Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citizen of the world' Garry Davis issued passports to Assange and Snowden dies.

Citizen of the world' Garry Davis issued passports to Assange and Snowden

Garry Davis renounced his American citizenship

Tuesday, 30 July, 2013 [Updated: 10:58AM]

Garry Davis 1921-2013

• [Image: gdavis.jpg?itok=wtIWdP0I]

Garry Davis

On May 25, 1948, a former US Army flier entered the US embassy in Paris, renounced his American citizenship and, as astonished officials looked on, declared himself a citizen of the world.
In the decades that followed, until the end of his long life last week, he remained by choice a stateless man - entering, leaving, being regularly expelled from and frequently arrested in a spate of countries, carrying a passport of his own devising, as the international news media chronicled his every move.
His rationale was simple, his aim immense: If there were no nation-states, he believed, there would be no wars.
Garry Davis, a longtime peace advocate, former Broadway song-and-dance man and self-declared World Citizen No 1, who is widely regarded as the dean of the One World movement, a quest to erase national boundaries that today has nearly one million adherents worldwide, died last Wednesday in Williston, Vermont. He was 91. Though in recent years he had largely ceased his wanderings and settled in South Burlington, Vermont, he continued to occupy the singular limbo between citizen and alien that he had cheerfully inhabited for 65 years.
"I am not a man without a country," Davis told Newsweek in 1978, "merely a man without nationality."
I am not a man without a country, merely a man without nationality
The quest for a unified earth was an objective on which Davis had trained his sights very early. It was born of his discomfort with a childhood of great privilege - his father, Meyer Davis, was a renowned society orchestra leader known as the "millionaire maestro" - his grief at the loss of a brother in the second world war and his horror at his own wartime experience as a bomber pilot.
"Ever since my first [bombing] mission over Brandenburg [Germany], I had felt pangs of conscience," Davis wrote in a 1961 memoir, The World Is My Country. "How many bombs had I dropped? How many men, women and children had I murdered? Wasn't there another way, I kept asking myself."
The other way, he came to believe, was to eradicate conflict by eradicating borders. In November 1948, six months after renouncing his citizenship in Paris, Davis stormed a session of the UN General Assembly there.
"We, the people, want the peace which only a world government can give," he proclaimed. "The sovereign states you represent divide us and lead us to the abyss of total war."
In 1949, Davis founded the International Registry of World Citizens and was soon inundated with requests to join from around the globe.
Today, more than 950,000 people are registered world citizens, according to the World Service Authority, based in Washington.
In 1953, he founded the World Government of World Citizens. The demand for its documents proved so brisk that he established the service authority the next year.
More than half a million world passports have been issued, though there are no statistics on the number of people who have successfully crossed borders with them. Half a dozen countries - Burkina Faso, Ecuador, Mauritania, Tanzania, Togo and Zambia - have formally recognised the passport.
In old age, Davis was far from idle. Last year, he had a world passport delivered to Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, who has been holed up in the Ecuadorean embassy in London.
Just weeks before he died, Davis had a world passport sent, via Russian authorities, to Edward Snowden, the fugitive former national security contractor accused of violating espionage laws, whose US passport was revoked in June. Snowden was not available for comment.
The New York Times
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Another sad loss, and life very well lived - a shining example to others of what one person can do to begin to change the World!
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Snowden dead at 33? Lauren Johnson 5 36,919 07-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Hedy Epstein, Holocaust Survivor and American Political Activist Dies at 91. Peter Lemkin 3 27,429 30-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  William Schaap [Covert Action Information Bulletin] Dies Peter Lemkin 1 11,520 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Edward Snowden Christmas Message Magda Hassan 2 3,266 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM
  US Is Launching A Giant, World-Sucking Octopus Into Space Magda Hassan 6 5,688 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
  Vasili Arkhipov - the man who saved the world David Guyatt 2 3,747 29-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Ray Manzarek Dies Albert Doyle 0 2,451 22-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Elderly man ; Brooklyn; spent decades;pen pal to world leaders as diverse and unlikely as JFK, Ayato Bernice Moore 0 2,331 10-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Heretic Productions present: Zen Gardner's "World War 3 A Foregone Conclusion? Ed Jewett 0 2,403 04-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  protect your credit cards and passports . Bernice Moore 0 2,161 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore