Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leonard Peltier's Safety in Jeopardy
This just came in from an email list I am on.

/Forwarded on behalf of the Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee / *URGENT! Leonard Peltier's Safety in Jeopardy! **Call Canaan Federal Prison 570-488-8000 * Dear LP Supporters, I am so OUTRAGED! My brother Leonard was severely beaten upon his arrival at the Canaan Federal Penitentiary. When he went into population after his transfer, some inmates assaulted him. The severity of his injuries is that he suffered numerous blows to his head and body, receiving a large bump on his head, possibly a concussion, and numerous bruises. Also, one of his fingers is swollen and discolored and he has pain in his chest and ribcage. There was blood everywhere from his injuries. We feel that prison authorities at the prompting of the FBI orchestrated this attack and thus, we are greatly concerned about his safety. It may be that the attackers, whom Leonard did not even know, were offered reduced sentences for carrying out this heinous assault. Since Leonard is up for parole soon, this could be a conspiracy to discredit a model prisoner. He was placed in solitary confinement and only given one meal, this is generally done when you won't name your attackers; incidentally being only given one meal seriously jeopardizes his health because of his diabetes. Prison officials refuse to release any info to the family, but they need to hear from his supporters to protect his safety, as does President Obama. His attorneys are trying to get calls into him now. This attack on LP comes on the heels of the FBI's recent letter, prompting this attack by FBI supporters as an attempt to discredit LP as a model prisoner. Anyone who has been in the prison system knows well that if you refuse to name your attackers or file charges against them, then you lose your status as a victim and/or given points against your possible parole and labeled as a perpetrator. It is not uncommon, in fact is quite common for the government to use Indian against Indian and they still operate under the old adage "it takes an Indian to catch an Indian". In 1978, they made an attempt to assassinate him through another Indian man who was also at Marion prison with LP. But Standing Deer chose to reveal the plot to him instead of taking his life in exchange FOR A CHANCE AT FREEDOM. When Standing Deer was released in 2001, he joined the former Leonard Peltier Defense Committee as a board member. He also began to speak on Leonard's behalf until his murder six years ago today. Prior to his murder, Standing Deer confided with close friends and associates that the same man who visited him in Marion to assassinate Peltier, had came to Houston, TX and told him that he had better stay away from Peltier and anything to do with him. We are aware that currently, the FBI is actively seeking support for his continued imprisonment of Leonard Peltier and also also seeking support from Native People. So please be aware, and keep Leonard in your prayers. The FBI is apparently afraid of the impact we are having. If they will set him up to blemish his record just before a parole hearing, what will they do when it looks like his freedom will become a reality? We need to make sure that nothing happens to him again! Please write the President, send it priority or registered mail. Email to Change.gov or email President Obama. Call your congressional representatives and write letters, not email, to them. Do what you can to get the word out to insure that LP is receiving adequate medical attention for his injuries. I am asking you, supporters of Leonard and advocates of justice at this time to help. I don't know what else to do. Please Help! Thank you Betty Peltier-Solano Executive Coordinator Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee Also call and request Leonard be treated with dignity and respect. *Canaan Federal Prison 570-488-8000 * Leonard's prisoner number is 89637-132. Warden Ronnie R. Holt, Warden USP-Canaan U.S. Penitentiary 3057 Easton Turnpike Waymart, PA 18472 Phone: 570-488-8000 Fax: 570-488-8130 E-mail address: CAA/EXECASSISTANT@BOP.GOV D. Scott Dodrill, Director Northeast Regional Office Federal Bureau of Prisons 2nd & Chesnut Streets., 7th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19106 Phone: 215-521-7301 E-mail: NERO/EXECASSISTANT@BOP.GOV Harley G. Lappin, Director Bureau of Prisons U.S. Department of Justice 320 First Street, NW, Room 654 Washington, DC 20534 Phone: 202-307-3250 Fax: 202-514-6878 Ask President Obama to investigate this incident: The Honorable Barack H. Obama The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500 Comments: 202-456-1111 Switchboard: 202-456-1414 Fax: 202-456-2461 E-mail: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
That Mr. Peltier was railroaded cannot be in honest dispute.

At its deepest level, this is a spiritual conflict. Mr. Peltier and AIM represent forces that stand in timeless opposition to the savage materialism that gave birth to this country.

On a more prosaic level, Mr. Peltier reminds us of what to flag-waving Americans -- or, more precisely, to those whose power derives from the perpetuation of the secular religion known as nationalism -- is the most inconvenient of truths: the genocide of North American aboriginal peoples as the sine qua non for the very existence and subsequent physical expansion of the American political state.

Barack Obama must be made aware of Mr. Peltier's plight and asked to commute his sentence to time served. A full pardon is for the future; right now, we must save a life.
Yeah, LP was beaten up to damn his chances before the Parole Board. Just today I was listening to a very well-informed show on who really shot the agent he is accused of shooting - it was another agent [friendly fire] and had to be covered-up and blamed on a patsy. Another American Political Prisoner, of which there are many. Another innnocent man rotting in prison and deprived of his rights or even a fair trial, honest evidence and testimony - which happens ALL the time! Charles' eloquent and absolutely correct comments explain 'why Peltier' and why no FAIR or LEGAL intervention has thus far been allowed. When you get to the native American issue one sees America as an early version of what Israel is now doing with its Occupation. A land without people for a people without land - NOT - in either case.
Magda,
Thanks much for this story.I will be sending this info.to people I'm in contact with in the Indian Community.I agree with Charles.President Obama should commute the sentence of Leonard to time served.He HAS been a model prisoner for over thirty years.The adage that "it takes an Indian to catch an Indian"also rings true when you take into account that the FBI used a mentally unstable alcoholic womans testimony to send Leonard to prison.She later retracted her testimony.IT'S TIME !!!!!!!

Keith
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leonard Nimoy rushed to hospital with chest pains. Drew Phipps 0 3,115 24-02-2015, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Drew Phipps