Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Rules
Jack White Wrote:In very lengthy posts containing quotes from a second party,
I frequently lose track of the party of the first part and the
party of the second part.

I do not mind length per se, but length without knowing who
is talking is something I usually scroll right through. If it is
too hard to know who is speaking, I lose interest.

Jack

Jack - a most fair point.

However, when one hits the "quote" button, as I have done to your post, you will see the following within square brackets.

QUOTE=Jack White;18387 and /QUOTE

If one wants to quote a particular part of a post, or a particular part of an exchange, then as long as one preserves these codes within square brackets, then the identity of the original poster(s) will still be clear.

What I personally find most irritating is a long post which is immediately quoted in full for the new poster to offer a couple of words of new commentary. It can lead to an entire page of a thread containing no more than three or four fresh thoughts.

My own judgement is that if one is responding to a post immediately above, it creates a much more fluid discussion to state: "With regard to post #3 above" or to select within quote marks the particular point being addressed.

My post #23 here:
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/...800&page=3

is an example of where I have used the square quote brackets to extract the two parts of Ruben Mundaca's post which I want to address. It's clear who is talking when and, in my judgement, leads to a more fluid conversation than quoting an entire post.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Messages In This Thread
Forum Rules - by The Moderators - 29-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Forum Rules - by The Moderators - 09-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Forum Rules - by Jan Klimkowski - 15-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Forum Rules - by Jack White - 16-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Forum Rules - by Jan Klimkowski - 16-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Forum Rules - by The Moderators - 21-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Forum Rules - by David Guyatt - 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Gentleperson's Guide To Forum Spies Greg Burnham 3 13,685 13-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  The Gentleperson's Guide To Forum Spies Greg Burnham 0 12,056 29-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Greg Burnham