Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Metal Jacket - shooting script versus film
Jan, the "lost" ending would've been so much more telling. A great pity it was cut, as it was very moving I thought.

Thank you also for that explanation of Michael Herr on his working relationship with Kubrick. It's very telling and important.

Oddly enough, I've been thinking of Shadow work this morning. This forum is shadow work, I think, in the sense that we are looking at the Collective Shadow manifesting itself in all sorts of situations. And those who come here to read and post will be learning something of their own personal shadow complex by virtue of their presence - albeit indirectly. Here eyes have been opened and once open cannot be closed again.

This actually is one reason I also regularly post about humour and music, as they are the antidote medicine to the depression - or as Durer had it in his woodcut "Melancholia" - that reading and digesting these shadow contents inflicts upon us all.

I think we both agree that the title of Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut speaks the words for those who avoid their own responsibility to approach and know their own Shadow, but rather revel in it.

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Messages In This Thread
Full Metal Jacket - shooting script versus film - by David Guyatt - 10-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sam Greelee Dead at 83 - FBI 'Pulled' His Film! [They Censored It!] Peter Lemkin 2 4,308 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  "The Snake and The Mongoose" film..... Jim Hackett II 0 3,333 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Jim Hackett II
  Film "Waltz with Bashir" Carsten Wiethoff 0 3,043 24-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Carsten Wiethoff
  Who financed which film? Paul Rigby 1 3,654 21-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  The Jacket - 2005 movie Jan Klimkowski 0 2,849 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski