Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster
Ed Jewett Wrote:CBS - 60 Minutes - Deepwater Horizon's Blowout part 1

CBS - 60 Minutes - Deepwater Horizon's Blowout part 2

Thank you, Wundermaus. Thank you, Sixty Minutes.

As I watched that report, five things came to mind.

The first is the book “Deep Survival”. See http://www.deepsurvival.com/ . I highly recommend it. It is in the bibliography for “Summon The Magic” and probably contributed to my own survival.

The second is the book “Normal Accidents: Living with High-Risk Technologies” by systems-behavior expert Charles Perrow, also previously referenced in my work in disaster management; think Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Bhopal. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0691004129

The third is the work done by Tim Gallwey in “The Inner Game of Work”, excerpted in my compendium called “Summon The Magic”,

Sometimes we find ourselves functioning mindlessly, without focus, in a series of routines and unconscious reactions; things get done in default mode, a performance momentum that prevails automatically when conscious choice or remembrance of purpose is missing. It is Self 1's unconscious, mechanistic way of doing things, like a billiard ball's momentum that has movement but not the freedom and purpose that creates successful outcomes. There is a simple 4-step technique we can use to disconnect from our tunnel vision to restore mobility and
purpose, to disengage from the demands of the immediate situation and step back for a momentary change in perspective. It's called STOP.”

For a short excerpt on the aspects of “step back, think, organize your thoughts, and proceed”, drop me a note.

The fourth is the work of Leonard Marcus, Ph.D.

“One of the major sources for conflict in any system, but especially those preparing to or actually responding to an emergency, is the conflict between power and expertise.”

“If people are not paying attention to one another in the planning and preparation phase, they are less likely to do so during an actual emergency."

See pages 9-11 in “Coalescing Effective Community Disaster Response: Simulation and Virtual Communities of Practice”. December 2005 www.iaem.com/documents/SimsandVCOPs1.pdf
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Messages In This Thread
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Ed Jewett - 17-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Myra Bronstein - 25-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Myra Bronstein - 25-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Mark Stapleton - 27-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Mark Stapleton - 28-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Myra Bronstein - 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Louisiana deep oil drilling disaster - by Myra Bronstein - 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM