Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A history of Ramparts magazine
Paul Rigby Wrote:Metamorphosed from mildly modernising/dissident Catholic think-rag (featuring, at least once, Thomas Merton) of the period 1962-65, into ultimate radical chic provocateur (1967-75).

Ran a number of influential - and, in some instances, thoroughly misleading - pieces on the Dallas coup; the CIA; and some intermittent Chomsky.

Predictably, I thought it was rather closer to a wing of the CIA than it let on. But that's just me.

In its October 1966 edition, Ramparts dedicated its central section to a lengthy, advert-free, investigation of the JFK assassination, the David Welsh-edited In The Shadow of Dallas. In the same edition, on the worn heels of William W. Turner’s penitential memoir of FBI service – “I was a burglar, wiretapper, bugger and spy for the FBI,” a title that read rather more prosaically, one imagines, in the US than the UK - not to mention three pages of vintage Ginsberg gibberish, it served up the most famous spoof in the canon of JFK assassination literature, the review by Jacob Brackman (“a staff editor of the New Yorker magazine”) and Faye Levin (“a graduate of Radcliffe…published in the Harvard crimson”) of a non-existent book by an imaginary author: Ulov G. K. Leboeuf’s self-published tetralogy, Time of the Assassins.

As with most successful satires, the review prepared its trap with some care. It began by examining three real works - by Epstein (Legend), Weisberg (Whitewash I), and Lane (Rush to Judgment) – which the duo briskly considered before dismissing them with a judgment of some acuity. All three works, they noted, suffered from an “overweaning reluctance to point a finger.” Then it was on to Leboeuf, and a piece of sustained mockery which combined the knowingness of Monocle, that who’s who of CIA officers and literary fellow-travellers, with a buff’s eye for testimony detail, albeit of a special kind – that which the nominal opposition under review never mentioned. One paragraph has lingered with me ever since I first read it:

Quote:One eyewitness to the shooting, Merriweather Really, described the initial reaction as appearing to be an awkward, insufficiently rehearsed play. Two shots rang out in quick succession, he stated, sounding like they were coming from Kennedy’s car itself, or from one of the cars right behind. “The Vice-President slapped Andy Youngblood on the back and whooped, and the entire brigade of police and secret service men made a dash for the Knoll, almost as if,” testified Really, “they had known in advance they were going to head that way.”

Which, of course, they did:

Quote:Jack Franzen: “He noticed the men, who were presumed to be Secret Service Agents, riding in the car directly behind the President's car, unloading from the car, some with firearms in their hands, and noticed police officers and these plain clothesmen [sic] running up the grassy slope across Elm Street from his location and toward a wooded and bushy area located across Elm Street from him,” Statement to the FBI, November 24, 1963.

http://www.jfk-online.com/franzen.html

Messages In This Thread
A history of Ramparts magazine - by Paul Rigby - 06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
A history of Ramparts magazine - by Paul Rigby - 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM
A history of Ramparts magazine - by Paul Rigby - 16-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jewish History, Jewish Religion: The Weight of Three Thousand Years Lauren Johnson 7 3,544 22-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  History of the World Economic Forum Lauren Johnson 0 1,657 03-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  The Pentagon's Brain by Annie Jacobsen (An Uncensored History of DARPA) Drew Phipps 1 4,767 16-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Revelation: The End of Days airs Monday night History Channel 9 EST Drew Phipps 0 3,903 28-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  CBS News Senior Correspondent rewites history of Presidents Bernice Moore 0 3,419 09-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Acid Dreams: The Complete Social History of LSD: The CIA, The Sixties, and Beyond Magda Hassan 21 27,036 06-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  The Dark History of Population Control Magda Hassan 5 6,790 24-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  texas school board rewrites us history promoting GOD, AND GUNS, Bernice Moore 2 3,686 20-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Lobster magazine : on-line Chris Bowen 1 3,546 14-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Life Magazine archive now available on Google Books Magda Hassan 0 2,798 20-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan