PDA

View Full Version : Manifesto

Jack White
07-30-2009, 04:57 AM
A Manifesto of Human Sovereignty
by Francesca Caigatti
USA , December 6, 2008

Everyone who has any awareness at all is very aware that there is a battle going on for this planet. There are essentially two groups, one that is peaceful and loves this planet and has no money (the majority of the people on this planet). The other group is killing all life on this planet, has all the money, weapons, and power.

That group, the one in power has, IN JUST 60 YEARS, succeeded in poisoning this entire planet, all aspects
of it, including the oceans (through industrial and nuclear waste), the air (through pollution and chemtrails), the water (through industrial pollution), the soil (through factory farming), and our homes (through food, drugs, and products that poison us, directly or indirectly).

This group has also succeeded in militarizing this planet. Peace? Don’t make me laugh! They don’t want peace. How can we know that? Because of what they continue to do night and day while we schmucks are walking around talking about peace!

If they wanted peace, they’d stop doing what they are doing, for instance:
* They have built, and continue to research, design, and build ever-more-horrendous killing machines. They
now have bunker-buster nukes, suitcase nukes, micro-nukes – as if the small size makes the radiation go away! They use depleted uranium projectiles, which poison everything. They have back-engineered pulsed-beam weapons from alien craft that can disable all existing electronics. They have laser weapons that can kill you by frying your internal organs.
* They have gene-engineered super-soldiers while we argue about whether stem-cell therapies should be “allowed” for curing diseases.
* They have turned the very atmosphere of this planet into a cog in their killing machine while we argue about whether it’s “possible” to stop air pollution.
* They have turned the weather of this planet into a weapon. They have created HAARP which can cause earthquakes and hurricanes, and has been used for that purpose.
* They have created viruses for the purpose of releasing epidemics among the population so that millions of people will die, and other biological weapons to cause sickness and death.
* They have created “terminator seeds” -- they have stolen even Nature’s own ability to reproduce plants and foods. Ten thousand Indian farmers have committed suicide because they were forced to use gene-modified seeds, which failed, and there is no money to buy new seeds!

Do you think for one minute that any of this has happened by accident? This whole brutal killing, dying scenario goes on night and day supported by our tax dollars (which they extort from us by threat of fine or jail) and by illicit black dollars outside the control of Congress.

The group in control has succeeded in stealing from us our birthright of life and health, stealing from us our minds and our ability to reproduce. That group has succeeded in making us stupid. It has manipulated us into participating in our own destruction by dangling toys and gadgets before our eyes. All those toys and gadgets are produced by putting poisons in one form or another into our environment, but they don’t tell us that, so we think all this “good life” is so much fun and clamor to have it all. They have lied to us and we have believed them. And here we are today!

Information that is helpful in the support of health, the environment, and free choice, has been suppressed. In most cases, it takes a Freedom of Information Act Request to get pollution statistics about certain industries. It’s almost impossible to get anyone to actually clean up the air. Why?

We have been lied to for over 60 years about what our technology can and cannot do. We’ve been offered the gasoline-burning automobile ONLY, long enough to poison the air with clouds of gasoline-exhaust pollution.
We have been offered the gasoline-burning internal combustion engine ONLY, which contributes 70% of the poisons found in rainwater runoff, through leakage of gas and oil – petroleum products – into the soil and water reserves. Our “free market” has never existed. It is a controlled market. Alternate products and inventions have consistently been suppressed for over 60 years. This has been part of the poisoning plan. Petroleum is the single most poisonous substance on this planet, coming into major use worldwide in the 1940s.

Of these two groups, the ones in power have deliberately created these poisoned conditions on this planet. How can we know that? Because they could have made other choices at every step of the way, but they didn’t. And the stupid-ified and fearful population of this planet has not had the wherewithal to wake up and oppose them and make them stop poisoning us.

Those groups in power could have offered us other means of transportation, but they didn’t. We’ve had anti-gravity since the 1930s, but that was suppressed, except to the military. We’ve had electric vehicles, but they have been suppressed; they got rid of electric trolleys in cities. And now our auto-makers are moaning about their own collapse, when they wouldn’t be collapsing if they had given us what we needed all along – clean vehicles. They’ve poisoned our air.

Our small farmers were systematically driven out of business, so now we are stuck with factory farms whichuse petroleum-derived pesticides and fertilizers, which are so alien to the natural biology of this planet that the food is poisoned and the soil is depleted of minerals that we need for health. They’ve poisoned our bodies, stolen our health, and created many new mysterious neurological conditions for which there are no cures.

These things have not happened by accident. These have been consistent programs held in place by money and power. The opposing group has no money and no power. Although it has the majority of the bodies on this planet, it has not been able to stop them. Opposition comes from small organized groups of protestors, but nobody listens to them. They spend years fighting and arguing and bringing lawsuits, while the group in power keeps on making new destructive stuff!

Now we learn that we are all considered CHATTLE of the CORPORATION OF THE USA. We learn that even though we hold a “Deed” to our property, we do not really own anything. We learn that, even though under the law we “own” the rights to everything in the soil beneath our property to the center of the Earth, and everything in the sky above our property to infinity, they can still chemtrail over our houses and poison our water and there is nothing we can do about it.

There is nothing we can do about it. That is the mantra of everyone who opposes those in power whose goal is, apparently, to kill all the life on this planet. Well, folks, if we don’t figure out something we can do about it, you can kiss this planet goodbye. It’s very close to being kissed off right at this moment.

Why do they want to do all this?

There are many answers. You can choose the one that suits your level of belief. The most radical answer is that those in charge are not human and are not from this planet. They don’t need the natural biology of this planet, or this planet’s natural ecological balance, so if they kill it off, who cares?

This killing-off obviously has a beginning point in time, about 70 years ago, in the 1940s. Before that, this planet was healthy. Ordinary people knew (it was “common knowledge”) that they were natural biological beings and that they had a symbiotic relationship with this planet. They knew things, like natural healing. This planet gives us everything we need for health. The old folks knew that. Today, only “health food” people and organic farmers know that. Everyone else – essentially in the timespan of only ONE full generation – has forgotten even this much. Kids today do not know that their great-grandparents could safely drink groundwater, the air didn’t have chemtrails in it, the food wasn’t poisoned with petroleum pesticides, and you didn’t have to be afraid of everything and everybody. My, how amazingly quickly things have changed.

The second level of explanation is that there are human hybrids on this planet, connected through psychic bonds to interdimensional beings who want control here. Basically, they take over planets. That’s what they do. They love our FEAR. They eat our FEAR. It sustains them like food sustains us, but they don’t need our food. So they sow the seeds of FEAR and we comply. We generate all the fear they want us to. This has escalated since the 1980s. We are so easily frightened! The humans in this hybrid bonding are promised wealth (which they have), power (which they have), and control of the planet (which they are in the process of obtaining through deliberate globalization, and now the deliberate controlled-demolition of the globalized economy and financial system – in only 20 years!).

If that’s too sci-fi for your taste, the more palatable answer for most folks is that there’s just a bunch of stupid, greedy bastards in charge of everything. They’re called the Rockefellers and Rothschilds and 11 other families who control banking, money, and industry. Oh yes, and the Vatican . All these rich folks are so rich that they have their own organic gardens and air scrubbers. They live in closed containers -- their houses, their limousines, offices, underground facilities. They don’t have to have contact with the planet, so they can rape it and poison it to their heart’s content. They want power and control, and they have it.

And we can do nothing about it – the mantra of all who oppose planetary destruction.

And we also have the Vatican , which – even though everyone moans about the planet becoming overpopulated and we can’t feed everybody – has never once instructed its followers to curb their sexual appetites and use birth control. Why the Catholic Church still wants breeders producing more and more bodies for the Catholic Church I don’t know. I don’t notice that the Church puts much effort into feeding them. It’s clearly a policy that works against the health of this planet and everyone on it. Therefore, they must be part of that group that is trying to destroy this planet.

As much as people denigrate the Chinese “one-child-per-family” policy, I say thank god that the Chinese had the foresight to try to limit their population. At least they were dealing in a real way with the real question: How do you feed all your people? They took steps which a lot of people disagree with, but the population was at least contained. This tells me that the Chinese are not stupid, or at least, weren’t stupid, back when they instituted those policies. I’m not so sure now, though. The Chinese jumped on the globalization bandwagon –which means the global poisoning bandwagon. But, then again, if modern Chinese leaders wish to help in the destruction of the planet, they are doing so.

So they are forcing a global collapse, they have created a global poisoning, they have militarized the planet, and they do not give a damn about any native populations on this planet – meaning human, animal, plant, insect, amphibian, bird, or even whole ecosystems. They say they own us.

Well, I’ve got news for them, these interdimensional scumbags, with their human scumbag counterparts
– Get off my planet. You have no rights here. I do not give you any rights, powers, or permissions.

This is my manifesto as a Sovereign Being. I encourage everyone to join me in this new mantra:

I claim the right to my own health.
I claim the right to my own mind and my own thoughts.
I claim the right to my own spirit in alignment with the eternal Creator.
I claim the right to real food, clean water, and clean air.
I claim the right to products that do not poison this planet.
I claim the right to a peaceful life.
I claim the right to a loving relationship with this planet.
I claim the right to take care of myself if I get sick.
I claim the right to teach my children the truth.
I claim the right to not harm anyone or anything.

To the Scumbags:
I claim the right to take from you your deadly machines and destroy them.
I claim the right to oppose you by withholding money.
I claim the right to oppose you by not buying the things you make.
I claim the right to oppose you by not buying the foods you create.
I claim the right to oppose you in everything you do that harms the life on this planet.

I will not serve in your war upon this planet, or contribute to my own destruction.
BE GONE!

Francesca Caigatti

Peter Lemkin
07-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Everyone who has any awareness at all is very aware that there is a battle going on for this planet. There are essentially two groups, one that is peaceful and loves this planet and has no money (the majority of the people on this planet). The other group is killing all life on this planet, has all the money, weapons, and power.

That is the basic problem, indeed.....and has been for a few thousand years...but it is now multiplied by the technology and our overpopulation - as well as they new coercive means of spying, propaganda and control. There really is only one solution.....we must take back our Planet from 'the few' who would be its rulers and our enslaver/destroyers.

Ed Jewett
07-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Jack, what can you tell us about Francesca Caigatti? I re-posted the piece and some folks thought the message was diluted by mention of the following:

"They have back-engineered pulsed-beam weapons from alien craft that can disable all existing electronics. They have laser weapons that can kill you by frying your internal organs.
* They have gene-engineered super-soldiers while we argue about whether stem-cell therapies should be “allowed” for curing diseases.
* They have turned the very atmosphere of this planet into a cog in their killing machine while we argue about whether it’s “possible” to stop air pollution.
* They have turned the weather of this planet into a weapon. They have created HAARP which can cause earthquakes and hurricanes, and has been used for that purpose.
* They have created viruses for the purpose of releasing epidemics among the population so that millions of people will die, and other biological weapons to cause sickness and death.
* They have created “terminator seeds” -- they have stolen even Nature’s own ability to reproduce plants and foods. Ten thousand Indian farmers have committed suicide because they were forced to use gene-modified seeds, which failed, and there is no money to buy new seeds!"

and they wanted links.

I know where some of them are, but I can't find any real data on Francesca.

Magda Hassan
07-31-2009, 11:52 PM
According to Francesca she is an uncredentialed human being. Which is a good sign in many ways. :rock: So there is not a lot of data on the net about her. She is quoted in a lot of alternative health sites so she may, or may not, be involved in that field.

Francesca has no credentials of any kind other than being an educated, intelligent, living being on this Earth.
* They have created “terminator seeds” -- they have stolen even Nature’s own ability to reproduce plants and foods. Ten thousand Indian farmers have committed suicide because they were forced to use gene-modified seeds, which failed, and there is no money to buy new seeds!"For articles about Terminator seeds and technology see articles by William Engdahl, Vandana Shiva for starters.
Terminator seeds and technology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_use_restriction_technology
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/TerminatorSeeds_Monsanto.html
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/campaigns/ge/threats/terminator-seeds
http://www.banterminator.org/

"They have back-engineered pulsed-beam weapons from alien craft that can disable all existing electronics. They have laser weapons that can kill you by frying your internal organs.Pulse beam weapons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_beam_weapon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_weapon
The E-Bomb: How America's New Directed Energy Weapons Will Change the Way Future Wars Will Be Fought / Doug Beason (2005) ISBN 0306814021
Microwave weapons cook your internal organs. That is old technology today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation_and_health

I'm not so sure that alien craft come from 'out there' so much as from right here on earth. There are some pretty weird flying machines around and more experimental ones that we know nothing about. It is proven that secrets can be kept from the general public. The development of the stealth aircraft is one example. Here is another:
http://www.xzone-radio.com/news/images/lenticular_reentry_vehicle.jpg

Others here will be able to say more about the Nazi technology and how it has been adapted. And they most definitely did back engineer what they got from them and even bought their Nazi scientists to continue this work.

There is a very long and inglorious history of non-consenting human medical experimentation (Dr Mengeles and other Nazis using eugenics, Dr Stanley Milgram's experiments in human obedience to authority, The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, MKULTRA) and related to this there is an other long and inglorious history of using chemical and biological weapons against other human beings (from throwing diseased animals over fortresses and keeping seige from Roman times to Unit 731 to Frank Olsen. There is no reason to think that they would not be using genetic engineering to create new ones to abuse. They are being developed to 'help',
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20040416225902data_trunc_sys.shtml
http://cleantechnica.com/2009/04/02/green-lithium-batteries-powered-by-genetically-engineered-virus/

why not to hurt?
http://www.boydgraves.com/flowchart/
http://www.boydgraves.com/timeline/
http://www.gulfwarvets.com/mycoplas.htm
http://www.immed.org/illness/gulfwar_illness_research.html

* They have turned the weather of this planet into a weapon. They have created HAARP which can cause earthquakes and hurricanes, and has been used for that purpose.Compare the US preparations for Katrina (and other hurricanes previously) and Cuba's preparations which are and always have been standard. The only conclusion is that Katrina was used as a deliberate weapon against the people of New Orleans especially the black and poor. The Corp of Engineers just needed 20 million to fix the levee. But they were never given that money. All the National guardsmen and women and their equpment were in Iraq. No organisation in helping people leave the city and certainly no help in coming back.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/02/navy-research-p/
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,886971,00.html
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/weacontrolbychossudovsky2000.shtml

* They have turned the very atmosphere of this planet into a cog in their killing machine while we argue about whether it’s “possible” to stop air pollution.Seems pretty self evident to me. Corporations have fought every step of the way against environmental regulation and being required to use less polluting alternatives. The zero emission electric car comes to mind immediately. Licenses to pollute. The absence or withdrawal of public transport in places especially the USA. Expansions of roads and motor ways and airports in many places. Of course it is 'possible' to stop this in a very short time but it challenges the perceived rights and privileges of the wealthy and powerful and those who identify with them. Until capitalism is gone and its social relations changed we will have pollution, war, inequality and a whole host of other miseries. And while 90% of the population are ready to make that change as they have everything to gain the other 10% with something to lose will fight to the death. Ours.

Not sure what is meant by "gene-engineered super-soldiers" but certainly children are now trained from early ages to be de-sensitised to military involvement and invasive and violent solutions to real life issues. This is mostly by video games and tv. Enlisted men themselves get more vastly more intensive training in this area. The whole military and induction process is designed to turn a normal human being into a robotic killing machine. Violent films are shown to de-sensitise soldiers. Isolation from their intended victims in case of empathy. Patriarchal attitudes instilled and reinforced. Elitism and exclusivity defined. Certainly there are deep psychological profiles made of all military personnel. There may well be genetic profiles made these days. They even have a killing machine that can be powered by any biological matter including human corpses. That machine itself could almost be defined as a gene engineered super soldier. http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/07/military-researchers-develop-corpse-eating-robots/

Compare the public and private funding of the military budget to that of altruistic medical research funding (that is things that matter to most people, mental illness, cancer, degenerative diseases etc not a 'fat' pill, a cure for impotence, or a better breast lift) While the public is not yet permitted access to the full benefits of stem cell treatments to improve our quality of life all options are available for the military and black ops - assassination, kidnapping, theft, torture, psychological rape, physical rape and all the tools, training and means to do these things. No tool is denied them to meet their ends of death. But the government can't afford public health care policy in the US? No, that is an individual's responsibility. But every one has to pay to protect the property of the few. The unwritten rules.

Ed Jewett
08-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks, Magda.

Here is what I came up with, more for newbies than your assortment, which will be pasted onto my stuff.

For HAARP , simply Google the phrase.

For “terminator seeds”, simply Google the phrase.

For “Ten thousand Indian farmers have committed suicide”, simply Google the phrase.

In the category of pulsed-beam weapons, I found the following:

Several modern experimental particle beam weapons were tested at scientific laboratories such as the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico by both the United States and the USSR from the 1950s to the 1980s[citation needed].

The U.S. Defense Strategic Defense Initiative Organization put into development the technology of a neutral particle beam for strategic defense applications. In mid 1989, it was to be part of the Beam Experiments Aboard a Rocket (BEAR) in New Mexico. [14]

Sandia National Laboratories part of Lockheed Martin Co., in Sandia New Mexico. Dec. 15, 2008 Ground Breaking on a $40 Million Ion Beam Facility at Kirtland AFB. It will house six Accelerators; and is scheduled for occupancy in 2010. [15]

^ G. J. Nunz, "BEAR (Beam Experiments Aboard a Rocket) Project. Volume 1: Project Summary". Storming Media LLC., 2001.
^ http://www.sandia.gov/news/resources/releases/2008/ibl.html Ground to be broken for new Ion Beam Laboratory at Sandia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_beam_weapon

Directed Energy Weapons
http://www.milnet.com/lasers.htm

Weaponization Of Space
From the original paper in the U.S. Air Force War College Occasional Papers catalog online at: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cst/occppr06.htm

http://www.milnet.com/pentagon/laser/occppr06.htm

Introducing the Particle-Beam Weapon
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchro...ug/roberds.html (http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1984/jul-aug/roberds.html)

In the category of laser weapons I found that there are ample resources on the web describing the development of these weapons.

See also:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/tag/darpawatch/
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/tag/lasers-and-ray-guns/

In the category of super-soldiers, I found vague references to the development of super-soldiers by prior totalitarian regimes (Russia and Nazi Germany) and reference to East German Olympian efforts, but no quickly-found, concrete or credible sources.

But I did find this, which describes the early stages of interest and development:

July 16, 2008
$3 billion super soldier program: 10 times muscle endurance, 7 foot vertical leap, wall crawling, personal flight and more

DARPA today has a long-term, $3 billion program to help make such a "Metabolically Dominant Soldier." In other words, the military is studying how to use technology and biology to meld man and machine and transcend the limits of the human body. Described the project director, "My measure of success is that the International Olympic Committee bans everything we do" (http://www.darpa.mil/darpatech2002/presentations/dso_pdf/speeches/GOLDBLAT.pdf) The $3 billion program is definitely trying to achieve transhuman performance goals.

The wearable gear would enable running at 100 meter olympic sprinter speed for hours and the 7 foot vertical leap, the wall crawling, personal flight, invisibility, greatly enhanced strength, better body armor and carrying bigger and more powerful weapons.

UPDATE: Advanced gene therapy could provide cheetah or gorilla quality muscles in people for 45 mile per hour speed or five to ten times strength (http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/08/gene-therapy-for-ultimate-human-running.html)

There are suitable engines for powering the exoskeleton described in this article (http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/07/small-and-power-electric-engines-double.html)

Coverage of the billion and soon to be multi-billion dollar transgenic medical, agriculture, industrial industry. (http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/09/transgenic-genetic-engineering.html) [Mixing genes between animals to make cheaper drugs or for more productive agriculture]
END UPDATE

The drugs and genetic enhancements and some technology which gets applied would allow for regeneration, faster healing, muscle strength enhancement up to current olympic levels, endurance of an Alaskan sled dog, cognitive enhancement, operate without sleep for many days without performance degradation, the metabolic energy of twenty year old for a forty or fifty year old and immunity to pain.

The Metabolically Dominant Soldier program is managed by Joe Bielitzki. He is talking about fixing your cells so that you could live off your fat. Bielitzki acknowledges the potential for spin-off technologies. "Forty billion dollars a year goes into the weight loss industry in this country," he muses. "This will change it."

Regeneration, better healing, better immune systems would all revolutionize healthcare costs and healthcare effectiveness. So trillions in economic benefit as a side effect of supersoldier success. DARPA is also trying to enhance cognition, training and giving the energy levels of youth to the elderly. Those could provide multi-billion or even trillion dollar per year boosts to the US and world economy.

Projects in pipeline range from drugs that will boost muscles and energy by a factor of 10, akin to steroids…on steroids (the project is jokingly termed the "Energizer Bunny in Fatigues") to wearable, cooling gloves that regulate body temperature and prevent soldiers from getting overheated (and thus tired) even on the hottest desert day. [Keeping the body cool increases endurance]

This program is going well beyond some current relatively safe and conservative forms of performance enhancement. [Safer SARM/steroids, endurance enhancing drink] (http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/07/safe-human-enhancement-of-strength.html)

A major focus is on helping the soldier's body to better deal with trauma and damage. One such is the "pain vaccines" coming out of a program at Rinat Neuroscience [Pfizer acquired Rinat Neuroscience in 2006 (http://www.lifescience-online.com/Pfizer_to_Expand_Neuroscience_Research_With_Acquis ,473.html?portalPage=Lifescience+Today.News)]. Researchers are hopeful these "will block the sense of pain for almost a month," describes DARPA's Michael Goldblatt.

The substance does is block intense pain in less than 10 seconds. (http://www.garreau.com/main.cfm?action=chapters&id=53) Its effects last for 30 days. It doesn't stifle your reactions. If you touch a hot stove, you still have the initial shock; your hand will still automatically jerk away. But after that, the torment is gone. The product works on the inflammatory response that is responsible for the majority of subacute pain. If you get shot, you feel the bullet, but after that, the inflammation and swelling that trigger agony are substantially reduced. The company has already hit its first milestones in animal testing and is preparing reports for scientific conferences.

Army Soldier enhancement systems (http://www.brookings.edu/articles/2008/0502_iron_man_singer.aspx)

The plan is for new body armor that, instead of Kevlar, is filled with nano-materials that are connected to a computer. [Computer controlled liquid armor] It would normally be as flexible as regular uniform made of fabric. But, like how a crash-bag works inside a car, it would activate whenever the system detects a bullet strike and turn as hard as steel in an instant.

Gloves could turn into real-life brass knuckles.

The fabric could even be woven in with "nanomuscle fibers" that simulate real muscles, giving soldiers more an estimated "25 to 35 percent better lifting capability." So myostatin strength boost to get to olympic athlete strength levels and then 25-35% boost from a soft suit. Use better exoskeletons for more strength enhancement.

From deflecting bullets to powers of invisibility, as military analyst Max Boot writes, such a suit truly "would give ordinary mortals many of the attributes of comic book superheroes.

Our wimpy little Achilles tendons allow the average human to run somewhere between 6 to 8 miles an hour and, unless your name is LeBron James, leap only a few feet in the air. New "bionic boots" and "spring walkers" in development are hoped to solve this. These attach outside the leg and mechanically mimic the enlarged Achilles tendon of a kangaroo, one day perhaps giving the wearer the ability to run as fast as 25 miles per hour and leap 7 feet.

The "Z-Man project." Creating gecko inspired gloves and boots for wall crawling. (http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19025526.500-geckolike-robot-scampers-up-the-wall.html)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH5lgvcm4JI/AAAAAAAAA6c/1YnZi1xXRzc/s400/zmangecko.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH5lgvcm4JI/AAAAAAAAA6c/1YnZi1xXRzc/s1600-h/zmangecko.jpg)
Robotic gecko demonstrator

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH5kzTdmDBI/AAAAAAAAA6U/HYwyOmzWHyI/s400/PAV.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH5kzTdmDBI/AAAAAAAAA6U/HYwyOmzWHyI/s1600-h/PAV.jpg)
Exoskeleton flying vehicle (http://www.trekaero.com/Trek_VTOL_Springtail_Vehicles.htm) with a maximum speed of maximum Speed 113 mph, range of 184 miles and endurance of endurance 2.2+ hours.

The Mesoscopic Integrated Conformal Electronics (MICE) (http://www.garreau.com/main.cfm?action=chapters&id=53) program has already succeeded in printing electronic circuits on the frames of eyeglasses and helmets, weaving them into clothes, even putting them on insects. These include electronics, antennas, fuel cells, batteries and solar cells.

The Biological Input/Output Systems program is designed to enable plants, microbes and small animals to serve as "remote sentinels for reporting the presence of chemical or biological" particles. They'd do this by changing color, lighting up fluorescently, dropping their leaves or changing the color of their flowers.

The Brain-Machine Interface program is investigating how you would put wireless modems into people's skulls.

And that's just the Defense Sciences Office, the department of DARPA most directly involved with human enhancement. Meanwhile, on the floor where the Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO) resides, its director, Ron Brachman, former research vice president at AT&T Labs and previously at Bell Labs, and president of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence, wants to complete DARPA's vision from the sixties. When the original IPTO was created in 1962, its director, J.C.R. Licklider, focused the office on his novel conception of computers and humans working in symbiosis. That idea resulted in the Internet. Now the new IPTO "wants to realize this vision by giving computing systems unprecedented abilities to reason, to learn, to explain, to accept advice, and to reflect, in order to finally create systems able to cope robustly with unforeseen circumstances," according to Brachman. The object of the game is to produce machines—and the italics are his—"that truly know what they're doing.

A project is regarded as "DARPA-esque" only if few others would tackle it, but it would be earth-jolting if it did work. (http://www.garreau.com/main.cfm?action=chapters&id=53) DARPA's attitude (http://www.darpa.mil/body/off_programs.html) is if an idea looks like a sure thing, let somebody else fund it. The "special focus area" is for really extreme projects. (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRC_enUS209US241&q=%22special+focus+area%22+darpa)

FURTHER READING
Darpa supports the Raytheon Sarcos XOS exoskeleton (http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/technology/rtn08_exoskeleton/)

Of the three teams that took part in a seven year $75 million project (Sarcos, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and the University of California at Berkeley), the XOS emerged in 2005 as the suit closest to the agency's initial vision. It is the only full exoskeleton the military has moved into the next development stage; Sarcos is now working under a two-year, $10-million Army grant. (http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-04/building-real-iron-man?page=3)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH7FI5SEXWI/AAAAAAAAA6k/BUr4Xbtsolw/s400/XOS.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VyTCyizqrHs/SH7FI5SEXWI/AAAAAAAAA6k/BUr4Xbtsolw/s1600-h/XOS.jpg)
During XOS demos the suit is tethered to a hydraulic pump that draws electricity from an external power supply. The suit can operate from batteries, but only for 40 minutes at a time.

The country's other two top exoskeleton designers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Hugh Herr and Homayoon Kazerooni of the University of California at Berkeley, began with the power problem.

Herr is trying to build a leg-powering machine that uses as little energy as possible—the first iteration draws a mere two watts, comparable to a portable radio—but can support 80 percent of an 80-pound load on a user's back. Herr thinks that within the near future, he can improve the mechanics so that the machine actually saves the wearer effort.

Kazerooni has made the Human Load Carrier (HULC) which is a lower-body exoskeleton that can operate for more than 20 hours without recharging. He says it allows the user to carry 100 pounds on his back and burn 15 percent less oxygen than if he was supporting the added weight alone. A three-year, $2-million grant from the National Institute of Standards and Technology is being used to modify as a wheelchair replacement.The army is now performing live fire tests of new body armor (http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/06/army_bodyarmor_061808w/)

Currently : the Army issued the Improved Outer Tactical Vest, a redesigned version of Interceptor body armor, starting in late 2006. The soft body armor protects against 9mm ammunition and fragmentation. IOTV is also equipped with front, rear and side armor plates known as Enhanced Small Arms Protective Inserts. When worn together, the IOTV will stop 7.62mm armor-piercing rounds.

Several vendors have demonstrated they can produce body armor that can outperform the protection offered by IOTV with ESAPI.

The Land Warrior system was sent in to battle in spring 2007 with the 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 4th (Stryker) Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. (http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/03/04/7752-peo-soldier-modernization-at-good-value/) At that time the deployed system weighed 10 pounds (down from 17 pounds). The weight has been dropped to seven pounds, and they expect to reduce it even further.

Program Executive Office (PEO) Soldier (http://peosoldier.army.mil/about.asp) was created by the Army with one primary purpose: to develop the best equipment and field it as quickly as possible so that our Soldiers remain second to none in missions that span the full spectrum of military operations. PEO soldier currently has 400 programs.

The Soldier Enhancement Program (SEP) is to identify and evaluate commercially available individual weapons, munitions, optics, combat clothing, individual equipment, water supply, shelters, communication and navigational aids which can be adopted and provided to Soldiers in three years or less.

Source:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/07/3-billion...program-10.html (http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/07/3-billion-super-soldier-program-10.html)

Comments not included here.

as well as this:

Genetic Vetting and MRI Finals for Future Soldiers?
Harnessing science to create the ultimate warrior

NewScientist

BATALLIONS of super-soldiers could be selected for specific duties on the basis of their genetic make-up and then constantly monitored for signs of weakness. So says a report by the US National Academies of Science (NAS)...

...Selection by genotype could be fraught with difficulty - applicants rejected for certain jobs might try to sue on the grounds of genetic discrimination, say. Anders Sandberg, a neuroscientist at the University of Oxford's Future of Humanity Institute, says the military also needs to choose the traits it wants to optimise with care. "The battlefield is changing quite a lot right now. Wars are becoming more like computer games, which means that in the future having the genes that make you a good physical fighter might not be so important as having excellent hand-eye coordination."...

...Perhaps more sinister is the possibility of neuroscientists creating cognitively manipulated warriors, whose emotions have been blunted, for example...

...Zak emphasises that the panel was not asked how to turn soldiers into better "killing machines", although "the whole purpose of maximising and sustaining battlefield capacity is to gain superiority over opponents", admits Floyd Bloom of the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, who chaired the panel...

...Another possibility might be to use brain imaging to work out which recruits have understood new training concepts. In a recent study, fMRI was used to compare the brain activity of physics students and other students when they watched film clips of two different-sized balls falling at either the same or different rates...

There are also recommendations, looks like this is an area of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_...tic_stimulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation)

Source:
http://gladerebooted.boardzero.com/people-...iers-t3261.html (http://gladerebooted.boardzero.com/people-being-wrong-on-the-internet-f7/genetic-vetting-and-mri-finals-for-future-soldiers-t3261.html)

and this:

In the Journal Nature: Programming cells by multiplex genome engineering and accelerated evolution (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature08187.html)

Researchers created over 4.3 billion combinatorial genomic variants (of E Coli) per day. They isolated variants with more than fivefold increase in lycopene production within 3 days, a significant improvement over existing metabolic engineering techniques.

Multiplex automated genome engineering (MAGE) is used for large-scale programming and evolution of cells. MAGE simultaneously targets many locations on the chromosome for modification in a single cell or across a population of cells, thus producing combinatorial genomic diversity. Because the process is cyclical and scalable, they constructed prototype devices that automate the MAGE technology to facilitate rapid and continuous generation of a diverse set of genetic changes (mismatches, insertions, deletions). We applied MAGE to optimize the 1-deoxy-d-xylulose-5-phosphate (DXP) biosynthesis pathway in Escherichia coli to overproduce the industrially important isoprenoid lycopeneResearchers (Harvard Medical School, MIT and Georgia Institute of Techonology) rapidly turn bacteria into biotech factories (http://web.med.harvard.edu/sites/RELEASES/html/072609church.html)

The E. coli bacterium contains approximately 4,500 genes. The team focused on 24 of these—honing a pathway with tremendous potential—to increase production of the antioxidant, optimizing the sequences simultaneously. They took the 24 DNA sequences, divided them up into manageable 90-letter segments, and modified each, generating a suite of genetic variants. Next, armed with specific sequences, the team enlisted a company to manufacture thousands of unique constructs. The team was then able to insert these new genetic constructs back into the cells, allowing the natural cellular machinery to absorb this revised genetic material.

Some bacteria ended up with one construct, some ended up with multiple constructs. The resulting pool contained an assortment of cells, some better at producing lycopene than others. The team extracted the best producers from the pool and repeated the process over and over to further hone the manufacturing machinery. To make things easier, the researchers automated all of these steps.

"We accelerated evolution, generating as many as 15 billion genetic variants in three days and increasing the yield of lycopene by 500 percent," Harris says. "Can you imagine how long it would take to generate 15 billion genetic variants with traditional cloning techniques? It would take years."Wired magazine has a good diagram and article on the work. (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/cellfactories/)

The technique could also be used to design models of diseases — in tissue cultures, or animals — that have large-scale genomic changes.

Church said that MAGE might end up being more useful than building entire genomes from scratch. That approach is flashy and powerful, but unnecessarily complicated.11 pages of supplemental information. (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/extref/nature08187-s1.pdf)

Source:

July 29, 2009
Multiplex Automated Genome Engineering : Accelerating Evolution Millions of Times to Make Biotech Factories in Days

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/07/multiplex...ngineering.html (http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/07/multiplex-automated-genome-engineering.html)
http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/07/multiplex...ngineering.html (http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/07/multiplex-automated-genome-engineering.html)

Magda Hassan
08-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Wow, you've been busy Ed :eek:
Look at all those mil boys toys. Bet they cost a packet to research and make. Ah, but there's never enough money to stock the local library or pay pensioners a dignified benefit etc etc. What a waste of mental energy and money.

Jan Klimkowski
08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Special Forces soldiers have routinely been given "enhancement" substances for decades.

A source I completely trust has shown me interviews she conducted with Special Forces soldiers who were given aggression-inducing drugs to take once they'd arrived at their mission objective as a deep black part of the deep black Phoenix Program during the Vietnam War. The movie Jacob's Ladder is a fictional exploration of that whole area of experimentation.

Artificial "augmentation" of soldiers has long been a wet dream of militaries around the world. Whether it be the creation of an emotion-free killing machine through ritual and body chemistry, as explored in Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and, tangentially, A Clockwork Orange, or giving pilots speed on long-distance flights.

Key remote viewing researchers such as Ingo Swann talk of training specially selected Special Forces operatives, who had an enormous aptitude for remote viewing, and then never came back for further training.

Naval shrink Lt Narut told British journalists about his work in creating cadres of assassins from psychopaths in prisons. Before Narut himself disappeared.

Genetic manipulation? Hard evidence is inevitably elusive. But given Their secret lust for eugenics and breeding, I wouldn't be at all surprized if the spirit of Lebensborn is alive and kicking.

Magda Hassan
08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Wasn't there that breeding programme in the US with the Air Force men. Follow up studies of their off spring showed they were no better or worse physically than other children.

Ed Jewett
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Jan: I'd like to hear more about the "Naval shrink Lt Narut told British journalists about his work in creating cadres of assassins from psychopaths in prisons. Before Narut himself disappeared.". I did some preliminary googling and the first two "finds" were long online books that immediately went on to my "to be read" file.

Magda: I'd like to know more about "that breeding programme in the US with the Air Force men". And, as for the rest, I'm with you: see the Ike quote in my signature line.

############

Here's more:

America's Robot Army
http://www.newstatesman.com/200606120018
or
http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/for...mp;&st=300# (http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=57&&st=300#)

#######

Holes in Heaven, a 51-minute documentary on HAARP

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5584510125747680812

and the related web site:
http://www.holesinheaven.com/

########

Google up the Active Denial System [start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System ] and investigate whether this is being developed as an “airborne” weapon as well. I've seen a recent blurb at Wired/Defense that says this hasn't panned out, but maybe that is disinformation. At any rate, we're spending (and gave spent) gobs of money in the military-industrial world for a lot of weapons that haven't panned out. And the ones that pan out are usually held inside a secret box of black budgets, black bases, and behind the “state secrets” wall.

Here's one post from such a Google:
http://at5thestate.blogspot.com/2007/01/ac...ial-system.html (http://at5thestate.blogspot.com/2007/01/active-denial-system.html)

##########

Neurobiology: A case study of the imminent militarization of biology

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/h...helis_Dando.pdf

Some excerpts and more here:
http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/for...mp;&st=240# (http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=57&&st=240#)

See also Biotechnology, Weapons and Humanity
http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/h...wh?OpenDocument (http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/bwh?OpenDocument)

and there's a book out entitled "[I]Six-Legged Soldiers: Using Insects as Weapons of War"
http://www.amazon.com/Six-Legged-Soldiers-...s/dp/0195333055 (http://www.amazon.com/Six-Legged-Soldiers-Using-Insects-Weapons/dp/0195333055)

########

DARPA’s iXo Artificial Intelligence Control Grid: ‘The Official Version’(911kbs) -
A video that was constructed almost entirely using government / military quotes, animations, videos, images and photos.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2301756762339435723

###########

“Bombing the Mind: The Pentagon's Program for Psychopharmalogical Warfare”,
Edward Hammond, July 2, 2002, Counterpunch
http://www.counterpunch.org/hammond0702.html

##########

“The Mind Has No Firewall”,
Timothy L. Thomas, Parameters, Spring 1998, pp. 84-92.
http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/Paramet...ring/thomas.htm

Some excerpts here:
http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/for...mp;&st=170# (http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=57&&st=170#)

##########

US Electromagnetic Weapons and Human Rights
By Peter Phillips, Lew Brown and Bridget Thornton
December 2006
http://www.projectcensored.org/newsflash/E...aticWeapons.pdf.

Some excerpts here:

http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/for...mp;&st=170# (http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=57&&st=170#)

##########

the book
Emerging Cognitive Neuroscience and Related Technologies (http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12177) (2008)
National Research Council (NRC (http://www.nationalacademies.org/nrc/))

The paperback is currently selling for $44.00; here's an old article from Wired about it: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/08/uncle-sam-wants/

########

The Militarization of Neuroscience
April 27, 2007
Hugh Gusterson / Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

The Pentagon is quietly researching new “NeuroWeapons” — mind-machine interfaces, “living robots" controlled via brain implants, soldiers with "cognitive feedback helmets," “brain fingerprinting,” “pulse weapons” that play havoc with enemy soldiers' thought processes, drugs that would enable soldiers to go without sleep for days, to suppress fear, or to repress psychological inhibitions against killing. We need an international debate on the ethics of such weapons research.

http://www.thebulletin.org/web-edition/col...on-neuroscience (http://www.thebulletin.org/web-edition/columnists/hugh-gusterson/the-militarization-neuroscience)

Excerpted here:

##########

Excerpts from
Beyond the Hall of Mirrors:
Reflections on War, Terror and Human Interaction
by Dennis Rivers, MA
July 2005 Issue of
the Journal of Cooperative Communication Skills

The URL of this document is
http://www.newconversations.net/library/mirrors.htm

at http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/for...mp;&st=290# (http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=57&&st=290#)

“It seems to me that, in placing our faith in military hardware and the philosophy that “it is better to be feared than to be loved,” we are inviting the entire world to emulate us, and to embrace coercion as the only principle by which to guide their actions.”

###########

“Gary Zukav, physicist, former Special Forces officer and author of The Dancing Wu Li Masters, wrote an article titled “The New Mission of the Military: The Military and the Environment” where he states, “National security has become synonymous with protection of life on the Earth. The only strategy for the military that has a future is the strategy of protecting all life on our planet. The ability of the military collective to clothe, feed, train, deploy, and command groups of people is unmatched. It is the only organization, potential or actual, that has the capacity to address environmental problems on the scale that they exist.”

In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets,
Richard Strozzi Heckler, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, CA 1992.

Jan Klimkowski
08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Jan: I'd like to hear more about the "Naval shrink Lt Narut told British journalists about his work in creating cadres of assassins from psychopaths in prisons. Before Narut himself disappeared.". I did some preliminary googling and the first two "finds" were long online books that immediately went on to my "to be read" file.

The late great Walter Bowart wrote the following about the Narut incident.

According to the Sunday Times story, naval psychologist
Lt. Comdr. Thomas Narut was assigned to the
U.S. Regional Medical Center at Naples, Italy. When he
first made public the navy's part in programming assassins,
he was attending a NATO conference in Oslo on "Dimensions
of Stress and Anxiety." In attendance at that conference
were 120 psychologists of all descriptions and from
many countries. Many of them were involved in research
on how to improve man's ability to cope with stress, but
none of them felt compelled, as Narut did, to discuss their
work so fully or so frankly.
The stated objective of the conference was to exchange
information on how soldiers and people in difficult jobs
could cope with stress. Dr. Narut's talk was on "The Use
of a Symbolic Model and Verbal Intervention in Inducing
and Reducing Stress." His speech began with a plug for the
navy. He knew, he said, that many of the scientists present
had often encountered problems in their purely scientific
research because of the military's inclination to research
that would yield quick and useful results. He sympathized
with those who had trouble getting subjects, funds, or both,
out of the military for their purely scientific research. But
things were different in the navy he said.
In the navy, Narut bragged, there were plenty of captive
personnel who could be used as guinea pigs. In the navy
there was a computerized record of each man's background
and psychological profile, so that a quick selection of men
with suitable psychological inclinations for experiments
could be made. Navy psychologists not only had access to
computerized records, but also to psychological tests and
background data on a large number of people. In the navy,
Narut said, funds were plentiful, and there were no problems
with transporting subjects for study to nearly any
place in the world. Narut stated proudly that the U.S.
Navy provided scientists with the most advanced research
facilities in the world.
A Canadian psychologist at the conference later remarked,
"Narut's message was loud and clear—'Join the
navy and study the world.'"
In his brief discourse, Dr. Narut did no more than hint
at the work he had been doing in teaching "combat readi-
Operation Mind Control 163
ness units" to cope with the stress of killing. Later, however,
during private questioning with a small group of listeners
(reporter Peter Watson of the Sunday Times, a
former psychologist, among them), Narut unfolded the
amazing story of the navy's programming of assassins on
an assembly-line basis.
In his mid-thirties, Dr. Narut had just completed his
doctoral dissertation on the question of whether certain
films provoke anxiety, and whether forcing a man to do
irrelevant tasks while watching violent films would help
him cope with the anxiety they produced.
When pressed by Watson to explain the details of this
kind of conditioning, Narut said that he had worked with
"combat readiness units" which included men being programmed
for commando-type operations and for undercover
placement at U.S. embassies. These, Narut said, were
"hit men and assassins" (Narut's words) made ready to kill
in selected countries should the need arise. Dr. Alfred Zitani,
an American delegate to the conference, was very surprised
by Narut's disclosure. "Do you think Dr. Narut realizes
what he has just said?" Zitani asked. "That kind of
information must be classified."
The conditioning of Narut's assassins was accomplished
by audio-visual desensitization, a standard behavior modification
process. These men were "desensitized" to mayhem
by being shown films of people being killed or injured in a
number of different ways. At first the films would show
only mild forms of bloodshed. As the men became acclimated
to the scenes of carnage, they would see progressively
more violent scenes. The assassin candidates, Narut
explained, would eventually be able to dissociate any feelings
they might have from even the goriest scenes they
viewed.
Narut said that of course U.S. naval psychologists would
have first selected the candidates for training by their psychological
makeup. Those selected for assassination assignments
were often from submarine crews and paratroops.
Others were convicted murderers from military prisons
who had already shown a proclivity for violence.
Still others were men who had been given awards for
valor. World War II Medal of Honor winner Audie Murphy
was a subject of extensive research.
The best killers, according to Narut, were men whom psychologists would classify as "passive-aggressive" personalities.
These were people with strong drives that were
usually kept under tight control. Such types were usually
calm, but from time to time would exhibit outbursts of temper
during which they could literally kill without remorse.
Narut said that through psychological testing, he and his
colleagues were looking for more such men, for further
conditioning.
Among the tests used by the navy to determine violent
natures was the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory,
which is used widely by educators and businessmen to
determine psychological qualities of students and employees.
The tests consist of hundreds of questions designed to
measure such personality traits as hostility, depression, and
psychopathy.
According to Narut, the men selected by the tests, or by
evidence of past violence, were taken for programming to
the navy's neuropsychiatric laboratory in San Diego, California,
or to the Naples medical center which employed
Dr. Narut.
Audio-visual desensitization was the major technique
used in programming the assassins. Psychological indoctrination
completed the programming by instilling the desired
prejudicial attitudes.
The audio-visual desensitization began with the subject
strapped into a chair with his head clamped so that he
could not look away from the screen. A special mechanism
prevented the subject's eyelids from closing.
The candidate was then shown a film of an African
youth being crudely circumcised by fellow members of his
tribe. The youth was circumcised with a blunt knife, painfully
and without anesthetic. This well-known film is used
widely in psychological experiments to create stress. Afterwards
the candidate was asked about details of what he had
seen. He was asked, for example, to describe the color of
the belt on the doctor's trousers, or the motif on the handle
of the knife that cut off the foreskin.
The next film showed a man in a sawmill, where planks
were sliced from huge logs. In the operation of the saw the
man slipped and cut off his fingers.
As the films progressed in gruesomeness, the reactions of
the candidate were measured by sensing devices. Heartbeat,
breathing rate, and brain waves were recorded, very much
Operation Mind Control 165
as on a polygraph. If the physiological responses, which
might have been great in the beginning, slowed down and
resumed normal patterns as the more bloodthirsty scenes
were viewed, the candidates were judged to have completed
this stage of conditioning.
The last phase of conditioning, Narut said, was to indoctrinate
the candidates to think of their potential enemies as
inferior forms of life. By this stage, the candidates would
have already been selected for assignment to particular
countries. They would be shown films and given lectures
which portrayed the customs and cultural habits of the foreign
countries in a biased fashion. The people of those
countries would be portrayed as enemies of the United
States and were always spoken of in demeaning terms.
They were often presented as if they were "less than human."
Their customs were ridiculed, and local leaders were
presented as evil demagogues, even if they were legitimate
political figures.
According to Dr. Narut it took only a few weeks to indoctrinate
susceptible candidates by this process. Those
who were not susceptible to the conditioning were dropped
earlier in the program and returned to other assignments.
Narut admitted that he did not have the necessary "need to
know" as to where all the programmed men were sent, although
at one point in his conversation with Peter Watson,
Narut specified that programmed assassins have been installed
in the Athens embassy. He said that his busiest time
was when a large group of men went through such training
towards the end of 1973, at the time of the Yom Kippur
War.
After the Oslo conference interview, Watson returned to
London to file his story. Writing up the details, he found a
few points which needed clarification but he could not
reach Narut either at his home or in his laboratory in Naples.
Watson then asked the U.S. embassy in London to
comment on the information Narut had volunteered. The
embassy passed the buck to the U.S. Navy.
Within a few days the Pentagon issued a categorical denial
that the U.S. Navy had ever "engaged in psychological
training or other types of training of personnel as assassins.
"They also denied that any such training had ever taken
place either in San Diego or in Naples. They said they too
had been unable to contact Lieutenant Commander Narut, but they did confirm that he was on the staff of the U.S.
Regional Medical Center in Naples as a psychologist. But
Dr. Zitani later offered to testify about what Narut had told
him to "appropriate authorities." Watson was also approached
later by a psychologist in Los Angeles who said
he had seen the Pentagon denials so thought Watson would
like to know that he had lent the San Diego psychologists a
copy of his film on circumcision which was used in the
desensitization conditioning.
A few days later Narut was located. He flew to London
to discuss the matter ostensibly with Watson's paper, the
Sunday Times, but instead he held a press conference saying
only that he had been talking in "theoretical and not
practical terms." He then flew back to the Naples base.
After his return to Naples, U.S. naval headquarters in
London offered the official explanation for Narut's statement:
Narut had "personal problems." A few days later
Watson was able to contact Narut at the U.S. hospital in
Naples, but he refused to elaborate on his disclosure.
During the Oslo conference interview, Narut had said
several times that what he was saying about the assassins
was "coming out anyway." He was referring to the congressional
disclosures about CIA assassination plots. But the
fact that the navy had been operating along lines similar to
the CIA was not known to the public nor has it subsequently
been admitted. The details of the story that Lieutenant
Commander Narut related have been strongly and
categorically denied in all subsequent queries of the navy.
It came as no surprise to many that the navy had been
interested in psychological research to help its men cope
with "stress." Several years before, one of the organizers of
the Oslo conference, Dr. Irwin Sarason, had been approached
by the navy to work on projects similar to Narut's.
At the time, the navy had said nothing to him about
programming assassins; it said it wanted him to adapt his
work for applications to "spies."
In response to that request, Sarason devised a film which
showed how successful students asked questions in school.
The film was shown to a group of juvenile delinquents for a
period of time until they, too, learned how to pose the right
questions. As a result, over the next two years they did
much better in their studies and got in trouble less. The
control group who had not seen the films did just as poorly
Operation Mind Control 167
in school as they'd always done and were just as delinquent.
Since his "symbolic modeling" study had been successful,
Sarason wanted to continue his research and applied to
the Office of Naval Research for more funding. A few
weeks after his application was received, Sarason was
called by a navy official who asked him if he would object
to having his work classified. Sarason wondered why, and
the navy official told him his research would be most valuable
to the navy's neuropsychiatric laboratory in California,
as spies were being trained there to resist interrogation.
The naval official said that if Sarason would allow his work
to be classified, he'd get all the funds he needed.
But Sarason was interested in the peaceful scientific nature
of his work, not its military applications, so he refused
to have the project classified. His goal was the exception
rather than the rule.
The federal government supports most scientific research
in the United States. Enough psychologists and other social
scientists haven't asked questions about what their research
is to be used for; their main objective has been to get the
grant, so they could support themselves and their scientific
curiosity. Since too many of them have been politically disinterested
or naive, they have been easy prey for the cryptocracy.
Lieutenant Commander Narut was therefore but
one in a long line of psychologists being employed for psychological
warfare and illegal clandestine operations.
Another such operation was the training of security officers
at the Washington-based International Police Academy
by psychologists and sociologists. The officers were
supposedly being taught interrogation techniques for Third
World countries; actually it was a highly sensitive clandestine
operation organized for the training of U.S. spies. Congress
closed the Academy on January 1, 1974, after its real
purpose was disclosed to the press.

Also there are several threads where Narut's revelations are discussed in context, eg:
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6740&highlight=narut#post6740
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=778&highlight=narut#post778
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5432&highlight=narut#post5432
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5678&highlight=narut#post5678

The first edition of Walter Bowart's Operation Mind Control can be found here:
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313&highlight=bowart

The revised and heavily updated second edition was a limited edition photocopy.

Magda Hassan
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Another such operation was the training of security officers at the Washington-based International Police Academy by psychologists and sociologists.

That was Dan Mitrione's training school wasn't it?

Ed Jewett
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks, Jan.. (I think) (gulp).

I'm not new to the subject, but this new stuff has all been duly noted and added to my pile to be read, which is rapidly approaching Alpine heights.

Here are the two I found, neither of which have been read yet by me:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12321776/Jim-Keith-Mind-Control-World-Control-
Jim Keith - Mind Control, World Control

and

http://www.phoenixsourcedistributors.com/Phoenix_Journal_077.pdf
(which appears indescribable at first and second glance)

If I do not re-appear relatively quickly, send in those big dogs with the casks of Drambuie 'round ther necks.

Jan Klimkowski
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Another such operation was the training of security officers at the Washington-based International Police Academy by psychologists and sociologists.

That was Dan Mitrione's training school wasn't it?

And Dan Mitrione leads directly - DIRECTLY - to Jim Jones and Jonestown.

From John Judge's seminal The Black Hole of Guyana:

Who Was Jim Jones?

In order to understand the strange events surrounding Jonestown, we must begin with a history of the people involved. The official story of a religious fanatic and his idealist followers doesn't make sense in light of the evidence of murders, armed killers and autopsy cover-ups. If it happened the way we were told, there should be no reason to try to hide the facts from the public, and full investigation into the deaths at Jonestown, and the murder of Leo Ryan would have been welcomed. What did happen is something else again.

Jim Jones grew up in Lynn, in southern Indiana. His father was an active member of the local Ku Klux Klan that infest that area.[77] His friends found him a little strange, and he was interested in preaching the Bible and religious rituals.[78] Perhaps more important was his boyhood friendship with Dan Mitrione, confirmed by local residents.[79] In the early 50s, Jones set out to be a religious minister, and was ordained at one point by a Christian denomination in Indianapolis.[80] It was during this period that he met and married his lifelong mate, Marceline.[81] He also had a small business selling monkeys, purchased from the research department at Indiana State University in Bloomington.[82]

A Bible-thumper and faith healer, Jones put on revivalist tent shows in the area, and worked close to Richmond, Indiana. Mitrione, his friend, worked as chief of police there, and kept him from being arrested or run out of town.[83] According to those close to him, he used wet chicken livers as evidence of "cancers" he was removing by "divine powers."[84] His landlady called him "a gangster who used a Bible instead of a gun."[85] His church followers included Charles Beikman, a Green Beret who was to stay with him to the end.[86] Beikman was later charged with the murders of several Temple members in Georgetown, following the massacre.[87]

Dan Mitrione, Jones' friend, moved on to the CIA-financed International Police Academy, where police were trained in counter-insurgency and torture techniques from around the world.[88] Jones, a poor, itinerant preacher, suddenly had money in 1961 for a trip to "minister" in Brazil, and he took his family with him.[89] By this time, he had "adopted" Beikman, and eight children, both Black and white.[90] His neighbors in Brazil distrusted him. He told them he worked with U.S. Navy Intelligence. His transportation and groceries were being provided by the U.S. Embassy as was the large house he lived in.[91] His son, Stephan, commented that he made regular trips to Belo Horizonte, site of the CIA headquarters in Brazil.[92] An American police advisor, working closely with the CIA at that point, Dan Mitrione was there as well.[93] Mitrione had risen in the ranks quickly, and was busy training foreign police in torture and assassination methods. He was later kidnapped by Tupermaro guerillas in Uruguay, interrogated and murdered.[94] Costa Gravas made a film about his death titled State of Siege.[95] Jones returned to the United States in 1963, with $10,000 in his pocket.[96] Recent articles indicate that Catholic clergy are complaining about CIA funding of other denominations for "ministry" in Brazil; perhaps Jones was an early example.[97]

With his new wealth, Jones was able to travel to California and establish the first People's Temple in Ukiah, California, in 1965. Guarded by dogs, electric fences and guard towers, he set up Happy Havens Rest Home.[98] Despite a lack of trained personnel, or proper licensing, Jones drew in many people at the camp. He had elderly, prisoners, people from psychiatric institutions, and 150 foster children, often transferred to care at Happy Havens by court orders.[99] He was contacted there by Christian missionaries from World Vision, an international evangelical order that had done espionage work for the CIA in Southeast Asia.[100] He met "influential" members of the community and was befriended by Walter Heady, the head of the local chapter of the John Birch Society.[101] He used the members of his "church" to organize local voting drives for Richard Nixon's election, and worked closely with the republican party.[102] He was even appointed chairman of the county grand jury.[103]

"The Messiah from Ukiah," as he was known then, met and recruited Timothy Stoen, a Stanford graduate and member of the city DA's office, and his wife Grace.[104] During this time, the Layton family, Terri Buford and George Phillip Blakey and other important members joined the Temple.[105] The camp "doctor," Larry Schacht, claims Jones got him off drugs and into medical school during this period.[106] These were not just street urchins. Buford's father was a Commander for the fleet at the Philadelphia Navy Base for years.[107] The Laytons were a well-heeled, aristocratic family. Dr. Layton donated at least a quarter-million dollars to Jones. His wife son and daughter were all members of the Temple.[108] George Blakey, who married Debbie Layton, was from a wealthy British family. He donated $60,000 to pay the lease on the 27,000-acre Guyana site in 1974.[109] Lisa Philips Layton had come to the U.S. from a rich Hamburg banking family in Germany.[110] Most of the top lieutenants around Jones were from wealthy, educated backgrounds, many with connections to the military or intelligence agencies. These were the people who would set up the bank accounts, complex legal actions, and financial records that put people under the Temple's control.[111]

Stoen was able to set up important contacts for Jones as Assistant DA in San Francisco.[112] Jones changed his image to that of a liberal.[113] He had spent time studying the preaching methods of Fr. Divine in Philadelphia, and attempted to use them in a manipulative way on the streets of San Francisco. Fr. Divine ran a religious and charitable operation among Philadelphia's poor Black community.[114] Jones was able to use his followers in an election once again, this time for Mayor Moscone. Moscone responded in 1976, putting Jones in charge of the city Housing Commission.[115] In addition, many of his key followers got jobs with the city Welfare Department and much of the recruitment to the Temple in San Francisco came from the ranks of these unemployed and dispossessed people.[116] Jones was introduced to many influential liberal and radical people there, and entertained or greeted people ranging from Roslyn Carter to Angela Davis.[117]

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/JohnJudge/Jonestown.html

See also here:
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223

http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220

Ed Jewett
08-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Military Aims for Instant Repair of Wartime Wounds

By Katie Drummond http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/wp-content/themes/wired/images/envelope.gif (katiedrumm@gmail.com)
August 3, 2009

The military wants soldiers who can withstand anything - even the worst and most debilitating wartime injuries. Now Darpa, the Pentagon’s far-out research team, is trying to make traumatic injuries more like minor scrapes, patched up to be good as new. Or better.

Darpa’s been working on superhuman soldiers for years. They’ve toyed with cellular mitochondria (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/04/army-looks-to-keep-troops-forever-young/) and pondered putting soldiers on the Atkins diet (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/03/supercharging_s/). In 2006, Darpa launched an ambitious Restorative Injury Repair (http://www.darpa.mil/DSO/thrusts/bio/restbio_tech/rir/index.htm) program, that aims to “fully repair” body parts damaged by traumatic injury.

Earlier this year, researchers funded by that program generated new human muscle (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/03/darpa-muscle-re/) that could replace damaged tissue. Now Darpa’s asking for a device that can use adult stem cells for a regenerative free-for-all, pumping out whatever needed to repair injured body parts, including nerves, bone and skin. Already, research (http://www.bioethics.gov/background/prentice_paper.html) has proven that adult stem cells can act the same way embryonic ones do - differentiating into the highly-specified cells that form complex body parts.

According to Darpa’s solicitation, 85 percent of recent wartime injuries involved damage to the extremities and facial regions. That often means multiple surgeries, rehab and permanent disability for vets. They’re hoping to eliminate the injuries, and their long-term consequences, with a system that can reproduce in vitro tissues with the same structural and mechanical properties of the real stuff. And maybe make better versions: Darpa wants implanted results that will “replace, restore or improve tissue/organ function.”

Phase II of the project will see animal testing of the most promising systems. And Darpa foresees eventual use by military and civilian populations. Sounds like fodder for Hollywood, but broken bones and third-degree burns might one day be treated with an easy drop-in at the body part bank.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/08/miitary-aims-for-instant-repair-of-wartime-wounds/

Ed Jewett
08-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Excerpts from
http://z7.invisionfree.com/E_Pluribus_Unum/index.php?showtopic=142 an old blog entry of mine from May 29 2007 which referenced two articles:

#1)
Bio-electromagnetic Weapons: The ultimate weapon
by Institute of Science in Society
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5797

A weapon system that operates at the speed of light, that can kill, torture, enslave and escape detection … Electromagnetic weapons have been tested on human beings since 1976. By widely dispersing the involuntary human test-subjects, and vehemently attacking their credibility, it has been possible for the United States to proceed with these human experiments unhindered by discussions or criticisms, let alone opposition.... In 1959, Saul B. Sells, a professor of social psychology at a minor US university submitted a proposal to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to build for them the most sophisticated electroencephalography machine that would have an integral computational capacity to analyze and, hopefully, make sense of the brain waves it recorded. In other words, the professor proposed to make a machine that could tell the CIA what a person was thinking, whether or not the person wished to disclose that information.

The CIA approved the project in 1960, adding some library research with five objectives. The fifth objective of the research was, “Techniques for Activating the Human Organism by Remote Electronic Means”. The entire assignment was thereafter known as MKULTRA subproject 119 …

snip

“Converting sound to microwaves In 1973, Joseph C. Sharp, an experimental psychologist at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research performed an experiment that was pivotal to the development of the torture equipment being shipped to Iraq today. He had James Lin set up equipment in his laboratory which converted the shape of sound waves into microwave radiation that enabled him to hear himself vocalize the names of the numbers from one to ten in his head, by-passing the mechanism of his own ears. This particular experiment was never published but is mentioned in Lin’s book, Microwave Auditory Effects and Applications, published in 1978 [5].

The experiment has been confirmed in US Patent 6 587 729, “Apparatus for Audibly Communicating Speech Using the Radio Frequency Hearing Effect” [6]. This patent is for an improved version of the apparatus used in the 1973 laboratory experiment, issued on July 1, 2003 and assigned to the Secretary of the Air Force. It provides scientific evidence that it is possible to hear threatening voices in one’s head without suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

Why has this patent been published openly at a time when the US Government is practicing a degree of secrecy that rivals Stalin’s Kremlin? I have no satisfactory answer, except to say that the apparatus in the patent has already been superseded by equipment that achieves the same effect by far more sophisticated means. It blocks the normal processes of memory and thought by remote electronic means, while at the same time supplying false, distorted and/or unpleasant memories and suggestions by means of a process called “synthetic telepathy”. The equipment that produces synthetic telepathy is sometimes referred to as “influence technology”....

and
#2) DARPA to Create Brain-Chipped Cyborg Moths
June 1st, 2007
Via: The Register UK:
http://cryptogon.com/?p=816

“The program is called Hybrid Insect Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, or HI-MEMS.”

From the comments:

“A friend of mine theorized that when we hear reports like this, about technologies they’re supposedly developing, the technologies actually already exist. The purpose of the public reporting is to make people think the thing isn’t operable yet.”

“I’m writing to point you to is a television show on Discovery called Future Weapons, which invites you to get your “firepower fix in the weapon zone.” Reality has now become a 24-hour, surround-sound, global psy-op. Neocons? More like Neo-Crowleyites, performing a world-wide ritual magik theatre-of-death mind-f***. You don’t need to sneak into Bohemian Grove to see the death cult in action.

DrFix Says:
June 1st, 2007 at 2:51 pm
“I got disgusted years ago with how weapons of destruction, and more importantly the destruction of people, were depicted in some sort of entertaining package served up with glitzy graphics and music. Death, a culture of death through ritualized entertainment, is indeed whats broadcast/programmed continuously.”

###

Another blog entry
http://z7.invisionfree.com/E_Pluribus_Unum/index.php?showtopic=236

had this:

Robo-Snipers, "Auto Kill Zones" to Protect Israeli Borders
By Noah Shachtman June 04, 2007
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/06/for_years_and_y/

See also this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMkV8E2re9U
South Korean Intelligent Surveillance and Guard Robot

###

“CONVERGING TECHNOLOGIES FOR IMPROVING HUMAN PERFORMANCE”
June 2002
424 pages

National Science Foundation
Department of Commerce
The National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Department of Commerce

read the Table of Contents here:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/E_Pluribus_Unum/index.php?showtopic=766

From “Welcome to the Machine:
Science, Surveillance and the Culture of Control”
by Derrick Jensen and George Draffan
Chelsea Green 2004

The book has a good description of Smart Dust, “a ‘self-contained, millimeter-scale sensing and communication platform for a massively distributed sensor network’, a computerboard equipped with a sensor, a microcontroller, and a radio.”

“I have before me a postcard inviting me to the “DARPA Bio Booth” at a big DARPA conference which is called “Harvesting Biology for Defense Technology”. The focus of the first day – and dust off your old books of feminist theory before you check out their terminology, because the feminists were right, those military wonks really do get off on this stuff – is “Enhancing Human Performance”. ( “Thrust areas include: Neurosciences; Metabolic Engineering; Nutrition; Genomics”) The focus of the second day is “Protecting Living Assets”, by which they mean ubersoldiers, not living landbases – (“Thrust areas include: Environmental Detection and Surveillance"; Biomedical Science Technologies; Biological Processing and Manufacturing). The third day they’ll study “Improving System Performance” (“Thrust areas include: Biomimetic Materials, Assembly, Manufacturing; Biomimetic Robots; Intelligent Machines; Biomimetic Signal Processing and Sensors”).

As the end of the third day, they will see everything that they have made and, behold, it will be very good. And on the fourth day they will rest.”

Before we describe in more detail some of their “thrust areas”, let’s take a look at some of their workshops. Monday morning they start off bright and early with “Metabolic Engineering and Dominance”, followed not by “Leather and Submission” but by “Persistence in Combat”, then “Continuous Assisted Performance”, “Brain Machine Interface”, “Augmented Cognition” (can we hope for a guest demonstration involving the Commander-in-Chief?), and so on. The most interesting workshop on Tuesday will be “Triangulation Identification for Genetic Evaluation of Risks (TIGER).”

Now I don’t know about you but, when I hear those in power talk about ‘Identification for Genetic Evaluation of Risks’, I immediately think of four things. The first is smallpox-laden blankets. The second is the Tuskegee Syphilis Study… The third is that the United States’ [development of new bioweapons labs] dedicated to the creation of new classes of toxins, including genetically engineered toxins. Presumably the mantra of those who work there will be ‘We are research and development people. We think about what’s possible, not what the government will do with it. That’s somebody else’s job.’ If they repeat this often enough, they may eventually believe it…. The fourth thing I think of is the line … from the document called Rebuilding America’s Defenses put out by the Project for A New American Century… “advanced forms of biological warfare that can ‘target’ specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool.”…

Other exciting workshops for the day include "Biosensor Technologies and Activity Detection Technologies". Day three starts with a rush: "Biologically Inspired Multifunctional Dynamic Robots". They move from there to "Controlled Biological Systems" (which I’m presuming is a description of their desired endpoint for the entire planet). Later in the day, they have "Spectroscopic Observation of Remote Environments", and they finish with "Exoskeletons".

Whom do these ubersoldiers and ubercops serve?

When was the last time you saw armored police officers fire tear gas at corporate CEO’s for deciding to allow cancer-causing chemicals water streams and blood streams of millions?

Do you believe that this society’s power structures have been designed in the best interests of you, your family, your community and your land base?

Who do these structures protect?

How do you want to live?”

from another blog entry at http://z7.invisionfree.com/E_Pluribus_Unum/index.php?showtopic=297

Magda Hassan
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Magda: I'd like to know more about "that breeding programme in the US with the Air Force men". And, as for the rest, I'm with you: see the Ike quote in my signature line.

Here you go Ed.

More on The Pioneer Fund (http://www.ferris.edu/ISAR/Institut/pioneer/homepage.htm)
A Breed Apart: A Long-Ago Effort to Better the Species Yields Ordinary Folks

Pioneer Fund Tried to Spread `Natural Endowments' of Top Air Force Fliers

'Sound and Desirable Stock'

By DOUGLAS A. BLACKMON
Staff Reporter, THE WALL STREET JOURNAL WARE, Mass. – Tomorrow, Ward and Darby Warburton, twin brothers born on Aug. 18, 1940, will celebrate their 59th birthdays with cake and a crowd of grandchildren gathered at the home of their 86-year-old mother near this picturesque New England mill town. The brothers' shared birthday marks something more than another milestone in the lives of two World War II-era babies. It also marks the start of their involvement in an odd experiment six decades ago of which the Warburton family was a mostly unwitting subject.
Long before cloned sheep, egg donors and sperm banks, a group of wealthy Northeastern conservatives embarked on an experiment with the help of the U.S. Army Air Corps to find a way to improve the human race. The group, formed in 1937, called itself the Pioneer Fund. As is spelled out in hundreds of pages of documents and letters by its founders and their associates, the Pioneer Fund, alarmed by the declining U.S. birth rate and rising immigration, was at the forefront of the eugenics movement. Like many other prominent leaders of the time, the fund's directors were particularly concerned that "superior" Americans were not reproducing enough to pass on their "natural endowments."
So they set out to spur procreation among a group they regarded as superior indeed -- military pilots and their crews. With the support of Franklin D. Roosevelt's secretary of war, Harry H. Woodring, the group offered $4,000, about $46,000 in today's dollars, for the education of additional children born during the year 1940 to any officer who already had at least three offspring.
The Air Corps – precursor to the U.S. Air Force – promoted the program and provided the fund's psychologists extensive records on its officers, including training, parentage, race and religion, according to various memos and letters written among Pioneer Fund leaders and records of the experiment. By the end of 1940, a dozen qualifying infants – seven boys and five girls, including two sets of twins – had been born. The Pioneer Fund had expected bigger numbers. Looming war clouds seemed to have trumped the fund's financial incentives. The Pioneer Fund quietly made arrangements for the children to receive their scholarships, and never contacted the families again.
The Pioneer Fund, which today remains a controversial funder of research into the roots of intelligence, says the 1940 effort was a legitimate experiment to gauge attitudes toward family size, and nothing more. The Air Force declines to comment.
But how did the kids turn out?
The Wall Street Journal was able to track down eight of the 12 born in 1940. One died as an infant. But the other seven grew up to be moderately successful citizens. Some didn't know the background behind the payments received long ago and were vaguely troubled to learn the details. Among the seven children who survived into adulthood, there are no ranking generals and no war heroes. No criminals, either.
"My dad told me they were trying to create more fighting men," jokes Ward Warburton. "Well, I did get into a lot of fights coming up. And I could always take care of myself pretty well."
Today, the Warburton brothers are air-conditioning repairmen, each with his own successful small business here in Ware, a town of 10,000 about 25 miles from Springfield, Mass.
"I doubt we're superior," says John F. Rawlings, an affable Seattle homebuilder, whose father became one of the first four-star generals in the Air Force and later the chairman of General Mills Inc. The younger Mr. Rawlings joined the Air Force but was too nearsighted to fly. He says he inherited the bad eyes from his mother.
The stories of the Pioneer Fund children and the largely routine lives they have led underscore the naivete of such a clumsy effort to sculpt the human race. But they also are reminders of sinister racial assumptions prevalent in mainstream America just a generation ago.
All officers in the Air Corps were white; African-Americans were barred from the Air Corps until 1941, and even then were shunted into all-black squadrons. Many early genetic researchers believed that race-mixing would damage the white race's "germ plasm" – a human component that early scientists believed carried a race's hereditary traits. Leaders in Nazi Germany fervently embraced such eugenic theories.
The pilot procreation plan was endorsed by an array of high-ranking military and political leaders, including Mr. Woodring, one of President Roosevelt's top aides. Moreover, many U.S. states had laws in that era authorizing the sterilization of mentally retarded people. Conventional wisdom held that whites almost certainly were born smarter than blacks.
"Hitler thought that, too," says Michael Skeldon, another of the Pioneer Fund children. Now a supervisor at a San Antonio air-conditioner factory, Mr. Skeldon was troubled to learn what was behind the mysterious payments his family received long ago. "I find real odd this Pioneer group trying to mold people."
As it turns out, creating a better race was more complicated than the Pioneer Fund and its allies thought back in 1938. John C. Flanagan, a young researcher who became one of the most famous behavioral psychologists in the U.S. in the ensuing 50 years, supervised the 1940 experiment. (He died in 1996.) Nonetheless, scientists today say the test was fundamentally flawed; subsequent scholarship has shown that highly successful parents don't necessarily give birth to highly successful children. And indeed, counter to the hopes of the Pioneer Fund's directors in 1940, the lives led by the children born that year bear out precisely that idea.
The project was launched in the spring of 1937. Frederick Osborn, secretary of the Pioneer Fund and a leading proponent of racial eugenics, met at least twice with Mr. Woodring; the secretary of war encouraged the project and hooked the fund up with top military leaders, including famed aviation commander Gen. H.H. "Hap" Arnold. "Secretary Woodring is really interested," Mr. Osborn wrote to other fund directors in May 1937. A few months later, Gen. Arnold gave the fund's experiment the green light.
At the time, the fund was new, created just months earlier with a promise of financial support from its principal founder, Wickliffe Preston Draper, heir to a Massachusetts manufacturing fortune. Mr. Draper, who died in 1972, and his support for southern segregationists were the subject of a front-page article (http://www.ferris.edu/ISAR/Institut/pioneer/silent.htm) in The Wall Street Journal on June 11.
The choice of pilots and their crews was logical enough. Military aviators were the astronauts of their day. Charles Lindbergh's heroic 1927 crossing of the Atlantic was a fresh memory. Moreover, Mr. Draper was a veteran of World War I and an admirer of military officers. He used the title "colonel" most of his adult life. Clearly, aviators were "of sound and desirable stock," a Pioneer Fund memo asserted at the time.
Indeed, many of the fathers of the dozen children born in 1940 were high achievers. Several were among the pioneering military pilots who in the 1920s created what would become the modern U.S. Air Force. During World War II, they rose to distinction as pilots and generals. Later, some excelled as businessmen or teachers. The six who could be identified by the Journal are now dead. None of the parents appear to have known about Mr. Draper's backing of the Pioneer Fund. Some did know vaguely that the fund sought to breed better humans; they or their children say the parents never shared the fund's racial views. Instead, most appear to have considered the scholarships to be some kind of short-lived government benefit for high-achieving fliers.
To foster replication of such men, the Pioneer Fund first financed a detailed study in 1938 of the attitudes of about 400 Air Corps officers and their wives toward family size. It concluded that financial worry was a major reason why the military men often limited themselves to three children or fewer.
Armed with the results, the Pioneer Fund's board met a few weeks before Christmas 1938 and approved a plan for the scholarship program. The following May, brochures outlining the project were distributed at air bases around the country.
After a qualifying child was born during 1940, the father would fill out a simple application form and mail it in. Once the fund had confirmed the birth of the child and size of its family, an "educational annuity" was established. The families were to begin receiving payments of $500 a year when the child turned 12 and continue for eight years, for a total of $4,000. The whole thing looked dubious to some Air Corps families even then.
"We just kind of chuckled about it," says Helen Ryan, an 87-year-old Air Force widow who remembers the program but had no children then and couldn't participate. "We all thought it was kind of a big joke."
Still, a no-strings-attached grant that was bigger than most officers' total annual pay looked good to some. And as winter lifted in 1940, word of new arrivals began trickling into the Pioneer Fund.
Mr. Skeldon was born on March 2, in a military hospital in Panama, where his father was stationed. The son would follow his father's footsteps into the Air Force in the 1960s, but worked as a mechanic, not a pilot. Born to Maj. John J. Morrow was a son named Robert. He's an electrician in Pennsylvania, according to his son. He couldn't be reached. On Aug. 18, the Warburton boys were delivered at a hospital near Dayton, Ohio. Their father, stationed at a nearby airfield, was one of the Air Corps' most dashing "scout pilots" – the term then used for the men who flew fighter planes.
Two months later, on Oct. 17, came John Rawlings, the fourth child of Edwin Rawlings, a fast-rising officer who had been quietly hoping for a daughter. (He already had three sons). Less than two weeks later came another set of twins, this time at Barksdale Air Force Base outside Shreveport, La., to John P. Ryan. Mr. Ryan, a future general, developed high-altitude bombing tactics used in the war. A 1943 Pat O'Brien movie, "Bombardier," was based partly on his life. The twins were girls; the first to arrive looked like her mother, Anna, so she was named Anne Marie. Her twin looked like her paternal grandmother, Mary. She became Maryann. Today, Maryann Russo is a former teacher who for the past 17 years has worked on the factory line in a photo-processing plant in Baltimore, cutting and inspecting thousands of glossy prints. She gave up teaching elementary school because the pupils were too unruly. "The belt doesn't talk back," she notes.
Her sister, now Anne Marie Bricker, is a nurse practitioner in Arizona. Ms. Bricker, recently divorced, moved this summer from Sedona to Phoenix, abandoning a private practice to work in a clinic. "I want to have more time for doing fun things for myself," she says.
The Warburton babies were certainly good candidates for the Pioneer Fund project. Their father, Ernest K. Warburton, was a young pilot who would soon be Brig. Gen. Warburton and the most famous test pilot of the era, flying more than 400 different allied and captured enemy aircraft. In 1945, he and the airmen under his command were the first U.S. troops to land in Japan after its surrender. Later, he commanded all air operations for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
The Warburton family heard about the Pioneer offer after Anna Warburton realized she was carrying twins, her fourth and fifth children, Mrs. Warburton says today. "I remember him coming home all" excited about the scholarship, says Mrs. Warburton, now 86. "All we really knew was that it was . . . for the children's education, and it was intended to propagate a superior group."
Ward and Darby grew up in the classic life of military children, moving often between Air Force bases in the U.S. and Europe. Both finished high school and signed up as military reservists, though they never saw active duty.
For more than 30 years, the brothers have kept refrigerators, air conditioners and washing machines running in this bucolic corner of Massachusetts, the family's home territory. Darby works on commercial cooling units. Ward is a jack-of-all appliances repairman. Their other siblings – including two doctors – are scattered from Hawaii to North Carolina.
On a grassy hilltop just outside Ware, Ward lives in a comfortable gray frame house overlooking the small tree-lined lake on which his future wife was skating the first time he saw her. His mother-in-law's home sits across the water from theirs. A collection of used washers and other appliances scavenged for spare parts protrudes from the woods behind the house.
Before venturing out a decade ago to start repairing appliances in his garage, Mr. Warburton was a fix-it man for Sears, Roebuck & Co. for 28 years. "I loved the job," he says.
Just down the highway lives Ward's fast-graying twin, Darby, in a rambling white farmhouse. Out of a barn behind the home, Darby runs a two-man commercial air-conditioning service business, which he bought in 1962. He wants to retire next year. So in June, his 26-year-old son, Ernest, started working in the family business with plans to take over.
Ward is a member of Ware Lions Club. Darby is a Rotarian. Darby, who attended the University of Michigan but didn't graduate, is financially the more successful brother. He keeps two vintage Corvettes as hobby cars, driving them to Rotary meetings every week and on other special occasions. Over a recent dinner at the Salem Cross Inn -- where Darby maintains the walk-in cooler -- the brothers banter about their decades of mostly friendly competition.
"I try to steal as many of Darby's customers as I can," Ward says. "Darby gets mad when I do."
"I do not get mad," huffs Darby, partly serious.
Darby says he doesn't recall ever knowing anything about the Pioneer Fund program before a reporter contacted the family recently, though his brother and mother insist that he was told. For his part, Ward clearly recalls the day more than 40 years ago that his father told him about the Pioneer Fund plan.
"I was the slow one in the family," says Mr. Warburton, recalling his days as an academically frustrated teenager. "Just kidding around one day . . . to cheer me up, he said, `Ward, come out of it, you're the master race.'

Blackmon, Douglas A. "A breed apart: A long ago effort to better the species yields ordinary folks." Wall Street Journal. 17 Aug 1999.
http://www.ferris.edu/ISAR/Institut/pioneer/breeding.htm

Ed Jewett
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Magda. All of this fascination with breeding and eugenics...we'd better buy the cattle a barn with marble stalls and gold-plated water fixtures.

Jan Klimkowski
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Magda - great find.

The start of the article, which I quote below, is great.

Pioneer Fund Tried to Spread `Natural Endowments' of Top Air Force Fliers

'Sound and Desirable Stock'

By DOUGLAS A. BLACKMON
Staff Reporter, THE WALL STREET JOURNAL WARE, Mass. – Tomorrow, Ward and Darby Warburton, twin brothers born on Aug. 18, 1940, will celebrate their 59th birthdays with cake and a crowd of grandchildren gathered at the home of their 86-year-old mother near this picturesque New England mill town. The brothers' shared birthday marks something more than another milestone in the lives of two World War II-era babies. It also marks the start of their involvement in an odd experiment six decades ago of which the Warburton family was a mostly unwitting subject.
Long before cloned sheep, egg donors and sperm banks, a group of wealthy Northeastern conservatives embarked on an experiment with the help of the U.S. Army Air Corps to find a way to improve the human race. The group, formed in 1937, called itself the Pioneer Fund. As is spelled out in hundreds of pages of documents and letters by its founders and their associates, the Pioneer Fund, alarmed by the declining U.S. birth rate and rising immigration, was at the forefront of the eugenics movement. Like many other prominent leaders of the time, the fund's directors were particularly concerned that "superior" Americans were not reproducing enough to pass on their "natural endowments."
So they set out to spur procreation among a group they regarded as superior indeed -- military pilots and their crews. With the support of Franklin D. Roosevelt's secretary of war, Harry H. Woodring, the group offered $4,000, about $46,000 in today's dollars, for the education of additional children born during the year 1940 to any officer who already had at least three offspring.
The Air Corps – precursor to the U.S. Air Force – promoted the program and provided the fund's psychologists extensive records on its officers, including training, parentage, race and religion, according to various memos and letters written among Pioneer Fund leaders and records of the experiment. By the end of 1940, a dozen qualifying infants – seven boys and five girls, including two sets of twins – had been born. The Pioneer Fund had expected bigger numbers. Looming war clouds seemed to have trumped the fund's financial incentives. The Pioneer Fund quietly made arrangements for the children to receive their scholarships, and never contacted the families again.
The Pioneer Fund, which today remains a controversial funder of research into the roots of intelligence, says the 1940 effort was a legitimate experiment to gauge attitudes toward family size, and nothing more. The Air Force declines to comment.

The essential question is then asked.

But how did the kids turn out?

And not answered.

Because we are in Wall Street Journal land.

The heart of the beast.

And the limited hangout.

Relax. Everything is fine. Let me sing you a lullaby.

[singing] Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow,
Why then— oh, why can't I?

This Pioneer Fund programme is a part of the deep black, suppressed, context for many testimonies that I have heard, sometimes personally, over the years.

But, shurely, this kind of eugenic experiment, run by Harry Harlow and Ewen Cameron types, on human infants, isn't possible in a democracy....

Sleep tight, little one....

Ed Jewett
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
DARPA: Transforming Soldiers One Cell at a Time

Katie Drummond
27 October 2009
World Politics Review

If you ask Spc. Daniel McBroom of the Army National Guard, the hardest part of war was the wind. "Physically and mentally, the wind was the worst," he recalls. "This endless hot wind, like 100-degree fans turned toward your body." But McBroom, 23, who returned in June after serving a year in Iraq, says that the toll of war will be different for everyone. "There's no doubt it will mark you, change your body. But I don't think anyone can predict what that change will be."

McBroom is one of nearly 1.5 million Americans enlisted in the U.S. armed forces, all of whom see different sides of war. For those involved in combat -- some 200,000 in Iraq and Afghanistan right now -- the same three phases will shape their experience: training, deployment and reintegration.

After having arrived at pre-deployment mobilization camp, where enlistees spend several months before overseas departure, every man and woman of the American military will be transformed. Physically, their bodies will be examined and immunized -- this year, against H1N1 and anthrax -- and then molded into a robust battlefield warrior. Mentally, they will undergo interactive video training and group counseling, meant to bolster them against the inevitable trauma they'll experience on the ground.

Then the war-zone transformation begins. In Iraq and Afghanistan, troops endure 110-degree heat, wind storms and torrential rain, along with ongoing threats of roadside bombings or engagement with hidden pockets of insurgency. The military's technological prowess has evolved remarkably from earlier wars, and the improvements go beyond just deadlier, more efficient weaponry. They also have implications for our own soldiers' survival. Only 10 percent of wounded troops now die from their injuries, compared to 25 percent during the Korean War.

Today, the United States is fighting a new kind of war, on a battlefield populated by unmanned drones, biological threats and an enemy in civilian dress. Yet an impersonal war is still a deadly one, and with more troops living to recover from injury and relive the battle, their bodies and minds will inevitably bear trauma.

Inevitably, that is, for now.

Enter DARPA

That's the popular acronym for the Defense Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency, responsible for the most "out there" Pentagon programs, from turning trash into electricity to turning primates into telepathic seers. Since 1958, DARPA has been the outlet for the military's wildest innovation dreams, but the agency didn't take a dedicated interest in human health until the 21st century. In 2001, when Tony Tether took DARPA's reins, his open-mindedness about ethically murky human studies, along with the burgeoning threat of biological weapons, led to a focus on troops: how to make them fitter, stronger and more resilient.

In 2002, DARPA was granted a $75 million annual bonus from Congress to boost human research projects, on the grounds that troops had become "the weakest link" in the military armor. Since then, DARPA has continued to churn out unconventional ideas by harnessing recent developments in biotechnology, neuroscience and genetics. Of course, they don't always succeed: Since the 1970s, DARPA has thrown millions of dollars into dozens of failed efforts, including telepathic troop communication. More recently, the agency has shifted away from prioritizing human advancement. More of their mega-million dollar budget is now going to eco-innovations, like turning carbon and hydrogen from water into electricity, and robotics, which might one day replace the imperfect human warrior altogether.

But DARPA still has several ongoing soldier-enhancement programs, and another handful of proposals for future ones, which offer funding to keen researchers with atypical ideas for fortifying the human mind and body. And despite the often-outlandish ideas, DARPA-funded research sometimes gets it right: Some of the agency's theoretical oddities are becoming legitimate scientific possibilities. From training to combat to recovery, today's inevitable health implications of war could one day be solved by a handful of pills and a quick trip to the body-parts bank.

Better, Stronger, Sooner

Before deployment, troops prepare with months of training, from kicking down doors to counseling a traumatized colleague. And though nothing can adequately prepare a body for the rigors of war, tomorrow's troops will leave home stronger and sturdier, in part because of the power lurking in their own cells.

At least, that's the hope of Dr. Asish Chaudhuri, a biochemist at the University of Texas Health Science Center, who's been working on enhancing soldiers at the cellular level for eight years, with $1.6 million in funding from DARPA and Veterans Affairs. He was the first to demonstrate how oxidative stress, which causes cell degeneration, aging and neurological diseases, can be mitigated by a process already at work in the body. It takes place in the mitochondria, proteins in our cells that convert energy to glucose, and, as a byproduct, also produce oxidative reactions that degenerate cells. The more energy a body requires, the more oxidative stress it incurs, and the more a cell degenerates.

Last year, the Defense Department launched Mitochondrial Energetics (http://www.dodtechmatch.com/DOD/Opportunities/SBIRView.aspx?id=A08-T006), requesting proposals that would tinker with troop's energy-production abilities. That same year, Dr. Chaudhuri concluded that mole rats, who can live up to 28 years, have a particularly efficient mitochondrial cleanup system (http://www.pnas.org/content/106/9/3059.full). Even when exposed to high levels of stress, the mole rats sustained their impressive lifespan. Now he's trying to boost the mitochondrial efficiency of primates, with a process that's part pharmaceutical and part diet. Anti-oxidants, often touted as a benefit of nutritious food, are the enzymes that eliminate byproducts of mitochondrial processes. DARPA wants those anti-oxidants condensed into a tablet, which Dr. Chaudhuri anticipates would be dozens of times more concentrated than a serving of greens. But caloric intake matters too: The byproducts of digestion cause cellular stress. So Dr. Chaudhuri expects that tomorrow's troops will also survive on a calorie-restricted diet, which, combined with anti-oxidant supplementation, will actually boost their bodies' efficiency.

"The armed forces are exposed to more stress, and more environmental toxins, than most," he says. "If we boost their mitochondrial efficiency, and curb the oxidative reaction of digestion, we're mitigating that stress before it happens."

Not only might troops increase their physical resistance to stress and toxins, they'd also minimize their risk of neurological diseases like MS and ALS, which have stricken vast numbers of Gulf War vets exposed to nerve gas and other chemical agents. "Within 10 years, I'd predict we have a supplement available," Dr. Chaudhuri says. "And neurological diseases? All but eradicated."

Mitigating existing stress is one thing, but DARPA also wants to eliminate cognitive awareness of stress altogether. This year, they launched another program (https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=55769cf6bacf8ea5a2d345c4b0a833c5&tab=core&_cview=0&cck=1&au=&ck=), this one geared towards mental, rather than physical, stamina. The program, Enabling Stress Resistance, hopes to use advances in molecular biology and neuroscience to short-circuit how we interpret and internalize stressful situations -- long before oxidative stress enters the fray.

This kind of tactical pharmacology isn't new to the military, which started doling out amphetamines to troops in World War II, and have been criticized for continuing to do so as recently as 2003, when Air Force pilots accidentally bombed a Canadian training force while charged up on Dexedrine.

But DARPA isn't looking for a quick fix. They're asking for a team of academics, including molecular biologists and neuroscientists, to first identify how stress targets the brain, and then demonstrate a pharmaceutical intervention that can reduce stress reactions by at least 75 percent in test animals. From there, DARPA wants to "inoculate warfighters" against the cognitive and emotional impact of the high-stress inevitabilties in war zones, including limited sleep, emotional disturbance and physical exertion.

Of course, an appropriate dose of stress can also be a powerful catalyst. That's why Dr. Amy Krause, the Defense Department program manager in charge of the initiative, writes that she wants a method (https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=55769cf6bacf8ea5a2d345c4b0a833c5&tab=core&_cview=0&cck=1&au=&ck=) to "identify the breaking point" at which stress turns from motivational to harmful. By mapping cognitive stress response, and then meting out a pharmaceutical intervention that can short-circuit the feedback loop before stress even happens, DARPA hopes to boost troop bravado and performance, while limiting the long-term impact of wartime trauma, which is being linked to the unprecedented number of vets struggling with symptoms of post-traumatic stress.

Infallible on the Field

Making stress a thing of the past is one part of DARPA's ongoing soldier enhancement initiative. Undoing wounds incurred on the battlefield is another. In 2006, DARPA launched the Restorative Injury Repair Program (http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrusts/bio/restbio_tech/rir/index.htm), with the lofty goal of reinventing wound-healing. Rather than leaving soldiers bearing scar tissue or chronic pain, DARPA hopes to completely restore bone, nerve, tissue and skin. The program is one of their most ambitious, but it's already reached a significant milestone. In March, researchers at Tulane University used adult skin cells to develop the equivalent of blastema -- undifferentiated cells, found in amphibians, that can be used to regenerate lost body parts.

According to Dr. Jon Mogford, the program's director, Restorative Injury Repair is targeted at the multi-tissue injuries that are often sustained in combat. "A troop with a torso trauma might have layers of skin, muscle, nerve, bone, even fat, to restore, " he says. "We want to heal any injury, anywhere."

Estimates suggest that 85 percent of wartime injuries involve multi-tissue trauma to the extremities and face, which usually means multiple surgeries, rehabilitation and permanent disability. Skin grafts and muscle scaffolding yield acceptable results, but Mogford has higher hopes. "I'm after an approach that simulates natural healing -- as if every injury were just scraped skin."

Phase two, turning the blastema cells into actual muscle, and then other tissues, is already well underway. Biologists led by the Tulane University team are using a $570,000 grant from DARPA to regrow muscle tissue, and hope to do so within a year. Of course, muscles are naturally capable of withstanding and repairing damage. After all, that's how we strengthen them. But too much trauma, like an injury sustained in a war-zone, leads to permanent scarring instead of growth and improvement. A fresh muscle transplant, however, would offer an injured soldier a fresh start.

Muscle is the first target, but functional organs, nerves and bone aren't far behind. Mogford anticipates human trials within five to 10 years, assuming that the regenerative mechanism of amphibians can effectively be scaled to human size.

Of course, tissue and organ transplants are a ways off. Even once researchers yield the specific tissue cells, they'll need to learn how to use them within the body, and how to prevent rejection. Already, though, DARPA is on the verge of unveiling another battlefield health tactic that will be available in war zones within three years: lab-cultivated red blood cells generated using stem cells.

Last year, DARPA spent $1.95 billion on their blood pharming project (http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrusts/bio/tactbio_med/blood_pharm/index.htm), which uses adult stem cells to create vast quantities of red blood cells, the most transfused blood product on the battlefield. Because naturally derived red blood cells last for less than five days, the military doesn't store them in combat zones. Instead, traumatic injuries require transportation to triage or a medical center for treatment. To manage time-sensitive blood loss, DARPA wants a portable red blood cell bioreactor -- a machine, operating on electricity and water, that quickly produces vast quantities of red blood cells for immediate tranfusion.

DARPA only started funding blood pharming in 2007, but progress has been quick. Last year, scientists at bio-firm Advanced Cell Technology produced 100 billion red blood cells from a single sample of human embryonic stem cells. The achievement was remarkable, but not quite good enough. One unit of blood contains over 1.2 trillion red blood cells, and a standard combat-related trauma requires six units of blood within the first few days of injury. According to Mogford, the bioreactor and the technology are there. The challenge is to find the right balance of inputs to yield efficient, untainted cells in vast supply. "This is a question of recipe," says Mogford. "But on paper, we're slated for clinical trials within three years. So we'll get the recipe right."

Reintegration

Wartime injuries can't be undone yet, but war-zones have become less fatal, and that means more troops returning home to face another, longer battle: reintegrating into day-to-day life. For those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, the process hasn't been easy. In July, the New York Times reported (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/us/02suicide.html) that veteran suicides were at an all-time high, and the Department of Veteran's Affairs estimates that 40 percent of today's troops will suffer from post-traumatic stress symptoms.

In 2008, the military started screening all returning troops for mental health symptoms. But a psych evaluation can't spot symptons if they don't show up until months or years later, and a 2007 report (http://www.health.mil/dhb/mhtf/MHTF-Report-Final.pdf)(.pdf) by an Army task force estimates that thousands of affected troops are going undetected. Until DARPA's pharmaceutical stress-resistance solution becomes a reality, the agency is also trying to make diagnosing post-traumatic stress and other post-war injuries easier, cheaper and more convenient.

Among the programs DARPA is backing are an at-home neuro-imaging device to diagnose changes in brain waves, and software that can detect changes in speech patterns associated with burgeoning mental health problems. But the thrust of their funding is going towards PREVENT: Preventing Violent Explosive Neurological Trauma (http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrusts/bio/mainhuman/prevent/index.htm). Launched in 2006, the program aims to detect brain trauma resulting from exposure to explosive devices. The phenomenon, called TBI (traumatic brain injury), often leads to symptoms that are similar to those associated with post-traumatic stress -- including confusion, anxiety, and depression, among others. So far, research hasn't determined why a soldier exposed to a blast can seem injury-free, but still suffer from long-term brain trauma. "We needed to go back to square one," says Mogford, "and determine the actual mechanism causing the damage."

Dr. Ibolja Cernak, an applied physicist at Johns Hopkins, was the first to study the injuries, which are undetectable even on sensitive MRI screenings. She theorizes that a blast can send a spike of energy through blood vessels, squeezing brain cells and changing how they transmit information. It's a domino effect that snowballs slowly, showing up over months or years.

DARPA is also evaluating the role of electromagnetic pulse, light and noise, and physical jolting, in causing TBI. Already, PREVENT has funded human studies on marines-in-training, who were exposed to small blasts and then examined for gradual neurological impairment. Unlike a concussion, which can heal, Cernak hypothesizes that TBI occurs at a molecular level. By determining the tipping point -- how many blast exposures are too many -- the military could rotate out troops who've been overexposed, until the ill effects can be prevented.

Prevention of post-traumatic stress, and a solution for traumatic brain injury, are likely decades away, but better diagnosis and improved prevention is around the corner. The same goes for prosthetic devices. Thanks to DARPA-funded research, they'll be more intuitive and life-like by next year, and indistinguishable from human limbs within a decade.

Ironically, the research might never have happened were it not for the better medical care available on the ground, says Fred Downs, the head of prosthetic devices at the VA's Veteran's Health Administration. Downs, who lost his arm in the Vietnam War, says that before the Gulf War, upper limbs accounted for fewer than 3 percent of amputations. In 2008, they accounted for nearly a quarter, because troops who would have died from their injuries 30 years ago are coming home alive. Unfortunately, most are receiving prosthetic devices that are the same now as they were after World War II.

That's where DARPA comes in. They've launched a $100 million program, Revolutionizing Prosthetic Devices (http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrusts/bio/restbio_tech/revprost/index.htm), to finally bring artificial limbs into the 21st century. The thrust of the program is the DEKA arm, which took three years and a team of 30 researchers to develop, and shrinks 25 circuit boards and 10 motors into a device no bigger than the average human arm. Downs, who is one of 10 at-home testers of the limb, says it offers so much control that he's able to pick up small objects, like bottle caps, for the first time in 40 years. "I've got buttons inserted into my cowboy boots, and I push on those to move the arm," he explains. Different button combinations, triggered by Downs' feet, send wireless signals to the arm, causing unique movement patterns.

Downs anticipates that the arm will be available within a year for veterans and civilians, but DARPA already has plans for the next phase of prosthetic devices, which will harness neuroscience to create prosthetic arms that are indistinguishable from real limbs. The first step, being tinkered with by biochemists at the University of Michigan, is to attach severed nerves to a bioengineered scaffold, which then grafts onto the arm's muscle. As with a real human limb, thought would yield movement, and the neuromuscular connection could also relay sensory perceptions. "It's sci-fi stuff, Star Wars stuff, but it's going to work," predicts Downs. "We'll keep making improvements until it's like these traumas never happened."

Troops with endless energy, resistance to bio-threats and protection from injuries that once meant a lifetime of rehabilitation and suffering: What sounds like science fiction is exactly where DARPA is headed.

But not everyone wants to join them there. Spc. McBroom, who plans to redeploy next year despite a knee injury and recurring flashbacks, likely won't benefit from any of the new possibilities. And that's fine by him. "A world where you throw a pill at anything is not where I want to be," he says. "We train, we go, and we hope to come back. That's what I signed on for, and that's just how it's always been."

Katie Drummond is a journalist and editor in New York who specializes in unconventional and alternative approaches to health and medicine. She contributes military medical coverage to Danger Room (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom) at Wired.com and writes a column, The Extreme Self (http://trueslant.com/katiedrummond), at True/Slant Online.

Photo: DARPA'S non-invasively controlled advanced prosthetic developed under the Revolutionizing Prosthetics 2007 program.(DARPA/DEKA Photo).

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/article.aspx?id=4497

Jan Klimkowski
10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Last year, the Defense Department launched Mitochondrial Energetics, requesting proposals that would tinker with troop's energy-production abilities. That same year, Dr. Chaudhuri concluded that mole rats, who can live up to 28 years, have a particularly efficient mitochondrial cleanup system. Even when exposed to high levels of stress, the mole rats sustained their impressive lifespan. Now he's trying to boost the mitochondrial efficiency of primates, with a process that's part pharmaceutical and part diet. Anti-oxidants, often touted as a benefit of nutritious food, are the enzymes that eliminate byproducts of mitochondrial processes. DARPA wants those anti-oxidants condensed into a tablet, which Dr. Chaudhuri anticipates would be dozens of times more concentrated than a serving of greens. But caloric intake matters too: The byproducts of digestion cause cellular stress. So Dr. Chaudhuri expects that tomorrow's troops will also survive on a calorie-restricted diet, which, combined with anti-oxidant supplementation, will actually boost their bodies' efficiency.

"The armed forces are exposed to more stress, and more environmental toxins, than most," he says. "If we boost their mitochondrial efficiency, and curb the oxidative reaction of digestion, we're mitigating that stress before it happens."

Not only might troops increase their physical resistance to stress and toxins, they'd also minimize their risk of neurological diseases like MS and ALS, which have stricken vast numbers of Gulf War vets exposed to nerve gas and other chemical agents. "Within 10 years, I'd predict we have a supplement available," Dr. Chaudhuri says. "And neurological diseases? All but eradicated."

Mitigating existing stress is one thing, but DARPA also wants to eliminate cognitive awareness of stress altogether. This year, they launched another program, this one geared towards mental, rather than physical, stamina. The program, Enabling Stress Resistance, hopes to use advances in molecular biology and neuroscience to short-circuit how we interpret and internalize stressful situations -- long before oxidative stress enters the fray.

This kind of tactical pharmacology isn't new to the military, which started doling out amphetamines to troops in World War II, and have been criticized for continuing to do so as recently as 2003, when Air Force pilots accidentally bombed a Canadian training force while charged up on Dexedrine.

But DARPA isn't looking for a quick fix. They're asking for a team of academics, including molecular biologists and neuroscientists, to first identify how stress targets the brain, and then demonstrate a pharmaceutical intervention that can reduce stress reactions by at least 75 percent in test animals. From there, DARPA wants to "inoculate warfighters" against the cognitive and emotional impact of the high-stress inevitabilties in war zones, including limited sleep, emotional disturbance and physical exertion.

Of course, an appropriate dose of stress can also be a powerful catalyst. That's why Dr. Amy Krause, the Defense Department program manager in charge of the initiative, writes that she wants a method to "identify the breaking point" at which stress turns from motivational to harmful. By mapping cognitive stress response, and then meting out a pharmaceutical intervention that can short-circuit the feedback loop before stress even happens, DARPA hopes to boost troop bravado and performance, while limiting the long-term impact of wartime trauma, which is being linked to the unprecedented number of vets struggling with symptoms of post-traumatic stress.

This is massively ignorant, dangerous and reckless pseudo-science on a captive audience, drilled and trained to obey orders - namely, soldiers.

Big Pharma suddenly has hundreds of thousands of free human guinea pigs.

The cop-out line from the hackette who wrote the piece, "But DARPA isn't looking for a quick fix", reveals that the piece is pure propaganda.

Ed Jewett
10-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the clarity, Jan. I don't particular like posting what is obviously a sales pitch that shows the gloss but not the inside truth, and Wired/Defense is often (if not always) a mouthpiece for the US DOD and DARPA but, on the other hand, it sometimes is the only way those of us on the outside, up in the cheap seats, can have a clue as to what is really going on way behind the scenes. And, as I am sure you appreciate, if we are seeing it addressed in a public outlet in late 2009, it's probably been in development for at least a year, maybe more, and even already in use somewhere in some dark hell-hole of a corner.

Jan Klimkowski
10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the clarity, Jan. I don't particular like posting what is obviously a sales pitch that shows the gloss but not the inside truth, and Wired/Defense is often (if not always) a mouthpiece for the US DOD and DARPA but, on the other hand, it sometimes is the only way those of us on the outside, up in the cheap seats, can have a clue as to what is really going on way behind the scenes. And, as I am sure you appreciate, if we are seeing it addressed in a public outlet in late 2009, it's probably been in development for at least a year, maybe more, and even already in use somewhere in some dark hell-hole of a corner.

Ed -I absolutely agree that the likes of "Wired" can shine valuable light on otherwise largely hidden scientific or technological developments.

I worked for MSM for nearly 20 years. Sometimes the price of access is that you have play by Their rules. Sometimes getting the information into the public domain, on the record, may justify an uncritical editorial line.

When I was at the BBC, I was once offered access to a new non-lethal technology, a viscous kind of chemical net that could be fired by cops at fleeing criminals to apprehend them.

I was sorely tempted to accept the offer and make the short film. The company who'd produced this "non-lethal technology" was desperate to publicize it and agreed to set up a great "chase scene" for me to film. I could have justified filming it as the price of revealing this crazy nonsense to the world. Ultimately, though, I just couldn't stomach the thought of writing a script extolling the brave new world of law enforcement agents humanely pursuing and catching the bad guys with Company Z's patented SpiderWeb stuff.

I also suspected that sooner or later some "villain" would get a mouthful of goo and choke to death on it. Or meet some other non-lethal end...

On reflection, I was perhaps a little harsh on the author of the World Politics Review piece. I also agree that it contains much important and little known material.

Ed Jewett
10-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Jan, I should have been more precise. Yes, the article was from World Politics Review and, when posting, I went right to its greater detail without noting that I'd discovered it when the "hackette" was blowing her own horn over here: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/10/national-security-one-microbe-at-a-time/ .... which I'd mindlessly (but perhaps accurately?) referred to as Wired/Defense.

A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was enrolled in a conference on health planning run by an arm of the BU School of Public Health. There, I learned a technique for "seeing" and plotting the power/salience positions of various "players" by 'seeing' (or creating a graphic of) a three-dimensional hollowed cube with a mid-stripe which constituted a "zero" line. Graph lines along the inner walls at 1" and 2" (above and below the midline, i.e., both positive and negative) allowed the end-user to label, position and index any entity -- in this case, agency, media outlet, etc. -- on any issue. Done with pen and paper, or mentally, or with computer tools, such a device would allow deep politics analysts to consider, remember, plot and alter the relative positions and strengths of any "party", be they author, columnist, media outlet, spokesperson, etc.

Another way of "seeing this, if my description wasn't clear enough, would be to simply sit your self down mentally inside a room painted white measuring 12' long, 8' wide, 8' high, with a black stripe around the walls at the 4' mark to represent the "zero" line. Marks at 2" and 6' feet represented values of -1 and +1; the floor was -2 and the ceiling +2. Fishing line was used to suspend 2"x2" cards labeled with topic and identity, and its power measured on the vertical, and its salience measured on the horizontal.

Voila! A mental visual "walk-through".... Given the right kind of software tool, such a thing could be a semi-permanent or malleable "sticky" on any topic; time and multi-issue cross-over then becomes very instructive, to say nothing of multi-topic cross-over.

Conceptually, mentally, is this how people like Peter Dale Scott think through deep events across decades?

Charles Drago
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Naval shrink Lt Narut told British journalists about his work in creating cadres of assassins from psychopaths in prisons.

How far back do such programs extend?

At least the 1950s. See From Russia with Love (the novel), in which the very tuned-in Ian Fleming created the character of "Red Grant" -- a lunar cycle serial killer conscripted, controlled, and utilized by SMERSH (a very real organization, by the way) as an assassin.