Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 US judges provide children for private jail for $2 million
I can only feel utter disgust at the actions of these abusive corrupt men.

US judges admit taking kickbacks

[Image: _45473352_judge_ap226b.jpg] The judges face sentences of more than seven years

Two US judges charged with taking more than $2m (£1.4m) in kickbacks from a privately-run detention centre have pleaded guilty to fraud.
Prosecutors say Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan took the money in return for giving young offenders long sentences to serve in the centre.
The deal allowed PA Child Care LLC and a sister company to receive extra government funds, they say.
The judges in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, have both been suspended.
They have pleaded guilty to honest services fraud and tax fraud.
The plea agreements provide for prison sentences of more than seven years.
Mr Conahan had shut down a county detention centre in 2002 and signed a deal with PA Child Care LLC to send offenders to its new centre, prosecutors say.
They said Mr Ciavarella sent youths to the detention centre while taking money in return, though the judge has specifically denied sending youths to jail for cash, the Associated Press news agency reports.
'Disgraced'
Campaigners have complained that Mr Ciavarella gave out overly harsh sentences for minor offenses.
A spokeswoman for the non-profit Juvenile Law Center said 1,000-2,000 juveniles who came before the judge between 2003 and 2006 received excessively harsh sentences.
Many of the children were first-time offenders and had no lawyers to defend them.
The judge sent a quarter of his juvenile defendants to detention centres from 2003 to 2006, compared with a state average of one in 10, the AP reported.
"Your statement that I have disgraced my judgeship is true," Mr Ciavarella wrote in a letter to the court, Reuters news agency reports.
"My actions have destroyed everything I worked to accomplish and I have only myself to blame."
Mr Conahan made no comment.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
2 US judges provide children for private jail for $2 million - by Magda Hassan - 14-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Yemenite Children Affair Carsten Wiethoff 1 9,941 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Albania's missing children Magda Hassan 0 6,983 13-06-2014, 03:48 PM
  Australian Sally Ann rented out hostel children to paedos David Guyatt 2 5,858 04-02-2014, 04:52 AM
  Wikileaks Reveals The Strange Story Of 120 Chinese Children Who Disappeared in Stockholm Magda Hassan 0 3,747 31-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  Children in Care of Irish Government Ended Up Working in Brothels Ed Jewett 1 3,208 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Organized Abduction, Torture, Exploitation and Murder of Women and Children on Canada's West Coast Magda Hassan 6 32,785 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
  Sex trade of children rampant in US Ed Jewett 0 2,888 17-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  DNA tests as Argentina seeks children of 'disappeared' Magda Hassan 8 7,955 26-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Austin Kelley
  A new varient on 'trafficing' - by Judges of Children! 0 805 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: