Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim Dotcom offers reward for information proving US & NZ targeted him on behalf of Hollywood
Now this is interesting. He might have to offer more bunce, but I applaud his temerity. He is breaking the mould and 'Ollywood don't like it. For them a nicely stitched up world without outside competition is their "rake-it-in" business model - which lets face it is so out of touch with the technological world in which we now live.

Quote:Kim Dotcom offers £3m bounty in online piracy case

Megaupload founder in bid to prove US authorities aided by New Zealand illegally targeted him at behest of Hollywood studios
[Image: Kim-Dotcom-011.jpg]
Kim Dotcom is resisting extradition from New Zealand in one of the largest copyright infringement cases ever brought. Photograph: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Kim Dotcom is offering a $5m (£3m) "bounty" to whistleblowers for information to help fight an online piracy case brought by the US.
The Megaupload founder, who is resisting extradition from New Zealand, said he had to resort to offering the money because the deck was stacked against him in one of the largest copyright infringement cases ever brought.
"My case is unfair," the German national tweeted. "I was declined discovery, I didn't get my own data back, I need whistleblowers I am offering USD $5M."
Dotcom, whose Megaupload empire was shut down in January 2012, has long argued that US authorities, aided by close ally New Zealand, illegally targeted him at the behest of Hollywood studios.
He told technology news website TorrentFreak.com that the multimillion dollar offer was aimed at helping him prove that allegation.
"We are asking for information that proves unlawful or corrupt conduct by the US government, the New Zealand government, spy agencies, law enforcement and Hollywood," he said.
"It is the opinion of my legal team that disclosure of such information would be lawful. I would also guarantee any whistleblower coming forward would have the best legal representation at zero cost."
Dotcom's extradition hearing is scheduled to begin in Auckland on 7 July although it has already been delayed several times amid legal wrangling over evidence disclosure.
If the 40-year-old and his three co-accused are sent to the US they will face charges of racketeering, money-laundering and copyright theft carrying potential jail terms of 20 years.
Dotcom has launched a new venture called Mega while on bail.
The US justice department and FBI claim Megaupload and related sites netted more than $175 m in criminal proceeds, and cost copyright owners more than $500m by offering pirated copies of movies, TV shows and other content.
Major music labels and the film industry in the US have also filed lawsuits against the filesharing site.

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1997 North Hollywood Bank Shootout - Was it a black op? Rolf Zaeschmar 0 8,937 28-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Rolf Zaeschmar
  US Information Warfare at Work David Guyatt 0 3,025 19-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  BBC loses confidential information on secret British army unit David Guyatt 0 2,314 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Really Weird Information On Assassination of CIA-connected Nicholas Deak Peter Lemkin 2 4,043 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Government Dis-information Campaign Using Indymedia Exposed - Advocating Domestic Extremism - Cops Magda Hassan 2 2,702 26-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Jack White