Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Nice one Magda. Its a little different though because its not art, but life.

BTW, speaking of what passes for life and art in America these days: I kind of lost interest in the Oscars many years ago. I mean when films like Dr. Strangelove, Bonnie and Clyde and The Grduate didn't win, and when The Wild Bunch (for me, the greatest Western ever) did not even get nominated, then something was wrong some place.

But I am glad that this year some fairly good historical films got nominated like Lincoln, Argo and the more current Zero Dark Thirty.

I didn't like all of them, I mean I wrote a pretty negative review of the last film at Bob Parry's site. But at least they got made. I kind of liked Argo and thought the script of that was both clever and funny with some really neat one liners. I thought Lincoln was a bit talky and stuffy, but with some really wonderful acting in it especially by the fantastic Daniel Day Lewis and the fine Tommy Lee Jones.

I didn't think very highly of the movie version of Le Miz, and please do not get me started on the latest Quentin Tarantino revenge fantasy for adults. WHen my students ask me if I saw Django Unchained I said, "I wouldn't see a Quentin Tarantino movie if the studio rented the theater just for me, picked me up in a Lincoln limousine, and served me a bucket of Dom Perignon champagne during the screening."

They ask me, "What's Dom Perignon?" I reply, "Don't worry you'll never drink it."

Actually I think its ridiculous to nominate ten films for Best Picture. I mean, it was tough to come up with five most years.

But anyway if Ben Affleck, Day Lewis and Tommy Lee win, it will be a good night.

Zero Dark Thirty? Are you serious??? The propaganda film that glorifies torture?
That film will never darken my door.

Dawn

Messages In This Thread
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour - by Dawn Meredith - 26-02-2013, 02:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JFK Act Shown Little to NO Respect, nor NARA/President following its legal mandate Peter Lemkin 3 12,089 07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Bill Turner on Garrison KPFA Jim DiEugenio 2 7,765 10-01-2018, 06:12 AM
  Turner on Garrison Files on JFK Peter Lemkin 0 6,425 30-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  "Eyeball to Eyeball: JFK vs. the Joint Chiefs in THIRTEEN DAYS" Joseph McBride 0 3,334 25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  This post reminds me of that movie; "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Scott Kaiser 3 3,328 03-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  AOL story "Clint Hill clearly hears the third shot" taken off line within 1 hour. Drew Phipps 0 2,217 25-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Castro Figured out the JFK Assassiantion in Five Days Jim DiEugenio 6 5,517 24-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto
  William Turner: RIP Jim DiEugenio 5 4,762 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The 2015 Hollywood mediation of Executive Action (1973) in the new movie Trumbo Nathaniel Heidenheimer 2 3,474 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  Last Days in Vietnam Jim DiEugenio 7 5,410 15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle