Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Robin Williams
I don't want to be the person who breaks the news Robin Williams is dead in California.
I just heard it too. Very sad news. Depression is a terrible thing. He will be missed by many but must be almost unbearable for his children and family.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:I just heard it too. Very sad news. Depression is a terrible thing. He will be missed by many but must be almost unbearable for his children and family.

Depression is so misunderstood. Many think you can talk yourself out of it or pray your way out of it. It is tragic that he was not hospitalized and that the correct medication was not found. He had gone to rehab in July to prevent a relapse of his addictions, but depression is the flip side of this coin. He needed medical intervention.
He was the funniest guy I have ever seen yet his demons were too severe. :Sad:
Use of drugs and alcohol to excess is usually just an attempt to cope and cover up other underlying issues. Often anxiety and depression. Which are often seen as human flaws and personal failing rather than a biochemical medical condition. Then the regular over use of drugs and/or alcohol brings another whole world of pain on top of that. Being a human can be very hard some times.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
RIP, Robin, and thank you for all that you gave us.

There is no simple cure for depression. Medications sometimes work (for a while), and sometimes make people worse. They have lots of side effects, and people don't want to stay on them. For many, there is no "correct" medication - all of them are very dangerous, IMO. I had some experience with Paxil, and now that I'm off of it, I would never get on it again.

Depression can be partly chemical, partly psychological, mostly existential. It's part of the human condition and can't be irradicated by science.
At a Chicago based sports message board the great human and very talented Robin Williams was called "liberal scum". He is also being trashed by rightwing websites. Is being a sociopath a preresquite to being a 21st century "conservative?"
Kenneth Kapel Wrote:At a Chicago based sports message board the great human and very talented Robin Williams was called "liberal scum". He is also being trashed by rightwing websites. Is being a sociopath a preresquite to being a 21st century "conservative?"

Only to join the golf club.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
Kenneth Kapel Wrote:At a Chicago based sports message board the great human and very talented Robin Williams was called "liberal scum". He is also being trashed by rightwing websites. Is being a sociopath a preresquite to being a 21st century "conservative?"

Yep, pretty much.
The last time this level of political hatred was practiced so crudely was on the streets of Germany in the 1930's. FOX Americans have found the buzz of fascist politics and they like the ease and feel of it.
The problem with wielding hate and fear as a weapon, is that it so quickly turns on the wielder.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."