Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
February 13 is an infamous anniversary; The firebombing of Dresden
As Kurt Vonnegut's narrator in Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death says:

So it goes...

Quote:"You were just babies then!" she said.
"What?" I said.
"You were just babies in the warlike the ones upstairs!"
I nodded that this was true. We had been foolish virgins in the war, right at the end of childhood.
"But you're not going to write it that way, are you." This wasn't a question. It was an accusation.
"II don't know," I said.
"Well I know," she said. "You'll pretend you were men instead of babies, and you'll be portrayed in the movies by Frank Sinatra and John Wayne or some of those other glamorous, war-loving, dirty old men. And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs."
So then I understood. It was war that made her so angry. She didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars. And she thought wars were partly encouraged by books and movies.
So I held up my right hand and I made her a promise:
"Mary," I said, "I don't think this book of mine is ever going to be finished. I must have written five thousand pages by now, and thrown them all away. If I ever do finish it, though, I give you my word of honor: there won't be a part for Frank Sinatra or John Wayne.
"I tell you what," I said, "I'll call it The Children's Crusade."
She was my friend after that.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Messages In This Thread
February 13 is an infamous anniversary; The firebombing of Dresden - by Jan Klimkowski - 14-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50th anniversary of murders of 3 civil rights workers in Mississippi for Freedom Summer Peter Lemkin 3 5,549 27-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Anniversary of Vietnamese people's victory and US defeat in Vietnam Magda Hassan 0 2,895 30-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Think Again: Pearl Harbor: Another (Unhappy) Anniversary Bernice Moore 2 5,390 10-12-2011, 03:34 AM
  List of anniversary candidates - Input is always welcome Myra Bronstein 25 62,701 26-11-2011, 04:04 AM
  NSC Intelligence Directive No. 7: Domestic Exploitation (12 February 1948 ) Ed Jewett 0 2,935 03-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  50th Anniversary Of Treaty Outlawing Cannabis Worldwide Magda Hassan 2 4,670 31-03-2011, 09:20 AM
  50th Anniversary of Bay of Pigs Bernice Moore 1 4,059 19-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Trowbridge H. Ford
  Anniversary of Nazi invasion of USSR Helen Reyes 0 3,121 22-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Helen Reyes
  Kent State Anniversary Blues Keith Millea 1 3,787 17-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett