Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Archetype of the Shadow
The following is extracted from a longer essay by one John Fraim - the balance of which isn’t necessary to this thread.

Quote:It is one of the strangest books Jung ever wrote and one of his last projects, published when he was seventy-six. Like Mysterium Coniunctionis and all of Jung's late works, Aion was written after his grave illness of 1944 from which he never believed he would recover. When he did survive he felt these years were like a gift, given to accomplish some final purpose in his life. A type of rebirth.

He decided he was going to write the way he wanted to and that his readers would have to make the major effort toward understanding. The book Aion was one of the fruits of this late "rebirth" in Jung's life and for him gave expression to a type of "secret knowledge" he felt he possessed. In a private conversation to Margaret Ostrowski-Sachs, published in Conversations with C.G.Jung, Jung told her:

"Before my illness I had often asked myself if I were permitted to publish or even speak of my secret knowledge. I later set it all down in Aion. I realized it was my duty to communicate these thoughts, yet I doubted whether I was allowed to give expression to them. During my illness I received confirmation and I now knew that everything had meaning and that everything was perfect."

More than Jung writing Aion, the book seemed to write him. Jung remarks in a letter to his good friend Victor White in December of 1947 that he needed to express something but was not sure what it was:

"I simply had to write a new essay I did not know about what...In spite of everything, I felt forced to write on blindly, not seeing at all what I was driving at. Only after I had written about 25 pages in folio, it began to dawn on me that Christ--not the man but the divine being--was my secret goal."

Rather than something planned out like a number of his other works, Jung notes to White that Aion "came to me as a shock" and he felt "utterly unequal to such a task."

If Jung's overall work might be compared to a great cathedral, the "priest" of the cathedral was less concerned with preaching the gospel to others as much as clarifying things in his own mind. After his illness it was therefore a time of deep reflection for Jung. His real life cathedral was his castle on the lake at Bollingen and he left it less and less.

But even for those who chose to make the journey to the Jungian Cathedral, it was still difficult to find the book Aion when they arrived. Rather than command a prominent place near the altar, it was more or less hidden from view. The "bookstore" of the cathedral--that publicity vehicle that parceled out pieces of Jungian thought to the general community--gave prominence to Jung's more accessible books such as Memories, Dreams, Reflections, Psychological Types and Modern Man in Search of a Soul. It left works such as Mysterious Coniunctionis, Answer to Job and Aion for the truly adventuresome to discover on their own terms as they left the main parts of the Jungian cathedral and ventured down into the basement to sift through old brittle, yellowed pages inside dusty boxes.

The book was originally published in German in 1951. The central theme of the work he set felt forced to write, the book he notes that "he set it all down in" and was able to speak his "secret language" contained the broadest scope of anything he had ever written. Its time line was the entire Christian aeon of two thousand years from the birth of Christ to the year 2,000 and the second millennium.

In the Foreword to Aion, Jung tells us that the theme of the book is the change of the psychic situation in the Christian aeon which coincides with the astrological conception of the Platonic month of the fishes or Pisces. Those familiar with astrology may recognize that the notion of the Platonic month is based on the astronomical procession of the equinoxes. The movement of the sun through each zodiacal sign is called the Platonic month. In the spring equinox of around 1 A.D., the beginning of the Christian aeon, the equinox left the sign of Aries and started into the sign of Pisces. Now, 2,000 years later, it is about to leave the sign of Pisces and enter that of Aquarius.

Aion is about this grand two thousand year cycle and the sequences contained within the cycle. Perhaps the best place to start when approaching Aion is with The Aion Lectures by Edward Edinger. These lectures were given at the Jung Institute of Los Angeles between 1988 and 1989 and, like Edinger's Mysterium lectures, also provide a short type of "Cliff Notes" to help one navigate the complex waters of the work.

As Edinger notes in the Forward to his book, "Jung's Aion laid the foundation for a whole new department of human knowledge, a scholarly discipline one might call archetypal psychohistory." It is a discipline based on the insights of depth psychology to the data of cultural history. "The historical process," writes Edinger, "can now be seen as the self-manifestation of the archetypes of the collective unconscious as they emerge and develop in time and space through the actions and fantasies of humanity."

While it is impossible to do justice to this work in the space we have here, we can briefly touch on the broad symbolism Jung approaches in Aion. Pisces is symbolized by the fish and Aquarius by the water carrier. The contextual symbolism is one between the dualities of inside and outside. The fish (Pisces) is contained within water while a water carrier (Aquarius) cannot be contained within water if he is to be a carrier of water. He (Aquarius) must be outside of the water. The aeon cycle therefore represents a change from being controlled by the container to being outside the container.

The fish may symbolize the psyche and Jung seems to be suggesting that the two eons will have a different relationship to the psyche. Jung might be suggesting that the context we have been discussing will evolve into a content and that a new context for humanity will evolve. The contextual symbolism which now contains humanity may be coming to the end of its cycle. The emerging symbolic struggle is to move out of water. As Edinger suggests in The Aion Lectures, with the coming Age of Aquarius "we have the image of a vessel, an allusion to the symbolism of the alchemical vessel and to the capacity to contain the psyche, rather than be contained by it." Instead of being a fish contained in a psychic fish pond, the individual becomes a conscious dispenser of the psyche.

Edinger suggests that Christ may have foreshadowed the age of the water carrier. Both Mark and Luke recount that Christ directed two of his disciples to make preparations for the last supper saying to them, "Go into the city and you will meet a man carrying a pitcher of water. Follow him." (Mark 14:13 and Luke 22:10) The man leads the disciples to the house in which they are to go to the upper room for the Passover meal of the last supper. And Christ was also seen as a water-bearer and water dispenser. To the Samaritan woman at the well he said that if she had asked him for a drink, he would have dispensed eternal living water for her. (John 4:10)

But, as Edinger remarks, the water Christ dispensed did not generate more dispensers. Rather it generated fish contained in the water. The church, Edinger speculates, became the water carrier, the fish pond in which the faithful fish could swim. The great secret knowledge of Jung was the discovery of the containment, the water. "If my reading of the symbolism of Aion is correct," says Edinger, "the aeon of Aquarius will generate individual water carriers." This will mean that the psyche will no longer be carried by religious communities but instead it will be carried by conscious individuals. "This is the idea Jung puts forward in his notion of a continuing incarnation, the idea that individuals are to become the incarnating vessels of the Holy Spirit on an ongoing basis."

In Aion Jung provides the broadest contextual basis for symbolism he ever explored. The symbolic contextualism is the archetype of the God-image (the Self) and how this archetype has progressively revealed itself in the course of the Christian aeon. With the creation of this strange book Jung was finally able to gain a sense of peace in his final years. His secret knowledge was indeed "permitted" to be brought forth into the world. And with it, a foundation for a new science of a symbolism of culture.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Messages In This Thread
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 26-01-2009, 02:12 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-04-2009, 05:42 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Peter Presland - 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Jan Klimkowski - 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 30-09-2009, 08:08 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Keith Millea - 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 28-10-2009, 02:35 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 18-12-2009, 11:36 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Magda Hassan - 19-12-2009, 12:17 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Charles Drago - 02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Charles Drago - 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 13-02-2010, 12:41 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 25-02-2010, 05:05 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Magda Hassan - 02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Chris Bowen - 04-03-2010, 01:25 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Chris Bowen - 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Ed Jewett - 23-07-2010, 07:48 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Gary Severson - 26-07-2011, 06:18 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 17-04-2013, 10:12 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by R.K. Locke - 18-09-2013, 09:16 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 19-09-2013, 08:27 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by R.K. Locke - 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Michael Falcone - 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 03-04-2016, 08:55 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by Michael Falcone - 04-04-2016, 12:05 AM
The Archetype of the Shadow - by David Guyatt - 04-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Consciousness and the Problem of the Shadow - The House of the Gathering David Guyatt 17 19,718 28-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  On the nature of the Shadow David Guyatt 2 4,321 16-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Jung, alchemy and the "Shadow" David Guyatt 0 3,530 04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt