, who has been living in Russia since June 2013, said he would present a public interest defence of his decision to leak thousands of classified intelligence documents if he appeared before a US jury. "I've told the government I would return if they would guarantee a fair trial where I can make a public interest defence of why this was done and allow a jury to decide," Snowden told a libertarian conference, the New Hampshire Liberty Forum.
[Image: 1278.jpg?w=460&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&]
Edward Snowden attacks UK government over investigatory powers bill

Read more

Snowden, who was speaking via Google Hangouts, faces US charges under the Espionage Act that could land him in prison for up to 30 years.
In May 2013, Snowden flew to Hong Kong after leaving his job at an NSA facility in Hawaii. The following month he revealed thousands of classified NSA documents, and then travelled to Russia, where he was subsequently granted asylum.
The documents revealed the existence of mass surveillance programmes run by the NSA and British intelligence agency GCHQ, which involved the bulk interception of phonecalls and internet traffic.
Snowden has previously spoken of making offers to the government to return home and his willingness to discuss a plea deal and even go to jail. But in an interview on BBC Panorama last year, the whistleblower said the US justice department had made no effort to contact him.
Snowden's revelations set off an international debate about the balance between security and privacy. Supporters hailed Snowden for exposing what they saw in some cases as an illegal invasion of privacy, while critics believed he hampered the security services' ability to fight terrorism.

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:The chances of Snowden getting a fair trial are, imo, so slim as to be non-existant. I wonder what he's thinking?

From the Grauniad:

Quote:Edward Snowden would be willing to return to US for fair trial

Former NSA contractor tells supporters he would present public interest defence if he appeared before American jury

I hope Snowden is doing well learning Russian. He'll need it there while he waits for hell to freeze over.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NSA Whistleblower Confirms Snowden Allegations, and adds more!!!! Peter Lemkin 10 41,365 31-05-2016, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  A Bit Dramatic...But So Is The Real Story....SNOWDEN by Oliver Stone Peter Lemkin 3 12,936 27-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  CIA rendition jet was waiting in Europe to SNATCH SNOWDEN Magda Hassan 7 11,383 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Snowden Wins Debate Over NSA Employee, Most Agree..... Peter Lemkin 1 4,537 28-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  A report that is guaranteed to be ignored David Guyatt 0 3,551 06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The All New, Singing, Dancing Anti-terrorism Bill - Guaranteed To Be Unjust David Guyatt 2 4,657 28-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Snowden to blame for failure of intern national tracking system of paedophiles David Guyatt 1 4,167 10-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  More Snowden disclosures Drew Phipps 5 6,992 11-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  NSA Whistleblower: Snowden Never Had Access to the JUICIEST Documents Lauren Johnson 4 8,076 20-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Oliver Stone's new movie: Snowden 0 315 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: