Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists can read your dreams with 60% accuracy
This is scary. Reading dreams is, to my mind, simply a prelude to seeding dreams... messing with the unconscious.

The idea is quite old, in fact. Back in the days of David Koresh, the FBI deployed a machine, drawn from Russian mind control technology, that read Koresh's mind.

Scientists can read your dreams with 60% accuracy

Ever had that feeling when you've woken up after a sleep but can't remember what you were dreaming about? Findings from a new study, published this week, suggest that technology could soon make that scenario a thing of the past.
Scientists in Kyoto, Japan, have built a dream-reading' machine that has been able to loosely predict the images that sleeping subjects have seen with an initial 60 percent accuracy rate.
The study published in Science, and first spotted by Smithsonian Magazine uses the combination of an MRI machine, computer modeling and images from across the Web to try to decode visual imagery during sleep.

The researchers say that their success lies in the discovery of the link between human fMRI patterns a method of measuring brain activity using blood flow and verbal reports with image databases.
Subjects were monitored while awake and asleep and, thanks to feedback from dreams, rough images were associated with specific brain activity. From there, a basic correlation of images and brain activity was established as the base with which to predict what a dreamer would see in their slumber.
In essence, the research suggests that our brains function using patterns that can be predicted, making it more possible to match them to images.
Report authors T. Horikawa, M. Tamaki, Y. Miyawaki and Y. Kamitani explain the significance.
"Our findings demonstrate that specific visual experience during sleep is represented by brain activity patterns shared by stimulus perception, providing a means to uncover subjective contents of dreaming using objective neural measurement."
The latest efforts follow one of the researchers' previous breakthroughs (from 2005) which correctly identified which direction a subject was looking, based on fMRI patterns. The latest efforts took that a stage further, and also used the measurements to identify stages of sleep usingan electroencephalography machine that measures electrical activity in the brain.
The Japanese scientists are confident that their breakthrough could help scientists improve the levels of understanding and potential to explore dreams in greater detail. There may be some time to go before we can look back on our forgotten dreams, but this is certainly an exciting step forward.
This video from Smithsonian provides more color:
[video]<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?height=323&width=575&video_pcode=VmM2U6c cX_RqI0rIzEgAxHoRsgRL&deepLinkEmbedCode=pidzBwYTqR m0TgHGeH9AO-PPHy3n0C1q&embedCode=pidzBwYTqRm0TgHGeH9AO-PPHy3n0C1q"></script>[/video]

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
My sense is that this Japanese study has been hyped.

It's not actually analysing dream imagery. It's analysing hypnagogic hallucinations - which are the strange, interim stage of consciousness between being awake and asleep.

The subjects were in an fMRI machine, which is so noisy that none of them entered sleep. However, they did enter the fugue "drifting off" stage in which hypnagogic hallucinations take place.

Also, whilst the study could show some limited correlation between specific brain activity and generic imagery - eg area x of the brain lights up and the subject is dreaming of a house - the house itself was generic. There was no ability to discern whether it was your family home, a house from a movie, a stranger's house where you were once frightened etc.

However, I entirely agree with you about the Waco and other pre-history of this area of science. Much of this research is undoubtedly covert.

Quote:U.S. President Barack Obama last week announced the BRAIN Initiative, which will spend $100 million to map the interactions between brain cells and neurological circuits. The campaign, starting next year, may lead to new treatments for some of the most common brain disorders led by Alzheimer's, epilepsy and brain injuries, Obama said April 2.

Lots of taxpayer cash and research grants sloshing around.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
It's that "strange interim stage of consciousness between being awake and asleep", that worries me Jan. This is precisely where conscious access to the Unconscious takes place.

The house in a dream is a wonderful image of unconscious realms. If the house is shadowy and unknown, then it may well be because it represents parts of yourself that remains unknown or unexplored and the dream is telling you that it is time to explore it. If it is a house well known, perhaps from childhood, it would suggest that juvenile aspects of the personality still have to be dealt with - consciously integrated. Each house, no matter what manner or style of its dream manifestation, carries a meaning important for the growth of the dreamer.

The thing about the unconscious in dreams is that it is compensatory -- always seeking ways to achieve balance.

If dream images can, at some point in the future, be inserted - by outside forces - in to a persons psyche in the process of preparing to dream, thereby meddling with the compensatory process, the consequences for psychological harm are simply unthinkable. If done on a large scale. were it ever to be achievable (and I pray it never is), a limited nuclear war would be preferable.

That is my view anyway.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
David Guyatt Wrote:It's that "strange interim stage of consciousness between being awake and asleep", that worries me Jan. This is precisely where conscious access to the Unconscious takes place.

Yup.

Indeed the deep black doctors have focused extensively on dissociative states.

See the few traces that survive of Jolly West's 1956 MK-ULTRA research project below:

Jan Klimkowski Wrote:The issue with the False Memory Syndrome Foundation is not whether some memories are "false". Of course some memories do not represent a true, or entirely accurate, account of past events.

The issue is rather that the FMSF was set up in 1992, precisely when many victims of covert "mind control" programmes such as MK-ULTRA were remembering horrible experiments that had been perpetrated on them - often as children.

The scientists involved in these covert "mind control" programmes knew the principles of creating dissociative states and false memories through narco-hypnosis. They also had access to the raw materials - chemical and human - needed.

It's important to state, on the historical record, that much of the focus of Bluebird/Artichoke/MK-ULTRA research was directed towards the creation of dissociative states in order to be able to manipulate them (for whatever precise purposes an operation demanded).

For instance, Dr Louis Jolyon West was the Top Secret Contractor for MK-ULTRA Sub-project 43: "Studies of dissociated states" (1956).

The first page is stamped: "WARNING NOTICE: SENSITIVE INTELLIGENCE SOURCES AND METHODS INVOLVED". The first page includes the following words written by West:

Quote:"The literature concerning clinical entities ordinarily considered to constitute the dissociative reactions is fairly well limited to case-studies of patients with fugues, amnesia, somnambulisms, and multiple personalities.

"Unpublished studies by the writer have led him to a greatly expanded concept of dissociation. Dissociative phenomena are found in everyday life. Such manifestations include "highway hypnosis", states of "fascination" in flyers, hypnagogic and phantasy hallucinations, transient anaesthesias, and many other examples. These reactions have many features in common with a variety of clinical disorders including "sleep paralysis", trance states, Gilles de la Tourette's disease, latah, "Arctic hysteria", and a number of other disturbances in addition to the well-known dissociative reactions of the text-books.

"There is considerable experimental evidence pointing to the significant role played by dissociative mechanisms in the production of the various phenomena of hypnosis. In fact, hypnosis may be considered a pure-culture, laboratory controlled dissociative reaction. Of the entire phenomenology of the various states described above, there is not one single manifestation which cannot be produced experimentally in the hypnotic subject. Thus, through the use of hypnosis as a laboratory device, the dissociative mechanisms can be studied with a high degree of objectivity."
(quoted on p107, Ross, "The CIA Doctors")

One can guess at what MK-ULTRA doctor, West, is referring to by his "unpublished studies". It is also revealing that West states emphatically, in 1956, that "of the entire phenomenology of the various states described above, there is not one single manifestation which cannot be produced experimentally in the hypnotic subject".

And the author of this TOP SECRET memo about MK-ULTRA research that he has conducted on humans is the very same Louis Jolyon West who became a key member of the board of the False Memory Syndrome Foundation in 1992.

Check out the link I provided in the first post in this thread listing the background of key FMSF board members.

West's background was not a mistake, or an anamoly. It was the norm for the psyop known as the False Memory Syndrome Foundation.

Also, dementia and schizophrenia research was the cover story for the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry research in the 1930s-40s which was eugenically inspired and funded, and fed directly into Ewen Cameron and MK-ULTRA's depatterning.

See here for starters.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."

The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Dr. Louis Jolyon West's observation that:

Quote:These reactions have many features in common with a variety of clinical disorders including "sleep paralysis", trance states,

I can imagine that a great many Tibetan monks - amongst numerous others from around the world - would find the definition of a trance state to be a clinical disorder, to be a curious and inaccurate description, when considered against the extremely arduous meditational training undertaken by them to consciously reach such a state.

I would add that I think that a deep trance state can occur whilst still in full control of one's faculties. The latter are just put on a sort of temporary peg parked off to one side, I believe, while the controlling mind almost fully participates in a different dimensional experience that, it is said, can be quite as real and beguiling as our own breathing material being's involvement in the here and now.

For me it demonstrates a doctors understanding of matters that he doesn't really comprehend and certainly hasn't experienced himself. Rather like a Martian who, from afar, attempts to describe to other Martians the taste of an earthlings McDonald's burger, where his native language doesn't contain the words "shit" and "awful".

I have to say that, along with millions of others, I have experienced sleep paralysis periodically. It's always very interesting. To say the least.

I think perhaps, I should apologize to Jan for my foregoing contributions because properly they belongs in the Alchemy folder rather than here in the Science folder. One day the two subjects should be close friends, rather than mutual
misunderstandings. That time hasn't arrived yet, although we see the spychiatrists are making considerable progress. For all the wrong reasons, sadly. In other words, purely for control and commerce.
Jolly West observes that:

"In fact, hypnosis may be considered a pure-culture, laboratory controlled dissociative reaction. Of the entire phenomenology of the various states described above, there is not one single manifestation which cannot be produced experimentally in the hypnotic subject. Thus, through the use of hypnosis as a laboratory device, the dissociative mechanisms can be studied with a high degree of objectivity."

This is incredibly revealing.

David is correct that West did not know what he was dealing with.

However, West's claim that he could reproduce all these types of dissociative states in the MK-ULTRA laboratory, and that hypnosis is a "pure-culture, laboratory controlled dissociative reaction" is truly sinister.

Exhibit 1: Luis Angel Castillo

Exhibit 2: Sirhan Sirhan

Jan Klimkowski Wrote:Jolly West observes that:

"In fact, hypnosis may be considered a pure-culture, laboratory controlled dissociative reaction. Of the entire phenomenology of the various states described above, there is not one single manifestation which cannot be produced experimentally in the hypnotic subject. Thus, through the use of hypnosis as a laboratory device, the dissociative mechanisms can be studied with a high degree of objectivity."

This is incredibly revealing.

David is correct that West did not know what he was dealing with.

However, West's claim that he could reproduce all these types of dissociative states in the MK-ULTRA laboratory, and that hypnosis is a "pure-culture, laboratory controlled dissociative reaction" is truly sinister.

Exhibit 1: Luis Angel Castillo

Exhibit 2: Sirhan Sirhan

I agree Jan, it is truly sinister. Horrifying, in fact. I'm now off to post something about "Active Imagination" in the alchemy folder and will link it back here.
Indeed terrifying. I, like Jan, suspect there is some hype here. That said they are always way more advanced in these matters than they report.
I remember as a child feeling the most horror -invoking scenerio would be if other's could read my mind.
Since we know that many minds can be controlled that is the flip side.
Equally scary. Sirhan is probably the most famous example who comes to mind, but he's in a large group these days.
I think most of the so called "terrorosts" , like the Christmas Day "underwear bomber" and the shooters since him are all hapless programmed
MK victims. Erick and I were discussing, inter alia, the Ct. school shooting last night and the idea that his mother was probably MI and that is why she had such a vast amount
of weaponry, easily accessable to her son, who was/is at the very least drugged out on psych meds and probably Jolly West's kind of "therapy".
I have long been interested in hypnosis. I have tried twice to be hypnotized (for medical reasons- insomnia) and neither was successful. It was funny hearing the quack tell me I was now asleep.
Not even close. And I wanted this to work. So I have concluded that I am lucky that I can't be put into such a state.

Our thoughts and dreams are the last frontier of privacy.

Orwell was more correct than even he could have envisioned.

Dawn
Quote:It's that "strange interim stage of consciousness between being awake and asleep", that worries me Jan. This is precisely where conscious access to the Unconscious takes place.

Yeah,I hate that space....blood and death is all I ever see.....A few bong hits at night does wonders.....:canabis:
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
David Guyatt Wrote:The thing about the unconscious in dreams is that it is compensatory -- always seeking ways to achieve balance.

If dream images can, at some point in the future, be inserted - by outside forces - in to a persons psyche in the process of preparing to dream, thereby meddling with the compensatory process, the consequences for psychological harm are simply unthinkable. If done on a large scale. were it ever to be achievable (and I pray it never is), a limited nuclear war would be preferable.

That is my view anyway.

I'm pretty sure they already are. Of a sort. We can do this for ourselves using various techniques commercially available, subliminal CD's, binaural input, brainwave altering sounds etc to achieve certain desired results such as improved memory, deeper sleep, learn a language etc. Which I realize is quite different to some one else inserting them. But who knows what is really on those subliminal tracks apart from the producer? And what is tv and radio advertising and programming (what an appropriate word that is) if not a means of inserting dreams by outside forces to buy certain products or conform in desired ways. When we are spaced out watching tv or listening to the radio in the car we are in an altered state of consciousness just like in hypnosis. Direct access to the subconsciousness. And repeated over and over again with boppy rhythms and soothing voices. Sometimes over years.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Texas scientists to release study linking drilling/fracking to Texas earthquakes Drew Phipps 4 8,114 19-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Scientists Tested Sulfuric Acid on Prisoners; Plutonium too....secretly Peter Lemkin 0 3,301 22-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  How typeface influences the way we read and think Magda Hassan 1 2,612 15-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Albert Rossi
  National Security Agency's 'Bumblehive' Facility to read our emails - over One Billion in Cost Adele Edisen 7 5,316 19-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Canadian Scientists Charged with Smuggling Dangerous and Highly Contagious Pathogens from China Magda Hassan 4 3,572 11-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Scientists have made a 'supercomputer' quantum Magda Hassan 0 3,026 25-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Big Brother, Apple and Google watchin' over you.....can almost read what your reading. Peter Lemkin 2 3,747 13-06-2012, 04:58 PM
  Canadian government is 'muzzling its scientists' Magda Hassan 1 3,083 18-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Harry Dean
  Your cat may actually be making you crazy!....read on. Peter Lemkin 10 7,127 11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
  scientists confirm discovery of rocks that fell to Earth from Mars Bernice Moore 0 2,184 19-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore