Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercedes Hijacks Che Image for Free Market Insult
Korda's family will sue. They are fine if I make 2,000 tshirts with his picture screen printed on them to sell at a market and make money for a progressive cause but they want no commercial corporation to use that photo.
Quote: In 2000, he sued Smirnoff over the use of the image in advertisement. Commenting on the illicit use of his photograph, the artist said, "As a supporter of the ideals for which Che Guevara died, I am not averse to its reproduction by those who wish to propagate his memory and the cause of social justice throughout the world, but I am categorically against the exploitation of Che's image for the promotion of products such as alcohol, or for any purpose that denigrates the reputation of Che". His out-of-court settlement of US $50,000 was donated to the Cuban healthcare system. He said, "If Che were still alive, he would have done the same".
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
Mercedes Hijacks Che Image for Free Market Insult - by Magda Hassan - 13-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlantic Free Press Closing Doors Ed Jewett 0 2,480 22-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. Anthony Marsh 29 16,361 29-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Anthony Marsh
  What a dreadful image this conjures Magda Hassan 6 6,497 31-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Myra Bronstein