Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.N. crime chief says drug money flowed into banks
Interesting little blurb on "liquid capital." Confusedmokin:

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2009...-DRUGS.php

VIENNA: The United Nations' crime and drug watchdog has indications that money made in illicit drug trade has been used to keep banks afloat in the global financial crisis, its head was quoted as saying on Sunday.

Vienna-based UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa said in an interview released by Austrian weekly Profil that drug money often became the only available capital when the crisis spiralled out of control last year.

"In many instances, drug money is currently the only liquid investment capital," Costa was quoted as saying by Profil. "In the second half of 2008, liquidity was the banking system's main problem and hence liquid capital became an important factor."

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime had found evidence that "interbank loans were funded by money that originated from drug trade and other illegal activities," Costa was quoted as saying. There were "signs that some banks were rescued in that way."

Profil said Costa declined to identify countries or banks which may have received drug money and gave no indication how much cash might be involved. He only said Austria was not on top of his list, Profil said.
I'm glad you posted this. I was going to do it last night but it was too late by that stage.

Well, I suppose they will now use that as a justification for keeping it illegal. Idea
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Quote:He only said Austria was not on the top of his list

Snigger.

A few years ago, the City of London, with over 400 banks, was listed as number 8 on the money laundering list - whereas the Vatican that has just one bank, the IOR was listed in seventh place. :dontknow:

But, of course, if you were to bring into this equation all the Brit off-shore places and protectorates like the Channel Islands, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Isle of Man and many others that "do" for the City, then the UK would be at the top of the list by a country mile, I suspect.

Laundering drug money is a fact of banking life and has been for decades now and is understood and accepted to be "business as usual" at every level of government and finance.

That is why, I think, crooks have the run of the banking system as has been amply demonstrated in the naked short selling that has brought disaster to the markets in the last year. And now those same crooks are getting our tax dollars for the next 20 years as part of the global banking system bail out.

What was it Lord Rothschild said about government and banking (well over 100 years ago too):

Quote:"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws."
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Well, the formerly respectable banking fraternity are looking like they couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel or a piss up in a brewery these days.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
On the other hand they appear to have run off with several trillion dollars of our money and no one i government is doing a damn thing about it (nor will they!).

From my time in their domain I soon learned that all that guff about being prudent and respectable was simply PR veneer. They're ferociously greedy and ruthless. Dealing rooms are full of spivs who once upon time would have wheeled a barrow along Petticoat Lane for a living...
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Quote:Well, the formerly respectable banking fraternity are looking like they couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel or a piss up in a brewery these days.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey,I'm just trying to laugh my poverty away............
Laugh

Keith
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
We on Deep Politics Forum do of course know this. :elefant:

However, it's pretty amazing to witness a senior UN official come out and say it.

What next?

Will George W Bush end up like his granddaddy, being prosecuted for Trading with the Enemy?

Or perhaps, more appropriately, Bankrolling and Inventing the Enemy?
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Keith Millea Wrote:
Quote:Well, the formerly respectable banking fraternity are looking like they couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel or a piss up in a brewery these days.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey,I'm just trying to laugh my poverty away............
Laugh

Keith

Please let me know if that works for you Keith. If so I'll give it a try.
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:We on Deep Politics Forum do of course know this. :elefant:

However, it's pretty amazing to witness a senior UN official come out and say it.

Yes. Senior UN official, by name, on the record.

The deep stuff is coming to the surface. Floating to the top as it were.
Myra Bronstein Wrote:
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:We on Deep Politics Forum do of course know this. :elefant:

Yes. Senior UN official, by name, on the record.

The deep stuff is coming to the surface. Floating to the top as it were.

There are times when only an emoticon will do....

Toilet
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 60's Drug Culture and Intelligence Lauren Johnson 9 14,187 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Saudi prince held in Beirut airport drug bust Danny Jarman 2 9,830 27-10-2015, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Elite Families and their Origins as Drug Dealers? Magda Hassan 18 33,517 05-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  New drug scandal Tracy Riddle 2 9,850 27-03-2015, 06:22 PM
  Billy Graham, Drug Trafficking, Ebola, and the CIA? Doug Fisher 47 83,662 15-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Drug Trafficking as Strategic Intelligence The CIA & Drugs, Inc.: a Covert History by DOUG VALENTINE Magda Hassan 0 7,405 09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Millions missing from DEA money-laundering operation David Guyatt 0 6,339 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The Afghan War: "No Blood for Opium" The Hidden Military Agenda is to Protect the Drug Trade Magda Hassan 7 14,658 07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
  Peter Dale Scott on CIA Drug Trafficking, Managed Violence & the Russian 9/11 Peter Lemkin 1 5,735 10-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  Bolivia Vice President Says U.S. Drug Agents Not Welcome Back Ed Jewett 3 4,903 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski