Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentagon experiments with with electric shocks to keep drone pilots awake
I know they'd prefer robot drone operators, none of that messy unreliable human stuff, but until then this is what they are trying out

Quote:

Pentagon experiments with with electric shocks to keep drone pilots awake

[Image: RTX16M15.jpg]

Electrical transcranial stimulation uses the same method as electroshock therapy but at far lower currents to improve attention

James Vincent [Image: plus.png]

Friday 21 February 2014

Print
A A A

It sounds like a satirical summary of life in the digital age, but the US Army is having trouble keeping its drone pilots awake and is turning to electric shocks to solve the issue.

Researchers from the Air Force have been experimenting with "noninvasive brain stimulation" - running light doses of electrical currents through specific regions of the brain in order to improve alertness in the growing number of soldiers who spend hours monitoring surveillance footage from drones and other sources.
The Boston Globe reports that project officials are currently experimenting with a pair of stick-on electrodes that could become "standard issue for some military personnel", although research is still at an early stage.
In one test conducted at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base subjects were kept awake for 30 hours and dosed with either caffeine or electric stimulation, with a control group given nothing. Those who received the electrical stimulation reported feeling "refreshed" and performed roughly twice as well as those who were given nothing.
The electrical stimulation also compared favourably with the effects of caffeine, which "tanked" after a certain point. Subjects using the electrodes experience none of the side-affects associated with coffee and energy drinks including jitters, elevated heart rates and the post-caffeine "crash".
[Image: v2pg-19-drones-1-pone.jpg] Electrical stimulation is needed to pay attention to the repetitive footage generated by drones. Pictured, a Watchkeeper drone on display at RA F Waddington.
Although computers and digital technologies are playing an ever greater role in modern warfare, researchers have found that monitoring data streams can be so repetitive that soldiers' attention drops in as little as 20 minutes. Keeping the individuals tasked with making key decisions based on these surveillance streams is major concern.
"It used to be the people who would win the arm wrestling match would win the war," Alan Shaffer, the acting assistant secretary of defence for research and engineering, told the Globe. "In the future it is going to be who can process information most quickly and react to that. If you can't make sense of all the information coming in around you and get to a decision it has little value."
The research undertaken by the Pentagon is examining two different techniques: transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation. The first is more widely used and relies on a magnetic field to transfer the electrical current, while the second applies the current directly.
Transcranial direct current stimulation is essentially the same process used in electroshock therapy, but is far less powerful. In one test the subjects of the Pentagon research were given a single milliampere of current for ten minutes. By comparison it takes 150 milliamperes to power the dashboard on a car.
However, scientists are quick to stress the provisional nature of this research. No trials have been conducted into the long-term effects of transcranial direct current stimulation and the studies that have been completed are far from conclusive.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...44361.html
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
The explanation given doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me.

The obvious, if not to say, glaringly obvious solution is to just train up more drone pilots and have a shorter shift pattern for them if attention span is a problem?

I wonder if there is a secondary eclipsed agenda here? Not so much to do with attention but obedience?
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:The explanation given doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me.

The obvious, if not to say, glaringly obvious solution is to just train up more drone pilots and have a shorter shift pattern for them if attention span is a problem?

I wonder if there is a secondary eclipsed agenda here? Not so much to do with attention but obedience?
Yes I think so too. Some thing not quite right.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Strange....pilots have been given amphetamine-like chemicals since the Second World War. While I imagine they like to have the same person on the 'mission', rather than trade off to another and not know all that has happened and been seen/heard/followed before, I too sense this is another division doing experiments more to make a person a robot or monitor their emotions when killing than it is about sleep.....::dictator:::Confusedhock::
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China unveils anti-drone laser weapon David Guyatt 0 3,672 07-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Drone Wars David Guyatt 0 3,503 12-10-2014, 08:33 AM
  The new super-duper secret pilotless drone David Guyatt 7 4,297 16-06-2013, 08:04 AM
  Contaminated Nation - Inhunman Radiation Experiments Adele Edisen 6 4,901 16-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Psychiatrist Gerald D. Klee dies, involved in Army LSD experiments Adele Edisen 9 7,565 14-03-2013, 02:51 AM
  Putting Our Bodies on the Line to Stop Drone Warfare Adele Edisen 1 2,848 25-01-2013, 09:10 AM
  The Coming Drone Attack On America - ("1984" is Coming - AE) Adele Edisen 3 3,992 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  DARPA Director Quits Pentagon for Job at Google Ed Jewett 1 3,171 13-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Drone Swarms are Here: 1 Minute to Midnight? Lauren Johnson 0 2,280 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  U.S. Army Unveils 1.8 Gigapixel Camera Helicopter Drone Ed Jewett 0 2,348 17-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett