Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11/22/63: Stephen King and JJ Abrams Lay an Egg
A really, really poor production all the way around.

Even considering that its supposed to be based on a historical novel.

Pointless. dull, stupid and demeaning.

http://ctka.net/2016/review-stephen-king...n-egg.html
Fascinating concept, that is if it wasn't used for such a dubious and pathetic purpose. I guess King belongs in the same booby hamper as Tom Hanks.

What King should have done is changed the plot to preventing the CIA coup. A much more accurate and interesting story.
I wonder if King was inspired by this New Twilight Zone episode from the mid-80s? The actor who plays Kennedy here is Andy Robinson, who played the psycho killer in Dirty Harry.

What a mind-bender. Well done.

There's a minor flaw in passing-off the professor for JFK at the death scene.

But it still places the rifle in Oswald's hands...
That was as stupid as the King/Abrams mini series.

Also, the first Twilight Zone was rocket miles above the second.

Makes me want to swear off all sci fi for awhile.

Getting back to the King Abrams fiasco, its really more like a pulp fiction magazine novel.

Can the book be that bad? Like I wrote in my review, I did not read it.
There was a Rod Serling lecture at UCLA in 1966 or 1967 where he was asked about the JFK assassination, and he said he was reading a couple of the critical books, and was open to the possibility that the WC was wrong. I think it's on YouTube. Of course, Serling also wrote the screenplay for Seven Days in May.
I have heard that and its really interesting.

He comes off sounding like a real skeptic about the WC.
I read the book. I haven't seen the series. The one scene in the previews aired months ago of our hero James Franco running thru Dealy Plaza with his love interest didn't actually happen in the book.

As I believe I posted in the other DPF thread about this mini-series, the book isn't really about the Kennedy assassination. The hero has inherited a way to travel back in time to 1963 (which the previous user used merely to obtain an endless supply of cheap hamburger meat for his burger joint). He decides, at one point, that stopping the killing is a worthwhile goal. However, he falls in love with a 1963 woman, whose life he cannot save if he pursues Oswald. In the end, his repeated trips to the past, and attempts to change the past, threaten to destroy spacetime. The story is kind of a cross between Langoliers, The Butterfly Effect, Back to the Future, and the Warren Report.

It's no more a story about JFK than the rhetorical question "If you could go back in time and kill Hitler,...." is about Hitler. I find it a shame that people have used the opportunity to engage in renewed discussion about the actual event as an opportunity to push their pet theories, usually with some sort of commercial gain in mind, but I suppose that simply must be.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
The Twilight Zone was pretty good. JFK volunteers to die to save humanity. They got that part right. Only he didn't know the professor took his place in the limousine and sent JFK forward to the year 2172 to take his place because only the professor could go back and set Dealey Plaza right. Patched history corrected after being broken.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:That was as stupid as the King/Abrams mini series.

Also, the first Twilight Zone was rocket miles above the second.

Makes me want to swear off all sci fi for awhile.

Getting back to the King Abrams fiasco, its really more like a pulp fiction magazine novel.

Can the book be that bad? Like I wrote in my review, I did not read it.

The book is actually pretty good....IF you read it purely for the fun of reading fictional prose. But if you're looking for any "truth" in it, this excerpt from the book's afterword should tell you all you need to know:

"Probably the most useful source-materials I read in preparation for writing this novel were "Case Closed", by Gerald Posner; "Legend", by Edward Jay Epstein (nutty Robert Ludlum stuff, but fun); "Oswald's Tale," by Norman Mailer; and "Mrs. Paine's Garage," by Thomas Mallon. The latter offers a brilliant analysis of the conspiracy theorists and their need to find order in what was almost a random event."

The last sentence King stole directly from page 2 of the LN Book of Talking Points. As you can see from his "research material," the man truly had no chance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dick Gregory dies -- HR obit doesn't mention his important work on the JFK and King assassinations Joseph McBride 15 21,687 26-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Two Princes and a King Jim DiEugenio 1 2,533 07-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Stephen King's 11/22/63 on Hulu Jim DiEugenio 10 7,510 13-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  I'm Here to Kill a King Lauren Johnson 6 4,138 20-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Stephen King's Sources Don Jeffries 2 3,045 13-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Garrison, Larry King and RFK Jim DiEugenio 7 4,708 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The Last King of Ireland - NYTimes.com Bernice Moore 0 2,242 19-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Who Died and Made the Sixth Floor Museum the King of Dealey Plaza? Peter Lemkin 12 10,119 26-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Demme to shoot Stephen King's JFK novel Bernice Moore 0 2,451 12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  King Kennedy James DiEugenio Dawn Meredith 1 3,186 02-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Phil Dragoo