Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tillerson's saber-rattling with China
David Guyatt Wrote:Let's not forget that Obama had already announced a major policy shift with his pivot to Asia.

Besides that it was Trump's foreign affairs guru (and Rockefeller man) Henry Kissinger and co's idea that the US had to repair bridges with Russia specifically in order to drive a wedge between the ever developing Sino-Russian friendship, because if those two powers remained locked in a military as well as an economic alliance, they would represent the greatest threat to the US/NATO neoliberal order --- bar none.

Thus a divide and conquer strategy was hatched in the shadows.

Ergo, I don't see Tillerson's choice as Sec of State and the decision to mend the relationship with Russia at all surprising, anymore than I find his China sabre rattling at all surprising.

It seems quite evident to me that the Trump presidency signals a factional realignment amongst the US elite. Going out are the neocons/neo-liberals because they overcommitted on their ideological zealotry and thus lost the support of the pragmatic US elite - who I imagine must've been developing ulcers watching these nutters destroy the US from the inside. Coming in are the Kissinger/Rockefeller faction who eventually saw the danger to America's hegemony and moved accordingly to put Hilary out of our misery, and place Trump in power.

But I rather suspect they may have moved too late, because I don't think Putin or Russia will be pressured or bought to disrupt their closer ties to China.

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe the days of the US as a sole superpower are rapidly waning. And if that proves to be true, the US elite only have themselves to blame, because history has repeatedly taught us that great power, used arrogantly and for narrow, selfish ends always corrupts itself.

This is more or less what I see. Also don't forget Obama's TPP which specifically excluded China. Now dead in the water any way as Trump isn't supporting these sort of trade blocks just bilateral trade. Hilary thoroughly endorsed it until late in the day when she realised that it was electoral poison. Too late.[/quote]

Attached Files
.jpg   7343.jpg (Size: 328.78 KB / Downloads: 10)
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
Tillerson's saber-rattling with China - by Magda Hassan - 18-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Exceptionalism Equals US Militarism: China the New US Enemy David Guyatt 0 3,580 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  China mobilises at Myanmar border after Myanmar bombs Chinese villiage killing 4 Magda Hassan 0 3,973 14-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Corbett Report - China and the New World Order R.K. Locke 0 3,541 10-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  Biggest attack in years kills 31 in China's troubled Xinjiang Magda Hassan 0 3,165 22-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Obama's Geopolitical China 'Pivot' - The Pentagon Targets China Adele Edisen 1 3,929 07-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Why China Wants South China Sea Ed Jewett 0 3,450 20-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  US, China and the war in Sri Lanka by Peter Symonds Paul Rigby 0 3,495 25-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  Pakistan-China connection Magda Hassan 2 5,998 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  AFRICOM China and Congo resource wars Paul Rigby 1 4,007 19-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Mark Stapleton