Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German FOIA law
Germany has a FOIA law (Informationsfreiheitsgesetz).
Did you know that?
I did not. I am living in Germany for all my life. Maybe I am underinformed.

The CDU/CSU opposed it and tried to kill it ever since. Maybe something to consider in the upcoming elections. But there are no parties anyway worth voting for, don't you think?
But wait, there is http://www.pp-international.net/.
Check it out.
:bandit:
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".
Yes, most FOI is a well kept secret least people actually find out about it and, god forbid, use it. When it is not the possessive pedantic bureaucrats resentful of an outsider coming in to their territory it is the extortionate fees in some places which make it very expensive to actually exercise the right to this information. It is perhaps better called 'Freedom From Information'. I do wish there were much more openness and transparency in all parts of public life and business life.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Carsten Wiethoff Wrote:Germany has a FOIA law (Informationsfreiheitsgesetz).
Did you know that?
I did not. I am living in Germany for all my life. Maybe I am underinformed.

The CDU/CSU opposed it and tried to kill it ever since. Maybe something to consider in the upcoming elections. But there are no parties anyway worth voting for, don't you think?
But wait, there is http://www.pp-international.net/.
Check it out.
:bandit:

As I've been working on a book on the some secret aspects of the end of WW2 and the occupation afterwards, I wonder if those documents are included - any idea how far back this act claims to provide documents for? - although many are Allied Occupation documents and captured Nazi documents, granted [some not yet returned to Germany - some have been]. It does appear to me that certain matters have been 'sanitized' on both sides - all sides. FOIA used to work (poorly) in the USA - then under Bush it almost stopped working. I've not heard if it has changed under Obama.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Magda Hassan Wrote:Yes, most FOI is a well kept secret least people actually find out about it and, god forbid, use it.

And if people do set about using it effectively, well, officialdom will fall back on the sort of tactics used against Craig Murray (ex-UK ambassador to Uzbekistan) to sanitise his book 'Murder in Samarkand'. Back in 2005 Craig was still battling with the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office over the contents of the book. He had made extensive use of the FoI Act to obtain documents relating to his dismissal as Ambassador and had posted them on his blog. Now, get this: He was forced to remove some of the documents because, in spite of them having been released to him under freedom of information legislation, the FCO still claimed copyright over them. Not only did they refuse permission to publish them, they threatened legal action which Craig was advised could easily bankrupt him to defend. QED.

Craig tells the story briefly here. At the time I forwarded them to both Cryptome and Wikileaks but the book had to be published without them because of that threat. You really couldn't make this up could you?
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Peter Presland Wrote:
Magda Hassan Wrote:Yes, most FOI is a well kept secret least people actually find out about it and, god forbid, use it.

And if people do set about using it effectively, well, officialdom will fall back on the sort of tactics used against Craig Murray (ex-UK ambassador to Uzbekistan) to sanitise his book 'Murder in Samarkand'. Back in 2005 Craig was still battling with the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office over the contents of the book. He had made extensive use of the FoI Act to obtain documents relating to his dismissal as Ambassador and had posted them on his blog. Now, get this: He was forced to remove some of the documents because, in spite of them having been released to him under freedom of information legislation, the FCO still claimed copyright over them. Not only did they refuse permission to publish them, they threatened legal action which Craig was advised could easily bankrupt him to defend. QED.

Craig tells the story briefly here. At the time I forwarded them to both Cryptome and Wikileaks but the book had to be published without them because of that threat. You really couldn't make this up could you?

:joyman:

Kafka's grey and labyrinthine corridors of power being traversed by the C21st ruling elites to protect Their filthy secrets and lies...

Quote:Someone must have traduced Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Meta-Archive of FOIA releases related to the National Security State Peter Lemkin 2 34,375 07-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Has anyone had the experience of doing a FOIA request of their FBI file? Kara Dellacioppa 4 10,375 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  ACLU FOIA 2004 proceeds/links: torture Ed Jewett 0 3,173 31-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett