Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Rogers on the state of Mae Brussells archive: Please read
I just received the following message from Ben. Please let him know that even without Mae's personal correspondence, The archive needs to be accessible to the public. Thanks, Kara

"Friends of John Judge,

Marilyn has encouraged me to keep moving forward on this project because it meant so much to John. This is an update on the latest developments toward moving the Mae Brussell papers from California to Waco.

Since my visit to Fremont CA in June to inspect the Mae Brussell papers at the home of Bob and Virginia McCullough, I have been working with Mae's daughter to secure a signed Gift Receipt to transfer the papers to Baylor. We cannot move them without a signed document.

Unfortunately, in my last exchange, the family requested that after we move the papers, our staff would remove all correspondence from/to Mae Brussell, all handwritten and typed analysis notes, , book drafts and outlines of Mae Brussell, photographs and documents pertaining to the family. In earlier conversations, we had talked about returning any personal family materials. Now with the addition of correspondence, analysis notes, book drafts and photographs, what would this leave of research value?

Having seen the materials, what would be left would be mostly photocopies of magazine articles and newspaper clippings. So I'm conflicted about the value of the large cost of moving the papers and then going through them looking for materials we need to return to the family. Would what is left be of interest to researchers if it is mostly magazine articles and news clippings? Isn't what researchers hoped for were her analysis notes and correspondence?

Nevertheless, I am still in touch with Mae's family and hope they see the value of leaving the materials together. Our library cannot devote one to two years processing materials that we are going to return to the donor. Neither would it be a good use of the resources which you have donated to move papers with decreased research value. So stay tuned. When there is a working agreement with the family, I'll let you know. I haven't given up yet.

If you know other researchers interested in this project, please forward this update to them.
Ben

Messages In This Thread
Ben Rogers on the state of Mae Brussells archive: Please read - by Kara Dellacioppa - 15-08-2014, 12:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Meta-Archive of FOIA releases related to the National Security State Peter Lemkin 2 34,375 07-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Israel Lobby Archive Magda Hassan 0 4,092 03-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  JFK Research Archive Bernice Moore 2 4,749 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  Procedure for getting documents declassified from US State Dept. Magda Hassan 0 4,111 09-10-2011, 05:23 AM
  jfk kennedy presidential digital archive online access to a legacy. Bernice Moore 0 3,366 17-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Overview of Capitalism-Militarism-Politics-National Security State Peter Lemkin 0 2,723 21-05-2009, 08:44 AM
  85 billion web pages here. The Way Back Machine Internet Archive Magda Hassan 2 4,523 22-02-2009, 06:59 PM
  Kennedy Assassination Newspaper Archive Magda Hassan 1 4,244 22-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  History of Kosovo from early times until US puppet state. Magda Hassan 0 5,007 25-10-2008, 02:40 PM