• The JFK Assassination wiki project

    DPF has been associated with Wikispooks since it was set up in the Spring of 2010 and shares a common purpose of increasing the dissemination of suppressed information. To date, among other things, technical know-how has been shared and the ISGP archive, linked from the Forum main menu, has been hosted on the Wikispooks server.

    Following requests for both Timeline and other Wiki-type facilities from DPF members, it has now been agreed to make these available to DPF members, as a distinct category of user, on the Wikispooks site.

    It has not proved possible to operate a common registration system so DPF members who wish to do anything other than browse and search the Wikispooks site will need to register there too. Please use exactly the same user name (in both the 'Username' and 'Real Name' fields on the registration form) and put a note in the 'personal biography' stating that you are an existing DPF member. This will ensure that your Wikispooks registration is correctly categorized.

    The site uses exactly the same base software as Wikipedia. A few minutes browsing the project area will tell you much of what the Wikispooks site itself is about. There is a clearly recognizable graphics-based link in the banner of the site Main page to the DPF wiki page and there is a 'DPF Members' section in the main navigation sidebar to the left. From there you will find more basic instructions and a link to the (currently experimental) JKF timeline facility.

    Wiki editing is very different from standard DPF forum editing. However, it is not rocket science. A bit of experimentation, plus some time browsing the copious help pages should answer most wiki-specific questions.

    Please feel free to use the forum thread associated with this article for any questions, suggestions etc that arise from this initiative here.

    There is a link to the current main Wikispooks DPF page on the Forum menu bar and here.
    Comments 13 Comments
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Presland View Post
      Please use this forum thread for questions, discussion and suggestion about the project.
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      The following was sent by bulk email to DPF members who have contributed to the JFK Assassination forum today:

      We are at an advanced stage of developing wiki facilities for special-interest DPF users. Its initial focus is on the JFK assassination. It features a unique crowd-sourcing/editing timeline facility which can be viewed here:
      https://wikispooks.com/wiki/JFK_Assassination_Timeline

      A DPF article explaining the initiative, with linked discussion thread is located here:
      https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums...n-wiki-project

      Because of apparent hostility to anything but the official version of events on Wikipedia, an alternative public resource is needed. This Wiki and time line will be publicly available to view but editorially accessible only to experienced and knowledgeable researchers to collectively build this important body of work and disseminate information effectively suppressed by both Wikipedia and the MSM generally

      As a DPF user who we believe is interested in JFK assassination research we intend to register you as a Wikispooks user so that you will have editing access to the wiki and timeline.

      In course of the next few days you should receive an email from domain 'wikispooks.com' with the subject line 'Account creation for WikiSpooks'. It will advise you of your user name (should be same as DPF) and password, with a link to log in and change the password.

      If wiki editing is new or unfamiliar to you a sand box facility is available to practice with at this link:
      https://wikispooks.com/wiki/WikiSpooks:Sandbox

      If you know of other researchers who would be interested to participate in either of these projects please feel free to tell them about it. Registration at the DPF is required but no one is required to make posts or participate on the forum. This is just an administrative and technical requirement.

      If you do not wish to take part in this initiative please let me know asap.

      In any event, no Wikispooks user account will be created unless you log in using the link provided in the email.
      If you would like to be included in this initiative and have not received the above email yet (some addresses are missing from DPF records and others are out of date), then either reply to this post or simply create an account on Wikispooks yourself at: https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Special:RequestAccount
    1. Jim Hargrove's Avatar
      Jim Hargrove -
      Thanks, Peter, for these pointers to what may well become an important contribution in our efforts to keep truth alive about JFK's assassination. I'd like to suggest an immediate project.

      On the pitiful Wikipedia "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page, at the end of the second paragraph, just before the "Contents" list, is a link to "numerous conspiracy theories" that points to a MUCH better presentation of current research about the Kennedy assassination. Perhaps we could start a DPF wiki campaign to compel a Wikipedia disambiguation notice atop the "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page aimed at success before the 50th anniversary next month. The disambiguation note might read something like this:

      Below is an article about the Kennedy Assassination that closely corresponds to the U.S. Government's version of events. To see information mostly hidden by the U.S. Government, click here...

      ...which would link to Wikipedia's current "John F. Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories" page. The terminology is infuriating, yet the link could still make a big difference, and help us make a roaring start on DPF's new wiki project. Just a thought...

      Jim
    1. Jim Hargrove's Avatar
      Jim Hargrove -
      wikispooks.com currently is not working.

      Jim
    1. Magda Hassan's Avatar
      Magda Hassan -
      We will definitely be placing a link to the new JFK wiki on the Wikipedia JFK assassination entry. Which as you say Jim is pretty pitiful. Actually, we will be placing several links in several places. Suggestions welcome.
    1. Magda Hassan's Avatar
      Magda Hassan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hargrove View Post
      wikispooks.com currently is not working.

      Jim
      It's working for me? Might just be a cookie issue?
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hargrove View Post
      Thanks, Peter, for these pointers to what may well become an important contribution in our efforts to keep truth alive about JFK's assassination. I'd like to suggest an immediate project.

      On the pitiful Wikipedia "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page, at the end of the second paragraph, just before the "Contents" list, is a link to "numerous conspiracy theories" that points to a MUCH better presentation of current research about the Kennedy assassination. Perhaps we could start a DPF wiki campaign to compel a Wikipedia disambiguation notice atop the "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page aimed at success before the 50th anniversary next month. The disambiguation note might read something like this:
      Below is an article about the Kennedy Assassination that closely corresponds to the U.S. Government's version of events. To see information mostly hidden by the U.S. Government, click here...

      ...which would link to Wikipedia's current "John F. Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories" page. The terminology is infuriating, yet the link could still make a big difference, and help us make a roaring start on DPF's new wiki project. Just a thought...

      Jim
      Thanks for that Jim. From my own Wikipedia editing experience (which finally resulted in Wikispooks) I doubt that will work. Wikipedia have quite deliberately compartmentalized the non-mainstream stuff on pretty much everything into their 'Alternative views' project - see here . Established policy seems to be to limit main pages to obscure links to that section and any change will involve a big struggle.

      I am away for a few days, but next week I will import that 'conspiracy theories' page into Wikispooks and do a bit of obviously required editing. It could then become the basis of much additional work by DPF members making it much more relevant and accurate.
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      I have put up a stub of the Wikipedia page referred to by Jim above. It is only an introduction at present but I will import the rest following suitable edits, sometime next week. It will also need appropriate links to both the timeline and no doubt various DPF discussion threads too.

      https://wikispooks.com/wiki/The_Assa...John_F_Kennedy

      In the meantime anyone else is welcome to get stuck in. The red text indicates pages that do not (yet) exist on the site. Clicking them will open a blank creation page. Alternatively they can be replaced with references or links to an external site - or simply left as is.
    1. Jim Hargrove's Avatar
      Jim Hargrove -
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Presland View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hargrove View Post
      Thanks, Peter, for these pointers to what may well become an important contribution in our efforts to keep truth alive about JFK's assassination. I'd like to suggest an immediate project.

      On the pitiful Wikipedia "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page, at the end of the second paragraph, just before the "Contents" list, is a link to "numerous conspiracy theories" that points to a MUCH better presentation of current research about the Kennedy assassination. Perhaps we could start a DPF wiki campaign to compel a Wikipedia disambiguation notice atop the "Assassination of John F. Kennedy" page aimed at success before the 50th anniversary next month. The disambiguation note might read something like this:
      Below is an article about the Kennedy Assassination that closely corresponds to the U.S. Government's version of events. To see information mostly hidden by the U.S. Government, click here...

      ...which would link to Wikipedia's current "John F. Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories" page. The terminology is infuriating, yet the link could still make a big difference, and help us make a roaring start on DPF's new wiki project. Just a thought...

      Jim
      Thanks for that Jim. From my own Wikipedia editing experience (which finally resulted in Wikispooks) I doubt that will work. Wikipedia have quite deliberately compartmentalized the non-mainstream stuff on pretty much everything into their 'Alternative views' project - see here . Established policy seems to be to limit main pages to obscure links to that section and any change will involve a big struggle.

      I am away for a few days, but next week I will import that 'conspiracy theories' page into Wikispooks and do a bit of obviously required editing. It could then become the basis of much additional work by DPF members making it much more relevant and accurate.
      You're probably right, Peter, but who among us has enough talent, energy and free time to initiate yet another quixotic attempt to speak truth to power with sufficient volume and clarity to change anything? And yet with your help, and the efficiency of open wiki code, we might yet give the powers that be a run for their money!

      Seeding an edited version of Wikipedia's "JFK assassination conspiracy theories" page (geez, could they possibly be more insulting?) should be a great start. I'll try to contribute to it, and I'll try to get John Armstrong involved too. What have we got to lose that we haven't already lost? Thanks again!

      Jim
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      Since announcing the DPF JFK wiki and assassination timeline initiative a few weeks ago I have posted nothing further because there have been teething problems to iron out. The software is now working satisfactorily and I judge it robust enough to facilitate serious work on subjects that would benefit from detailed timeline analysis. The JFK assassination is a classic such subject.

      Anyone interested can get an insight into the development and current status of the generic timeline project at the Sandbox wiki.

      The current timeline content consists mainly of example data from the original author of the software and would undoubtedly benefit from editing by knowledgeable people . However, I have also started adding events from the published Rich Dellarosa timeline and there are clearly MANY more sources that others may wish to include. The process of adding events is pretty straightforward.

      Few people from DPF have registered at Wikispooks so far. However, can I ask those interested in JFK assassination research to please revisit the relevant pages linked above and spend a few minutes rooting around. You will find the facilities to be comprehensive and very easy to both view and contribute to.

      Also, suggestions and/or questions are welcome, either here on the relevant timeline discussion pages.
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      More work done on timeline functionality.

      The timeline now centers on a specified date. And I've added a collage of photos - makes it a little more visually attractive. More usability mods in the pipepeline.

      I have to say there has been little to no further interest shown by DPF members. However, I'm pressing on with it because, as a wiki-based, crowd-sourced timeline facility, I'm not aware of anything else that competes with it in terms of ease of editing and event addition

      Any feedback welcome

      Current iteration here
    1. Tracy Riddle's Avatar
      Tracy Riddle -
      Thanks for your efforts, Peter. i wish I had more time and energy to contribute to it right now.
    1. Peter Presland's Avatar
      Peter Presland -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Riddle View Post
      Thanks for your efforts, Peter. i wish I had more time and energy to contribute to it right now.
      No problem Tracy.

      When I originally started looking for timeline software for DPF a year or so ago, what stood out was the plethora of available options to display timelines - and very fancy and impressive-looking many are too - cosmetically at least. But the one big problem with all that I looked at was that the xml, JSON or whatever files that held their displayed timeline events had to be prepared externally. It was thus next to impossible to make them genuinely crowd-sourced.

      The big advantage with the wiki approach is that each event is a stand-alone page that can be created and edited by any registered user. The pages can be edited and added to just like any other wiki page and each has its own dedicated talk page where differences over minutiae can be ironed out. It thus has potential to facilitate complex research collaborations. And, since u-t-d backups of the site are publicly available, people can have confidence that, should it disappear for whatever reason, someone somewhere can and probably will resurrect it.

      Anyway, I intend to plod on with it and set up a few other timelines too - especially for UK controversial stuff like the deaths of David Kelly, Diana Princes of Wales and the Spy-in-a-bag Gareth Williams. There are clearly many more candidates and any registered user can start one.