Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's happening in Greece right now
Magda Hassan Wrote:Greece: A Very Important Event

October 31, 2011 By Nikos Raptis

Nikos Raptis's ZSpace Page / ZSpace

In my ZNet Commentary, "Greece: 'The Odd Man Out'", of April 22, 2002, I mentioned:
"The palm-gesture...with all fingers extended apart... (known as 'moutza' [pronounced: moo'tza], of Byzantine, or French, or Venetian origin) is considered by the Greeks as the ultimate insult towards a person. ...."

[Image: raptisgreece.jpg]
The high school kid, 16 or 17 years old, shows the disapproval

of an entire people, the Greek people, against the adult Greek "proxies"

of Merkel, Sarkozy, Hilary, and Obama.

I thought about posting this wonderful piece but refrained, in part because I did not know if there were a global translation or equivalent for the famous gesture. In America -- where there is something similar afoot, co-opted and infiltrated as it appears to be, but which also appears to be being rejected-- we are much more efficient as we use only one finger. Other cultures use a full arm gesture. Other cultures actually perform the gesture in the form of torture, sexual abuse, murder, and abombinations of other sorts, such as was done to the Libyan recently.

Perhaps one service we here at Deep Politics Forum might perform is to find or perfect that universal global gesture-symbol and make it a meme.
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Messages In This Thread
What's happening in Greece right now - by Ed Jewett - 02-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syrian partition happening now Lauren Johnson 1 42,099 09-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Joseph Lucas
  Are the "Generals" About to Return to Greece? David Guyatt 0 3,969 23-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Greece, Israel Agree on military cooperation Ed Jewett 1 3,972 06-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Interesting things happening in Colombia. Court says no to US bases Magda Hassan 11 9,337 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
  3 Turkish senior military officers held on suspicion for coup plans in Greece. Magda Hassan 9 8,575 29-03-2010, 04:20 PM