Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No reasonable expectation of privacy on your PC
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/06/fe...e-computer

Quote:In a dangerously flawed decision unsealed today, a federal district court in Virginia ruled that a criminal defendant has no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in his personal computer, located inside his home. According to the court, the federal government does not need a warrant to hack into an individual's computer.

Quote:The implications for the decision, if upheld, are staggering: law enforcement would be free to remotely search and seize information from your computer, without a warrant, without probable cause, or without any suspicion at all. To say the least, the decision is bad news for privacy. But it's also incorrect as a matter of law, and we expect there is little chance it would hold up on appeal. (It also was not the central component of the judge's decision, which also diminishes the likelihood that it will become reliable precedent.)

So exactly where can I reasonably expect privacy? ::fury::
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".
Yikes! And without a fully staffed Supreme Court, now the future of the Fourth Amendment is also at stake in the coming 2016 election. BTW the Supreme Court yesterday ruled 5-3 on whether or not to continue to allow states to make it a crime to refuse warrantless DWI breath tests. Justice Sotomayor warned in her dissent the 4th Amendment danger of this ruling. (Had Scalia still been alive, the issue would likely have been decided the same.)

So, for now, the future of electronic privacy in the US rests in the hands of the 4th Circuit federal Court of Appeals.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
I don't think they plan of giving us any privacy any where not just our computers. But really, your computer belongs to you the same way your look, wallet and jacket belong to you. Your operating system may belong to some one else who is only letting you borrow it on their terms and conditions but it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it. (Gnu/Linux is your choice for freedom and privacy) You can make it secure.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:I don't think they plan of giving us any privacy any where not just our computers. But really, your computer belongs to you the same way your look, wallet and jacket belong to you. Your operating system may belong to some one else who is only letting you borrow it on their terms and conditions but it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it. (Gnu/Linux is your choice for freedom and privacy) You can make it secure.

Well, yes....and no....No, when they come into your home and just take it away for 'analysis' and downloading. Sadly America is quickly becoming a full-blown Police State and most are not catching on despite the obvious signs and examples. In fact, there is very little of our rights left and all soon to be gone. They want even to be able to see and hear inside our homes [the technology exists for both] and to even see into our thoughts [the technology is being worked on and is partly workable at this time]. Very sad ruling in a very sad state Amerika.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FBI Quietly Changes Privacy Rules For Accessing NSA Data On Americans Magda Hassan 2 6,853 16-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Mark A. O'Blazney