Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Proposal
I certainly would be interested in a get-together in some highly-desirable location catered with the finest refreshments known to the human capability. Should I win the lottery for scads of money and manage to keep it safe from the marauders of the world, I'd be more than willing to cover the entire costs including those of travel, housing, etc. But all of that is a pipe dream... and, anyway, we might become like another Davos or Bilderberg group and garner a high degree of unwanted attention and party-crashers. The simpler process of each individual investing in a decent head-set and a personal share in Skype enables small conversations involving 3-5 people at a time; each could raid their own fridge, larder and household supply cabinet at the pre-assigned time for their own snacks, liqueurs, and tongue-loosening agents. What it would require, simply (ha!), would be some agreement to participate and be recorded (or not), some agreement on the range of allowable topic (or not), some trust or agreeement regarding editing rights, privileges, review, etc. Like anything else, it would require some trust that would either be built upon (or not), and the process would go where agreement, energy, interest, success and available time would take it.

Let me throw out several examples:

#1) Albarelli's new book on doctored French bread has attracted a lot of interest; he is here, some here have read it, and lots of people want to read it. At some appropriate time (given Albarelli's fiduciary interests), it might be nice to have three or four people here spend an hour talking about it and its issues, ramifications,etc. Said tape could be made available through DPF or some selected vendor or process, with possible proceeds to be debated, negotiated, etc.

#1A) Almost any topic, properly done and with good timing, might be an income-generator of some sort for the web site, group, etc. I appreciate this is a dicey topic and I have no experience in the reality of it, but I would think many conversations would be of their own merit even without having to pull the burden of income, negotiations, etc.

#2) Any small group of members could get together by agreement arrived at independently via PM or e-mail to "chat" (for recording or not) on any topic they selected.

#3) Members could suggest an audio conversation between ___ and ____ on the topic of _____; it might not fly or come to pass, but then on the other hand, it might.

#4) Some venue or thread could be created in which members or readers could ask questions; the most intriguing of those could be selected as fodder for some enterprising interviewer/host to use as conversation starters.

There are no doubt others, subject to your own imagination, interest and creativity, and a healthy dose of reality and reasonableness.

Via virtual means, it is doable and realistic, and would be simply what you or anyone else wanted to make of it.

[David Guyatt: Empty your PM mailbox and check your e-mail.]
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Messages In This Thread
A Proposal - by Ed Jewett - 25-03-2010, 06:37 PM
A Proposal - by Ed Encho - 25-03-2010, 07:44 PM
A Proposal - by Nathaniel Heidenheimer - 27-03-2010, 04:55 PM
A Proposal - by David Guyatt - 27-03-2010, 08:12 PM
A Proposal - by Carsten Wiethoff - 27-03-2010, 08:40 PM
A Proposal - by Ed Jewett - 27-03-2010, 11:45 PM
A Proposal - by Magda Hassan - 28-03-2010, 12:26 AM