Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Budget?
Any comments and feedback on the UK budget? The papers I am seeing are screaming 'Return of the Class War' and 'Return of Old Labor' etc. Most alarming to see that Britain's debt will amount to 79% of GDP in 2013-2014!!! I somehow doubt that 'New' Labor is gone and that a great political consciousness for the needs of the masses has taken over.

And debt to whom exactly? Who owns the 79% of GDP?
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
The mid-wealthy 1% are up in arms that they are being taxed an additional 10%, hence the headlines. The problem is that the bank heist is supposed to be paid by the low and average paid workforce. That's what they're there for.

The truly wealthy are, obviously, protected and by various clever tax loopholes to insulate them from picking up the tab.

On your last quest Magda, If anyone ca truly unpick the who owes to whom debt riddle they'll be doing a grand job. The UK owes debt to other nation, but those other nations also owes debts to the UK.... and other nations too. It's a very cuddly arrangement I think, and one that even Gandalf wouldbe hard pressed to unravel without his wizard's staff functioning on full power.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Some Alexander needs to slash this Gordian knot of debt and be done with it all.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Some Alexander needs to slash this Gordian knot of debt and be done with it all.

Wish it were so. I used to think the Environmental Degradation was going to kill humanity. I now think it and the coming REAL Econmic collapse have equal chances. The synergistic effect of the two [and other little problems] will make the next few years interesting indeed. I can't say I'm happy to be living in these times......the 60s and 70s were more to my liking - as bad as things were there was 1] hope and 2] a movement. Now only despair about to get more desparate.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Magda Hassan Wrote:Any comments and feedback on the UK budget? The papers I am seeing are screaming 'Return of the Class War' and 'Return of Old Labor' etc.

Magda

Depressing isn't it? Another reason the top-rate tax hike is receiving so much attention is that the manifesto on which Labour fought the last election specifically stated that the top rate of tax would NOT be raised. That, together with the 'class-war' thing makes a powerful combination in the general politics as theatre and propaganda stakes.

I keep hearing that we will now suffer a 'brain-drain'. Bloody hilarious really; as if the guys in our overweight financial services industries earning in excess of £150K do so on merit and ability. Methinks they need to read Nassim Nicholas Taleb's 'Fooled by Randomness' which, if done honestly and with a truly open mind, is a rather humbling experience. Let them go I say. We have more than our share of parasitical bankers and other 'financial engineers'. In any event I think the world may be close to rumbling the entire 'financial services' scam so I doubt their particular skills and expertise (except in-so-far-as they know where the bodies are buried so-to-speak) will be much in demand elsewhere - for a while anyway.

As for the National Debt; what is there left to say except that it's obscene and will pauper the next two generations at least? - that is if we actually have another 50 years of the universally assumed 'Growth Paradigm' left, which I for one seriously doubt.
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Congress Could Fix Its Budget Woes, Permanently Adele Edisen 1 3,128 17-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Obama's budget will impoverish America Magda Hassan 1 4,515 16-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt