Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Gerhardt and Big Tobacco cover up
Speaking from personal insight, I would say that bankers are devoid of a conscience and are inherently crooked.

Asking them to behave would be like asking the SS to stop murdering and torturing their camp inmates - or big tobacco to stop selling their death sticks to millions upon millions of people around the world from young kids on upwards.

Speaking of the Nazi era and big tobacco in the same breath, I have come across some interesting - nay very unsettling - info concerning a very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) chemist named "Frank Gerhardt, Ph. D", formerly of RJ Reynolds and the big tobacco law firm Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan and the very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) Boy from Brazil.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Quote:Speaking of the Nazi era and big tobacco in the same breath, I have come across some interesting - nay very unsettling - info concerning a very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) chemist named "Frank Gerhardt, Ph. D", formerly of RJ Reynolds and the big tobacco law firm Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan and the very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) Boy from Brazil.

The name Frank Gerhardt sounds German. Did the Nazis do research into smoking along with all their other human experimentation? Did RJ Reynolds have former Nazi scientists working for them? It would be just so appropriate in so many ways. I would like to know more.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
David Guyatt Wrote:...
Speaking of the Nazi era and big tobacco in the same breath, I have come across some interesting - nay very unsettling - info concerning a very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) chemist named "Frank Gerhardt, Ph. D", formerly of RJ Reynolds and the big tobacco law firm Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan and the very unpleasant, combative and ethically and morally challenged (imo, of course) Boy from Brazil.

Gerhardt worked for both RJ Reynolds and the law firm? Can you please clarify David?
"Frank Gerhardt" were Christian names - sorry "forenames" FG is Jewish - and not the family name.

Yes he worked for RJ Reynolds but transferred over to the law firm Jacob, Medinger & Finegan on behalf of the tobacco lobby (so far as I can see) to act as the chief scientist in 1983. Based on press reports and testimony, depositions etc I've read he was a significant player on behalf of the tobacco industry in fighting what became the historic "Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement".

The humungous MSA award remains a disgraceful affair simply because the award has been whittled down and delayed and delayed and delayed by appeals etc. Imo, it is a case study of how to defeat the law and overcome justice through the use of power, wealth and influence.

In her ruling (see: http://no-smoking.org/aug06/08-23-06-4.html) Federal Judge Gladys Kessler slammed the law firms for conspiring to hide the evidence of the adverse health effects of smoking that had been covered up and hidden for 50 years. He wrath was directed, in addition to tobacco executives, at three law firms who she regarded as being complicit in the cover up:

Quote:"At every stage, lawyers played an absolutely central role in the creation and perpetuation of the Enterprise and the implementation of its fraudulent schemes," the D.C. federal judge wrote. She pointed to how both in-house counsel and outside law firms "devised" and "coordinated" strategy, directed scientists' research in favor of the industry, destroyed documents and "took shelter behind baseless assertions of attorney client privilege."

And

Quote:Numerous lawyers and firms aided the tobacco industry over the years, but Kessler's opinion highlighted three firms in particular: Covington & Burling; Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan; and Shook, Hardy & Bacon.

(my bolding)

In regard to Frank Gerhardt I'll try and find an appropriate link and post it over the next few days.

Edit = to provide an idea of the immensity of tobacco mortality, in 1985 in the US alone, 780,000 deaths were attributed to tobacco according to the US Surgeon-General. And by 1985 the risk of death from toabacco had decreased considerably from 1950, and represented 34% of males aged 35 years dying at ages 35-69 as a percentage of the population. In 1950 this percentage was 43%, a percentage that remained stable until 1970.

These figures are for the US alone. We're talking millions upon millions of deaths directly resulting from the tobacco industry.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
David Guyatt Wrote:"Frank Gerhardt" were Christian names - sorry "forenames" FG is Jewish - and not the family name.

Yes he worked for RJ Reynolds but transferred over to the law firm Jacob, Medinger & Finegan on behalf of the tobacco lobby (so far as I can see) to act as the chief scientist in 1983. Based on press reports and testimony, depositions etc I've read he was a significant player on behalf of the tobacco industry in fighting what became the historic "Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement".

David,

Did Gerhardt give actual testimony/depositions as an expert witness?

And do you think his move from RJR to the law firm was a strategy to cloak his ties to RJR?
David Guyatt Wrote:"Frank Gerhardt" were Christian names - sorry "forenames" FG is Jewish - and not the family name.

The humungous MSA award remains a disgraceful affair simply because the award has been whittled down and delayed and delayed and delayed by appeals etc. Imo, it is a case study of how to defeat the law and overcome justice through the use of power, wealth and influence.

In her ruling (see: http://no-smoking.org/aug06/08-23-06-4.html) Federal Judge Gladys Kessler slammed the law firms for conspiring to hide the evidence of the adverse health effects of smoking that had been covered up and hidden for 50 years. He wrath was directed, in addition to tobacco executives, at three law firms who she regarded as being complicit in the cover up:

Quote:"At every stage, lawyers played an absolutely central role in the creation and perpetuation of the Enterprise and the implementation of its fraudulent schemes," the D.C. federal judge wrote. She pointed to how both in-house counsel and outside law firms "devised" and "coordinated" strategy, directed scientists' research in favor of the industry, destroyed documents and "took shelter behind baseless assertions of attorney client privilege."

And

Quote:Numerous lawyers and firms aided the tobacco industry over the years, but Kessler's opinion highlighted three firms in particular: Covington & Burling; Jacob, Medinger & Finnegan; and Shook, Hardy & Bacon.

(my bolding)

In regard to Frank Gerhardt I'll try and find an appropriate link and post it over the next few days.

Edit = to provide an idea of the immensity of tobacco mortality, in 1985 in the US alone, 780,000 deaths were attributed to tobacco according to the US Surgeon-General. And by 1985 the risk of death from toabacco had decreased considerably from 1950, and represented 34% of males aged 35 years dying at ages 35-69 as a percentage of the population. In 1950 this percentage was 43%, a percentage that remained stable until 1970.

These figures are for the US alone. We're talking millions upon millions of deaths directly resulting from the tobacco industry.

Why did he use his first names 'as' his full name, publicly? The big tobacco firms knew very well not only the health risks, but that cigarettes were highly addictive and hid all that information for decades; while promoting them even as 'healthy' [sooths your throat and calms your nerves] and certainly as the 'thing to do to be loved and accepted' in society.
I am interested to know more about this as it seems half my family dies from smoking related diseases. What happened about law suit? Is it still active?
To answer various questions I do have a deposition given by Frank G in a tobacco case which is quite damning in that it relates to a RJ Reynolds documents which outlines his job responsibilities )expressed as "Principal accountabilities"). Number one on the list was, and I quote: "Efficiently provide the technical expertise necessary for the company to combat anti-tobacco claims".

Also, Frank G's family name was used openly in the deposition and other literature, but I am withholding this for the time being as it would embarrass some one known to many of us here. And although that someone could do with a severe embarrassing, I'm not sure I should do that.

His move from R J Reynolds to the law firm was a tactic. Basically he was a RJR man though and through and retained his position at RJR. He also worked in temporary positions with other big tobacco law firms for much the same reasons, so far as I can gather anyway.
Quote:"Efficiently provide the technical expertise necessary for the company to combat anti-tobacco claims".

A paid disinformationist. A paid liar. Or as we like to say in the antipodes a bullshit artist.

I think I know where this is going.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Very interesting testimony below, of the I-am-not-guilty-of-anything-protect-my-rear attitude.

If I were to recap this testimony it wold amount to something along the lines of:

Quote:"Honest gov, I didn't - and still don't believe - smoking tobacco does harm to anyone (my attorney told me to say this because that way I can't be prosecuted). Happy? Whwther you are or aren't, I'm off to Augusta, Georgia, to watch the Masters Golf Tournament and play golf with my big tobacco buddies...

But to be pefectly honest about it, I am a little biased in this regard.

http://tobaccodocuments.org/rjr/51955753...art_page=1

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mission creep : CIA to be restructured to "cover entire universe": Director Magda Hassan 0 9,075 14-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan