Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'The Family - The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power' by Jeff Sharlet
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:I would interested in learning more of the former Latvian president's work on experimental psychology and memory, conducted at McGill University, at a crucial time in that institution's history.

Wow. I guess I heard about McGill in both cases but didn't make the connexion. It's a big university I guess, so who knows. I remember the Economist magazine did a one page feature on Freiburg when she was made Latvian president, about how cool she is etc. It mentioned her doctoral thesis topic I think. As I remember it, it was something about psychology and mythology, but this was a long time ago. I also happened to see her once at some function. Elderly, fake smile, would probably feel at ease rubbing elbows with European royalty but doesn't mind slumming it up with Eastern Europeans for the time being. An impression.

About half of Latvia speaks Russian, and in Riga more than that, and not Latvian. Latvians speak Russia too of course. Anyway, in Riga the Russians refuse to speak Latvian and the Latvians refuse to speak Russian, pretty much. There are a lot of stateless Russians in Latvia, the independent state that emerged in 1991 considered the Russians illegal immigrants. Estonia pretty much adopted the same policy. That's why the Arctic Sea story features 4 or more stateless hijackers. So Vaira Vike Freiburg during one of her campaigns said she was going to learn Russian. I guess she tried and failed, or at least gave up on the idea pretty soon; she never learned Russian.

Messages In This Thread
'The Family - The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power' by Jeff Sharlet - by Helen Reyes - 16-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prolonging The Agony: How the Anglo-American Establishment Deliberately Extended WWI Paul Rigby 1 7,756 11-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  American Grand Strategy and Corporate Elite Networks Anthony Thorne 1 7,674 26-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  A Government of Wolves - The Emerging American Police State - John Whitehead Peter Lemkin 3 8,646 22-08-2014, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Peter Dale Scott's THE AMERICAN DEEP STATE Anthony Thorne 0 4,603 18-05-2014, 01:03 PM
  Covert Wars and Breakaway Civilizations: The Secret Space Program, Celestial Psyops and Hidden... Kevin O'Keeffe 3 4,711 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The CIA Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists Ed Jewett 14 9,847 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  New Peter Dale Scott book - THE DOOMSDAY PROJECT FOR VIOLENT POWER Anthony Thorne 0 3,884 01-10-2013, 02:48 AM
  John Prados' THE FAMILY JEWELS - The CIA, Secrecy and Presidential Power Anthony Thorne 2 4,906 19-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Jim Hackett II
  Book: America's Nazi Secret Adele Edisen 4 5,441 14-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  A Secret Order: Investigating the High Strangeness and Synchronicity in the JFK Assassination Magda Hassan 11 8,583 20-05-2013, 01:54 PM