Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dark side of Dubai
A long but fascinating article on Dubai by Johann Hari in The Independent whose resulting status anywhere in the UAE is now likely to be very much persona-non-grata.

I found it a compelling read. The attitudes of the Emirati and the resident British ex-pats interviewed came as no surprise at all - utterly repulsive pur-blind self-righteous justifications of their privileged superiority over the hoi-polloi; similarly the other side of that same coin - the slave-like exploitation of, in ascending order of barbaric servitude, Philipino, Indian/Pakistani and Ethiopian workers and servants. A microcosm of Globalised 'free-trade' but with the indentured workforce in close (though largely hidden) proximity rather than a few thousand miles away.

As a microcosm of gross unsustainability it probably has no equal either, with per-capita oil/water usage and carbon footprint vastly greater than even the US. The desert beckons me thinks and I wonder what it will look like 20 years from now.
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Thanks for posting this Peter. I believe it was Dubai also which was recently the centre of a ' Boycott Dubai' campaign by a French Swiss family who had lived and worked there and whose son was kidnapped and raped by several people including a family 'friend'. They got little to no justice and the laws are always very bad with regards to rape in any case. http://www.boycottdubai.com/index_new_E.php With the eventual prosecution of some of the rapists the family decided to drop their case against the Dubai state.
http://amboytimes.typepad.com/the_amboy_...dubai.html

Dubai pretty much sounds like my idea of hell at the best of times and seems to be an actual hell for most of the slave class. Disgusting that it is permitted or that another state would have dealings with this and similar places.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NSA Spook-Turned-Twitter-Pundit Goes Dark After Dick Pic Surfaces Magda Hassan 3 4,860 25-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Sky Diver Films Meteor in 'Dark Flight" Charlie Prima 1 1,911 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt