Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Navy deploys first ever rail gun
They say it is a game changer.

Does it work? Does it have a fatal flaw - can others combat it fairly easily.

And if it is effective as they say it is, why announce it now, I wonder?

Quote:US to deploy 'game changing' electromagnetic railgun that fires at seven times the speed of sound

[Image: railgun.jpg]

The railgun uses speed rather than explosives to destroy its targets and comes equipped with the menacing Latin motto 'I who am speed, eradicate'

JAMES VINCENT [Image: plus.png]

Wednesday 09 April 2014

The US Navy has announced plans to deploy its first ever electromagnetic railgun, a "game changing" device that fires projectiles without explosives over a distance of 100 miles and at seven times the speed of sound.

Railguns use an electromagnetic force known as the Lorentz Force to rapidly accelerate projectiles between a pair of conductive rails, firing them at a velocity greater than can be achieved by traditional guns and artillery.
This increased velocity means that projectiles do not need to have any explosive payload. Instead, the railgun simply fires a solid lump of metal, relying on the speed of its impact to transfer massive amounts of heat and kinetic energy to the target.
The Navy has said that weapon represents "the future of naval combat" with current prototypes capable of punching through the hull of ship "like a freight train" due to be installed and tested on ships by 2016.
"The American public has never seen it," said Rear Admiral Matthew Klunder, chief of naval research, in a telephone press conference.
[Image: v387c2.jpg]A still of the weapon test firing at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Jaunary 2008."Frankly, we think it might be the right time for them to know what we've been doing behind closed doors in a Star Wars fashion," he said. "It's now reality. It's not science fiction. It's real and you can look at it."
Because railguns do not require any explosive shells, the price of firing the weapon is massively reduced, with a 10kg projectile costing just $25,000 -1/100th the cost of a conventional missile.
"I really think it will give our adversaries a huge moment of pause to go, Do I even want to go engage a naval ship?' Because you are going to lose. You can throw anything at us, and the fact that we can shoot a number of these rounds at very affordable costs - it's my opinion that they don't win," said Klunder.
The technology for railguns was first proposed in the early 20 century but until now the cost of supplying the necessary electrical power has stopped the weapon from becoming practical.
The Navy has been developing the technology since 2005, with the team responsible adopting the latin motto of Velocitas Eradico', roughly translating as I who am speed, eradicates'.

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Another bit of Nazi technology.......wonder how long before they have a mini-version for use in crowd control!.....
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Navy Laser weapon David Guyatt 0 4,532 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  US Navy Yard Shooter claims controlled by Electromagnetic Waves? David Guyatt 2 3,710 28-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Jed Stuart
  Navy calling on gamers to help with security Ed Jewett 0 2,379 23-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett