Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reason and the Separation from the Instinctual Unconscious
I'm currently reading one of my old Jungian's mentor's books (Anne Maguire - Skin Disease: A Message from the Soul) and came across the following:

Quote:Today, in society at large, there is a great and universal sickness of psyche. Although the initial beginnings are partially obscured, the first great and frightening shudder became apparent in Europe in the French Revolution. It was during this time that the goddess of Reason was deified in the cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. The rational intellect severed its connections with the instinctual unconscious, and its ascent began then.

This psychic illness has continued to proliferate with devastating momentum, like a vast fulminating malignancy. It now presents itself, two centuries later in the shadows caused by nuclear dust, with every type of savagery, combined with a world crisis of loss of moral conscience, to the astounded and incredulous gaze of the world.

I don't know what others here think, but this struck me as being a quite profound observation.

And just for good orders sake, the implication is not that Reason should be abandoned, but that it should operate in harmony and in conjunction with the instinctual unconscious. The flavour of Jung's work was all about working towards becoming whole rather than becoming ever more fragmented.

(She was a Consultant Dermatologist before becoming a Jungian Analyst btw - hence the dermatological nature of the book).
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Holy Grail of the Unconscious Ed Jewett 0 3,503 20-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett