Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spy Schools: How the CIA, FBI, and Foreign Intelligence Secretly Exploit America's Universities
Out in October.

Quote:

Spy Schools: How the CIA, FBI, and Foreign Intelligence Secretly Exploit America's Universities

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Daniel Golden exposes how academia has become a major target of foreign and domestic espionage―and why that is troubling news for our nation's security and democratic values.

Grounded in extensive research and reporting, Spy Schools reveals that globalization―the influx of foreign students and professors and the outflow of Americans for study, teaching, and conferences abroad―has transformed U.S. higher education into a front line for international spying. In labs, classrooms, and auditoriums, intelligence services from countries like China, Russia, and Cuba seek insights into U.S. policy, recruits for clandestine operations, and access to sensitive military and civilian research. The FBI and CIA reciprocate, tapping international students and faculty as informants. Universities ignore or even condone this interference, despite the tension between their professed global values and the nationalistic culture of espionage.
Taking advantage of patriotic fervor and fear in the wake of 9/11, the CIA and other security agencies have infiltrated almost every aspect of academic culture and enlist professors, graduate students, and even undergraduates to moonlight as spies. Golden uncovers shocking campus activity―from the CIA placing agents undercover in Harvard Kennedy School classes and staging academic conferences to persuade Iranian nuclear scientists to defect, to a Chinese graduate student at Duke University stealing research for an invisibility cloak, and a tiny liberal arts college in Marietta, Ohio, exchanging faculty with China's most notorious spy school―to show how relentlessly and ruthlessly both U.S. and foreign intelligence services are penetrating the ivory tower.

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Schools-Intel...1627796355

Two more links.

TAKING STOCK OF THE TIES THAT BIND HARVARD'S KENNEDY SCHOOL AND THE CIA
http://www.chronicle.com/article/Taking-...hat/241260

And in another thread, I posted this 1985 article, covering CIA links to Harvard from 1985.
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/...0048-6.pdf
There is an old classic on this called: Cloak and Gown by Winks - about how the Ivy League Universities are used to recruit students and faculty for the intelligence agencies and military 'think tanks' et al. The secret societies such as Skull and Bones are used for this purpose, but ordinary classes are too...with certain professors looking for the right students to 'recruit'.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
I have that volume. There's another good one called HOW HARVARD RULES, which I've only read excerpts of, but which seems very on target. Graham Allison opened the door there to Pentagon and CIA money in 1976, and I think the military and intelligence establishment eventually got more than their money's worth. That's Zelikow's school, btw.
Remember too that the children of the ultra-rich go and blue-bloods [sic] go to those universities. The thinking is that they are easy prey to the 'culture' of the intelligence community which has the elite country club mentality - something few working class students on a scholarship would easily be enticed into - although that happens occasionally. They also target the best schools in the hope of getting the best and the brightest - although it often doesn't work out that way. G. W. Bush is a classic example of that - but there are so many others. Few of the really top students want to exist in the amoral world of 'intelligence'. This system of using Universities for recruiting seems in its modern sense to be a British invention - using Oxford and Cambridge as their main recruiting stations. It now also has been expanded to foreign universities that teach in English and even a few that do not teach in English as their primary language - in order to have access to people from other cultures and languages they need for their operations. I know of one such university doing so here in Europe - and I'm sure there are many others.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
I have a long, 9/11 related piece to type up about the history of the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard which will raise quite a few eyebrows when it's done, but it has to stay dormant for a while yet. Some major pieces of that puzzle have been hiding in plain sight for some time.
Anthony Thorne Wrote:Out in October.

Quote:Spy Schools: How the CIA, FBI, and Foreign Intelligence Secretly Exploit America's Universities

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Daniel Golden exposes how academia has become a major target of foreign and domestic espionage―and why that is troubling news for our nation's security and democratic values.

Grounded in extensive research and reporting, Spy Schools reveals that globalization―the influx of foreign students and professors and the outflow of Americans for study, teaching, and conferences abroad―has transformed U.S. higher education into a front line for international spying. In labs, classrooms, and auditoriums, intelligence services from countries like China, Russia, and Cuba seek insights into U.S. policy, recruits for clandestine operations, and access to sensitive military and civilian research. The FBI and CIA reciprocate, tapping international students and faculty as informants. Universities ignore or even condone this interference, despite the tension between their professed global values and the nationalistic culture of espionage.
Taking advantage of patriotic fervor and fear in the wake of 9/11, the CIA and other security agencies have infiltrated almost every aspect of academic culture and enlist professors, graduate students, and even undergraduates to moonlight as spies. Golden uncovers shocking campus activity―from the CIA placing agents undercover in Harvard Kennedy School classes and staging academic conferences to persuade Iranian nuclear scientists to defect, to a Chinese graduate student at Duke University stealing research for an invisibility cloak, and a tiny liberal arts college in Marietta, Ohio, exchanging faculty with China's most notorious spy school―to show how relentlessly and ruthlessly both U.S. and foreign intelligence services are penetrating the ivory tower.

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Schools-Intel...1627796355

Two more links.

TAKING STOCK OF THE TIES THAT BIND HARVARD'S KENNEDY SCHOOL AND THE CIA
http://www.chronicle.com/article/Taking-...hat/241260

And in another thread, I posted this 1985 article, covering CIA links to Harvard from 1985.
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/...0048-6.pdf

Thanks for the share, Mr. Thorne. Have ordered this (to be shipped out Oct. 10th).

In addition to recruitment on campus, not a small part of filling the billets happen within the families of Company/FBI affiliates, carrying on a family tradition, as it were. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. See Janney/Hunt/Kaiser/W/etc. versus, well, I'll let Tom Scully give you the versus list, he is good at that sort of thing.

Notice also the publisher of this book, Henry Holt & Company, a bit more respectable than Judyth Baker's publishing enterprise, I must say. Confucius confused.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Hidden Nazi: The Untold Story of America's Deal with the Devil. Nathaniel Richerson 19 17,769 19-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  DEATH OF A NATION: 9/11 and the Rise of Fascism in America Anthony Thorne 11 23,530 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  US National Intelligence Council: Global Trends - Paradox of Progress (free PDF) Paul Rigby 0 5,956 10-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  New book/documentary Hillary's America: Just a political smear. or will there be new evidence? Drew Phipps 2 6,149 12-07-2016, 05:33 AM
  Mae Brussell: Investigations of Fascism in America Peter Lemkin 10 73,795 24-06-2016, 04:34 AM
  Elias Davidsson's HIJACKING AMERICA'S MIND ON 9/11: Counterfeiting Evidence Anthony Thorne 10 16,903 15-03-2016, 08:36 AM
  Lance De Haven - Smith, Conspiracy Theory in America Albert Rossi 6 6,694 30-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Book: America's Nazi Secret Adele Edisen 4 5,047 14-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  The Man Who Warned America Bernice Moore 0 2,815 29-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Intelligence Articles John Kowalski 3 4,003 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan