Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sydney Hostage Siege Unfolding
Not much is known other than at least one gunman has taken hostages in a cafe in downtown Sydney - directly opposite a large TV station's offices [surely not an accident]. Whether a 'real' event or a false-flag one is too early to tell. The major media, on cue, have adopted this worldwide as the major news event....... It is important, but is certainly being used for its sensational nature. So far, no one has been hurt and there is some negotiation going on.

Sydney on Lockdown As Dramatic Siege Unfolds

Police are responding to a hostage situation in downtown Sydney.

By James West
| Sun Dec. 14, 2014 7:57 PM EST

[Image: untitled-1_2.jpg]
The heart of Sydney, Australia, is currently in lockdown, as a siege unfolds at a downtown cafe. Reporting is still fuzzy and ongoing, but here's what we know so far: Police are responding to a situation at the Lindt Cafe in Martin Place, a central plaza in the city surrounded by banks and law firms, and not far from the state parliament buildings and the Sydney Opera House.
The number of hostages taken have not been confirmed. Channel Seven, a TV station with studios and offices in Martin Place, is reporting police sources as saying there are 13 people being held. The number of hostage-takers has also not been confirmed.
Twitter users have posted images of people, apparently hostages, with their hands against the windows of the cafe and holding up a black flag with Arabic writing on it. Guardian Australia is reporting the flag reads, "There is no god but the God, Muhammad is the messenger of God." It is not the Islamic State flag. Large parts of the area have been cordoned off.
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, which has unlocked its live stream for an international audience, is providing rolling coverage. Channel Seven is also providing live coverage here.
The Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, has released a statement saying his government is convening an emergency session of the National Security Committee of Cabinet:
UPDATE: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 9 p.m. EST: The Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has addressed reporters in Australia's capital, Canberra. He didn't provide any further factual detail about the unfolding saga in Sydney. Notably, he did not outline potential reasons for the attack. "We don't yet know the motivation of the perpetrator," he said, though he added that "obviously there are some indications" the attack could be political in nature. Abbott said the normal business of government would continue:
I can understand the concerns and anxieties of the Australian people at a time like this, but our thoughts and prayers must above all go out to the individuals who are caught up in this. I can think of almost nothing more distressing, more terrifying than to be caught up in such a situation and our hearts go out to these people.
UPDATE 2: Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:15 a.m. EST: It appears that at least three hostages have gotten free, though whether they escaped or were released is not yet clear.
As things unfold, we've compiled a list of sources on Twitter to follow. Find it here.

"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
ABC News 24 have dropped their geo blocking. The Guardian Australia has a good live blog. http://www.theguardian.com/australia-new...-cafe-live

They're talking about hi
m being a lone wolf....
Looks late 40s early 50s.
5 hostages ha
ve escaped 3 customers and 2 cafe staff. Highly stressed. Unclear if they were released or escaped.
Right now
meals are being made for the by the cafe staff.
Demands are unclear. He brought a flag and
made 2 women hold it up for 2 hours in the window. But it is not the IS flag. He has asked for an IS flag to be brought to him. A very disorganized terrorist not to bring is own. Has a gun according to one witness. And wants the PM to be brought to him. Don't think he will be coming .
One member of anti Muslim Australian Defence Front came to rant about Muslims and halal and Islam. After some photo ops was sent on his way by police. City deserted as most businesses and all landmarks closed and were locked down. Traffic chaos. Right next to the US consulate , Reserve Bank on other side, NSW parliament house and Sydney Hospital around corner. State library too. Politician's offices in nearby buildings. Aross road from T station broadcasting lie in the mornings . Some truly appalling media coverage . Local Muslim community disgusted and afraid. Racist wing nuts abound.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Man arrested in terror raid in western Sydney

Updated about 4 hours agoMon 15 Dec 2014, 4:40am
MAP: Sydney 2000

A 25-year-old man has been arrested in Sydney's north-west in relation to terrorism offences.
Australian Federal Police (AFP) said the Beecroft man was arrested by the joint counter-terrorism team as part of investigations into the planning of a terrorist attack on Australian soil and the facilitation of travel of Australian citizens to Syria.
New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said there was no suggestion the incident was connected to the hostage situation in Sydney's Martin Place.
"No, at this stage there is no connection," he said.
The AFP was expected to provide more details later.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
They are saying this is not elated but who knows for sure. There have been a large number of raids and hundreds of people arrested all over Australia in recent weeks and months. There was talk about some of those arrested involved in a plot to behead innocent people in the middle of the CBD.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
There's been rather a lot of terrorist events in Oz in recent months hasn't there; including a planned attack on Parliament etc.

Suspicious to my mind.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
The only thing I can say positively for the Police in Sydney is they haven't stormed the place yet - as I'm sure American Police would already have....they are at least trying to negotiate - something the US Police stopped doing long ago. Abbott thinks it might be politically motivated....nah....the man didn't like the way they made his latte!
Hostage taker has turned off all the lights in the cafe.Police have set up nearby bunkers with chairs and supplies so it look like nothing is happening any time soon. All hunkering down for the night.

Magda Hassan Wrote:Hostage taker has turned off all the lights in the cafe.Police have set up nearby bunkers with chairs and supplies so it look like nothing is happening any time soon. All hunkering down for the night.

Hostage taker is going to get rather sleepy and tired [coffee will help only so far...] unless he has others there with him - which it so far doesn't seem.
Yes, but there are baristas and coffee everywhere in that cafe. He'll be buzzing for weeks to come and unable to sleep. If he does get sleepy enough there is a chance the hostages could try to do something but they'll be tired and emotional too plus there is some speculation apart from being armed with a weapon he has explosives. None of us know who the hostages are anyway. Could be all frail dowager ladies not up for a physical struggle. The top floor has been evacuated so they could use gas like they did in Moscow. Hopefully with better results.

A friend from work wrote me this afternoon - "False flag? Abbott tanking, govt seeming without direction..." This hostage drama is occurring just days after what many local media outlets had reported as the government's 'worst week' since the election, so the timing does make one wonder.