Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pejorative tag "conspiracy theorist"
Dawn Meredith Wrote:
Malcolm Pryce Wrote:A good review and a valiant effort Martin. I have to say I have reached the sad conclusion it is largely a waste of time trying to persuade people by drawing their attention to the evidence, no matter how compelling it is. The problem is not the evidence, it's the mind-set. Most people who use the ad hom conspiracy theory' are really just saying, That can't be true because if it were I wouldn't like it'. Most people react to information that threatens their established beliefs with hostility, mockery, and a drawing-up of the drawbridge. What fascinates me is, why some people can have the scales fall from their eyes, and others never will. What is the difference?

I sadly agree. People just do not want to know. If they did they would do a bit of reading themselves. Whenever I try to present evidence contrary to what the media talking heads spew it gets met with indifference and outright annoyance. A few times I have been successful by presenting the person with a well- documented video and the person is speechless, but the next day it is forgotten. Blinders. Ignorance is safer for most.

Dawn

You know, I can understand the wilful ignorance of the everyday Joe. I can see the logic that says "Why get worked up about stuff you can't do anything about?" People just want to live their lives dumb and happy.

The people I can't understand are those like Aaronovitch, supposed "historians" who let the evidence decide the narrative, not the other way around. And Rentoul is even worse. A "visiting professor in contemporary history" AND a journalist. To those people I suggest "Get another job. Because you suck at this one."

Messages In This Thread
The Pejorative tag "conspiracy theorist" - by Martin White - 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is perception of "conspiracy theorists" changing? Interesting article Tom Bowden 2 3,654 21-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  "Conspiracy theory" - where did the term come from? David Guyatt 0 3,208 16-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Four Academic Studies: ‘Conspiracy Theorists’ Sane, Government Dupes Crazy and Hostile Marlene Zenker 2 3,612 14-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Search Engine to Warn People About Visiting Sites That Contain Conspiracy Theories? Ed Jewett 4 4,199 26-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  "The Conspiracy Theory Detector" / Michael Shermer James H. Fetzer 2 3,675 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Last Post: James H. Fetzer
  "Dangerous Conspiracy Theories" by Peter Chamberlin Ed Jewett 0 3,277 29-07-2010, 11:31 PM
  Confirmed Plagiarist Gerald Posner – Claims He is the Victim of a ‘Conspiracy’ Magda Hassan 7 6,413 09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
  The Guardian discovers film tampering in high level conspiracy Paul Rigby 2 4,775 20-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin