Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing the Police State to children
An easy mistake to make, I guess. But I don't recall a similar response to thousands of gang members driving around the nation who are known to be armed and dangerous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...unman.html

[Image: article-1140943-035F5780000005DC-30_468x351.jpg]

Operation toy pistol: Police swoop on Wild West theme party after guest is mistaken for gunman
By DAVID WILKES
Last updated at 7:49 AM on 11th February 2009

Comments (34)
Add to My Stories

The Wild West party for the Worthingtons' silver wedding anniversary was getting into full swing.

Guests dressed as cowboys were heading from the church where the couple had renewed their vows to a hoedown booked at the pub.

But the local lawmen headed them off at the pass.

Acting on a report that a gunman was on the loose, armed officers in four squad cars swooped while a police helicopter hovered overhead.

A passer-by had dialled 999 after mistaking the revellers for real-life gunslingers.

In fact, none of the 80-strong posse was carrying anything more deadly than a cap gun or a water pistol.

Although the misunderstanding did not stop the party going ahead as planned, Val Worthington accused the police of going 'over the top'.

She said she had warned officers well in advance of the party in Castle Donington, Leicestershire.

'Because of the gun laws, I phoned them in November to tell them we were having this themed do,' said the 47-year-old mother of three. 'I didn't think any more about it.

'On the day about 80 people turned up in costume. Some were dressed as saloon girls, others Indians, Mexicans, all ready for a good party.

'We were walking from the church to the pub just before lunchtime when we noticed the helicopter. Then we saw the armed police by the pub.

'There were four police cars parked outside. An officer approached me and said they had had a report of someone walking around with a gun.

'But ours looked nothing like real guns. Most of them were blue and white and made from plastic, and some people even had water pistols.

'To be fair, I suppose they have to respond. The officer said to me: "I can see it's just a bit of fun. We'll leave you to it. Enjoy the party."

'But I just couldn't believe what happened. It was so over the top. Maybe one police car going round the village would have been enough.'

Her husband Roy, a courier, chose the Wild West theme because he is a fan of cowboy films. 'I can't believe anyone who saw us walking around would have thought we were a danger to the public - I was carrying two cap guns,' said the 47-year-old.

'When I looked up in the air and saw the chopper I said to Val as a joke: "Oh, you've bought me a helicopter as an anniversary present".

'We just laughed and carried on walking, and then all of a sudden four cop cars pulled up. No one seemed to know what was going on. I can see the funny side now, but it was just a total waste of money by the police.

'At the end of the day it was just people having a bit of fun.'

Tina Whiting, landlady of the Moira Arms, the pub the police swooped on, said: 'I'd have thought they might have investigated exactly what was happening a bit more before they got the helicopter out.'

A police spokesman said: 'We have a duty to treat all reports of firearms as genuine.'

He said the force helicopter was already in the area when the report was received.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Messages In This Thread
Marketing the Police State to children - by David Guyatt - 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Soldiers "Prepared to Die For the Jewish State" Lauren Johnson 0 6,333 15-03-2018, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Understanding the U S War State David Guyatt 1 10,994 23-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The Deep State: Organized Around War and Theft Lauren Johnson 8 35,824 28-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Afghanistan: The Making of a Narco State Peter Lemkin 0 5,376 29-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Corporatocracy - how the corporate welfare state divides and conquers David Guyatt 0 2,704 18-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The Rise of the Police State and the Absence of Mass Opposition Ed Jewett 10 8,207 28-07-2012, 08:04 PM
  Violence, USA: The Warfare State and the Brutalizing of Everyday Life Peter Lemkin 5 8,281 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Police search MoD HQ after leak of Liam Fox letter Jan Klimkowski 2 2,461 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Great Talk On National Nuclear Security State! Peter Lemkin 0 3,164 25-02-2010, 09:18 AM
  Police officer 'instinctively' shot colleague during training exercise David Guyatt 2 3,642 16-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan