Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vaclav Havel Dies at 75 this morning
While both of the critiques you posted above Magda I do not find offensive nor 'wrong', they portray only a part of the man. He was, after all, a playwright, not a politician [though he became one after being pushed and never to his pleasure, IMO]. Anyone who was a friend of Frank Zappa [and asked him to become the Czech Minister of Culture], a friend of the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela; who continued to write poetry and plays during and after his time in office, can't be all bad. Yes, he befriended Albright and others in the US and European Administrations I am not happy about and he fell into the trap [that so many in the former 'East' did] of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. He also did so many, many good things on a humanitarian and cultural level and started many foundations for peace and critical thinking about the problems of the world from a very progressive perspective. His loss of popularity in the CZE was mostly due to his marrying a movie star [though a very intelligent and educated woman] after his first wife died. He was constantly critical of his follower V. Klaus who is an American-style neo-conservative. He allowed some of his close aides to smoke joints and take magic mushrooms [when not working] and was a champion of many progressive causes. His blind spot, yes, was that he felt America and NATO could do little wrong - since they had been the enemy of the one that imprisoned and tortured him. Human, human, all too human. The is a great outpouring of nostalgia and grief for his death here. It is the biggest story in years or decades. More on him and the CZE reaction soon.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Messages In This Thread
Vaclav Havel Dies at 75 this morning - by Peter Lemkin - 19-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tom Hayden Dies at 76 Peter Lemkin 5 8,318 25-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Whitlam Dies - Government Overthrown in Oz by British-USA Cabal Peter Lemkin 11 14,838 17-10-2015, 05:21 AM
  Tomas Young, Veteran Author of ‘The Last Letter,’ Dies Peter Lemkin 2 3,718 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM
  Maya Angelou Dies at 86 - Great Writer and Freedom Fighter Peter Lemkin 4 4,454 30-05-2014, 08:08 AM
  A Locally Important Inventor Of Communist-Era Deception In Czechoslovakia Dies Peter Lemkin 0 2,801 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
  Oldest known Holocaust survivor dies aged 110 Peter Lemkin 1 4,292 25-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  Sharon Dies. I shed no tears...... Peter Lemkin 12 6,913 13-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Man Who Sought Truth in Mass Murder Teikoku Ginko Bank Case Dies in Tokyo Magda Hassan 1 3,703 21-10-2013, 07:34 AM
  Gore Vidal Dies - Another Great Human Is Gone at 86 Peter Lemkin 14 8,650 06-08-2012, 05:27 AM
  Vidal Sassoon, "anti-fascist warrior hairdresser", dies Magda Hassan 0 2,874 10-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan