Thread: Protest could become expensive in Britain

1. Default Protest could become expensive in Britain

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...protest-police

Metropolitan Police in London "will no longer facilitate the temporary closure of roads along the agreed route", meaning that protesters will have to pay for private security services.

The Met spokeswoman said the police’s core responsibilities were “preventing and detecting crime, maintenance of the Queen’s Peace and protecting life and property”.
    I wonder under which category the guarding of Julian Assange in the Equadorian Embassy falls.
    The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wiethoff View Post
    From http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...protest-police

Metropolitan Police in London "will no longer facilitate the temporary closure of roads along the agreed route", meaning that protesters will have to pay for private security services.
    Bugger that. Just march any way. The streets belong to all. Don't even have to ask 'permission' though often there is a courtesy notice of plans to march.

The Met spokeswoman said the police’s core responsibilities were “preventing and detecting crime, maintenance of the Queen’s Peace and protecting life and property”.
    I wonder under which category the guarding of Julian Assange in the Equadorian Embassy falls.
    Maybe protecting property? I'm sure the US thinks they own JA's arse.
    "I think it would be a good idea." Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.
    Karl Marx.

"Well, he would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies, 1963, replied Ms Rice Davies when the prosecuting counsel pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or having even met her.