Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK terror threat raised to 'severe', Home Secretary announces
Quote:UK terror threat raised to 'severe', Home Secretary announces

The UK's terror threat level has been raised from substantial to severe, Home Secretary Alan Johnson has announced.

By Andrew Hough, and Heidi Blake
Published: 8:37PM GMT 22 Jan 2010

The announcement means that an attack is now "highly likely".

Mr Johnson said that although the threat had increased there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was imminent.

The Home Secretary was not specific about the threat, but indicated it was not linked to the Detroit bombing on Christmas Day.

"The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre has today raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from substantial to severe,” he said.

"This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest than an attack is imminent.

"JTAC keeps the threat level under constant review and makes its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas."

He said that authorities were “not being specific about this, we are not gong to be specific about this”.

“In his statement to Parliament on security and counter terrorism earlier this week, the Prime Minister said that the first and most important duty of government is the protection and security of the British people,” he said.

“We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from international terrorism so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on reporting suspicious events to the appropriate authorities and to support the police and security services in their continuing efforts to discover, track and disrupt terrorist activity.

"We have a very focused counter terrorism facility in this country and the public should be reassured by that."

He added: The fact is we keep this under review and moving to this different threat level means we have to be more alert and it means that an attack has moved to the level of being likely, but we have absolutely no intelligence to suggest that it is imminent."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/t...unces.html

BOHICA time.

:bootyshake::bootyshake:
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Don't worry. All will be well and safe. They are looking after us.
http://www.deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/...#post15612
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Quote:This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest than an attack is imminent.
Absolutely Orwellian or Clockwork Orangian......

When I flew into the USA two summers ago, at Denver airport a synthetic and overly loud voice kept repeating "Security Condition Orange - Report Any Strange Looking Persons Or Unattended Luggage" We keep talking about 'what if'....that 'what if', quite a few years ago, became what is. :ciao: It DID happen HERE. :vroam:
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Apparently it's largely Blair's fault, as he's finally appearing at the so-called Iraq Inquiry later this week:

Quote:Blair will take his place amid intense security, with mass protests expected in Westminster. Sources close to Scotland Yard said Blair's appearance had been a major factor behind the government's decision to raise the terror threat level from "substantial" to "severe".

Intelligence operatives had picked up "domestic chatter" that had given them reason to believe his appearance before the inquiry required a higher state of alert. "We are gearing up for Blair," said the source."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/24...chael-wood
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:Apparently it's largely Blair's fault, as he's finally appearing at the so-called Iraq Inquiry later this week:

Quote:Blair will take his place amid intense security, with mass protests expected in Westminster. Sources close to Scotland Yard said Blair's appearance had been a major factor behind the government's decision to raise the terror threat level from "substantial" to "severe".

Intelligence operatives had picked up "domestic chatter" that had given them reason to believe his appearance before the inquiry required a higher state of alert. "We are gearing up for Blair," said the source."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/24...chael-wood

So, there really WILL BE a TERRORIST making his way right into the inquiry!! Will they let him go?....you can bet your *** they will.......
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Peter/Jan

The 'Stop the War Coalition' have a major event planned for Blair's appearance. I have mixed feeling about the organisation and its effectiveness (or lack of it). It's clearly shot through with SIS operatives. That said, it did put over a million people on the streets of London back in early 2003 and many of those involved are sincere and full of angry idealism so criticising them is probably a bit unfair.

Any way, here is their latest call to action for Blair's appearance:

Quote:1) THE PEOPLE'S VOICE ON BLAIR'S JUDGEMENT DAY

Writers, musicians, relatives of the dead, Iraqi refugees,
poets, human rights
lawyers, comedians, well known actors, MPs and ordinary
citizens are joining a day of protest, performance and
politics outside the Iraq Inquiry on Friday 29 January, as
Tony Blair faces his judgement day.

People who oppose Britain's foreign wars are coming from all
corners of the country. The verdict on Blair will affect
present and future wars. It needs to be made clear to the
world that people here regard him as a man guilty of taking
Britain into an illegal war.

The approximate timetable for Tony Blair's Judgement Day at
the QE2 Conference Centre, is as follows:

8.00: PROTEST STARTS AS BLAIR ARRIVES
A delegation including Iraqi citizens and grieving military
families take the People's Dossier of questions for Tony Blair
to Sir John Chilcot.

9.00-10.00: NAMING OF THE DEAD CEREMONY
When Blair's testimony begins, names of Iraqis killed in the
war will be read by novelist A.L Kennedy, Musician Brian Eno,
actor and director Sam West, actor and director Simon
McBurney, playwright David Edgar, Lancet editor Richard
Horton, former UK ambassador Craig Murray, Iraqi author Haifa
Zangana, comedian and author Alexei Sayle, actor Miriam
Margoyles, and more.

10.00-11.00: SPEECHES, READINGS AND PERFORMANCES
Including by many of those participating in the Naming the
Dead ceremony.

12.00-13.00: PERFORMANCE FROM LOWKEY, KING BLUES AND
OTHER MUSICIANS.

13.00-14.00: MILITARY FAMILIES NAMING OF THE DEAD
Members of military families who lost loved ones in the Iraq
war will read the names of all 179 British soldiers who died.

16.00: PROTEST AS TONY BLAIR LEAVES THE INQUIRY

Tony Blair's Judgement Day
Friday 29 January from 8.00am
Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre
Broad Sanctuary, London, SW1P 3EE
Nearest tube: Westminster
I have a sneaky feeling (and very much hope) it will get major support.

Tongue-in-cheek, Craig Murray (former UK ambassador to Uzbekistan) has this to say:

Quote:Options for Tony Blair 29 January - Tips From an Ex Senior Civil Servant

I very much doubt that Blair will enter the Iraq Inquiry via the front door. He can get in to the QE2 Conference Centre from the back by passing through the Institute of Mechanical Engineers building. That seems pretty likely. A strong detachment armed with buckets of blood should watch that route. Or he can arrive by an underground route using the spur to the QE2 conference centre from the old tunnel that connected Bomber Command (now known as The Citadel bunker) in Marsham St to the Cabinet Office and the MOD. As this tunnel network is an official secret I doubt they will want to risk him appearing mysteriously from nowhere, though.
Hound the B*****d I say - and keep on hounding him.
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
In my previous post I had meant to ask (somewhat rhetorically) 'just what IS the purpose of these 'terrorist attack risk level warnings anyway?

Since anyone with a modicum of intelligence can calculate that the odds of being harmed by a 'terrorist attack' are not much greater than that of winning the National Lottery Jackpot two weeks running, just how is our behaviour supposed to change with a 'raised warning level'?

Are we perhaps supposed to pay 10% more attention to bearded males carrying rucksacks - or maybe 22.5% more? - something like that?? And what about venturing out of the house when the odds of being killed on our roads are maybe 100,000 times more severe! - clearly we ought to be scared shitless about that.

Anyway in the interests of doing my bit in this charade, here is what MI5 have to say on the subject as of this morning:

Quote:Members of the public should always remain alert to the danger of terrorism and report any suspicious activity to the police on 999 or the anti-terrorist hotline: 0800 789 321. If your information does not relate to an imminent threat, you can also contact the Security Service via the How You Can Help us page.

[B]Current threat level[/B]

The current threat level is assessed as SEVERE (as of 22nd January 2010 - see threat level history for previous changes).
This means there is a strong possibility of future terrorist attacks and indicates a continuing high level of threat to the UK.
See The UK's threat level system for more information on what threat levels mean, who decides the level of threat and how the threat level system is used.
The Government continues to maintain a state of heightened readiness in response to the threat from international terrorism. It remains the Government's policy to issue warnings or advice if this ever became necessary to protect public safety in the event of a specific and credible terrorist threat.
[B]Source and form of the threat[/B]

The threat of international terrorism comes from a diverse range of sources, including Al Qaida and associated networks, and those who share Al Qaida's ideology but do not have direct contact with them. A threat could manifest itself from a lone individual or group, rather than a larger network. Domestic terrorism related to Northern Ireland, principally from dissident Irish Republican and Loyalist terrorist groups, also remains a threat.
The terrorist threat can take a number of forms, as terrorists may use a variety of methods of attack to achieve their objectives. These may include explosive devices, firearms, missiles, kidnapping, infiltration and electronic attacks. See the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI) (new window) website for practical advice on how to defend against these threats.
This page has been produced in consultation with the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC). It will be regularly reviewed and updated. Whilst every care has been taken in preparing this summary, the Security Service accepts no liability for any statement contained therein (see our Content Disclaimer).
BTW The MI5 site is a treasure -trove of startling information about 'International terrorism' that you would never have known - as in:
Quote:The US, UK and Israel, and their representatives overseas, remain the prime targets for international terrorist networks, particularly Al Qaida.

However, Usama bin Laden has variously identified a number of other countries as allies of the US which should also be targeted.
Note the spelling of bin Laden's uh Christian name - trendy stuff eh?

It really does remind me of a patronising adult explaining all about Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy to an anxious 5 year old.

I'm sure they'll be ever so grateful for the link.
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
TERRORIST THREAT / LEVELS :-

Reports indicate that the English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and have raised their security level from 'Miffed' to 'Peeved'. Soon, though security levels may be raised yet again to 'Irritated' or even 'A Bit Cross'. Londoners have not been 'A Bit Cross' since 'the blitz' in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from 'Tiresome' to a 'Bit of a Nuisance.' The last time the British issued a 'Bit of a Nuisance' warning level was during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from 'Run' to 'Hide.' The only two higher levels in France are 'Surrender' and 'Collaborate.' The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert: Italy has increased the alert level from ' Shout Loudly and Excitedly' to 'Elaborate Military Posturing.' Two more levels remain: 'Ineffective Combat Operations' and 'Change Sides.'

The Germans also increased their alert state from 'Disdainful Arrogance' to 'Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.' They also have two higher levels: 'Invade a Neighbour' and 'Lose.'

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual, and the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Bloody Hell Magda!!!!

That produced yet another 'coffee expelled all over the keyboard' episode (the last one was something from Ed J as I recall)

A real tonic - as in 'since you can do bugger all else about their ridiculous patronising crap then laugh at them - and make sure they know you're laughing.

Where did you get it?

Deserves wider exposure methinks.
Peter Presland

Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Ah, yes, we had to recently replace one of our keyboards too. Well, it was sent to me by email from a dear friend some years ago, when all this bs started. I kept it because I knew it would be an evergreen. Do feel free to spread it around :pcguru: It does need to have a wider audience to counter the latest 'threat level' :marchmellow:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surprising facts about the 'war on terror' Magda Hassan 0 2,657 04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  UK must defend against North Korea's nuclear threat, says PM Danny Jarman 6 4,765 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Obama's nominations for Defense Secretary Magda Hassan 1 2,935 22-12-2012, 10:44 AM
  'Defence' Secretary urges Germany and Japan to take part in more war Danny Jarman 1 3,565 03-05-2012, 04:23 AM
  Iran 'Directed' Washington, D.C., Terror Plot, U.S. Says Lauren Johnson 39 25,203 01-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  How real is the "surgical explosive" threat? Bernice Moore 1 2,543 13-07-2011, 03:16 AM
  Revealed: Afghan chief accused of campaign of terror is on US payroll Magda Hassan 1 2,521 18-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  New Film examining the M.I. complex and the War on Terror Louise Almond 0 3,705 17-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Louise Almond
  Simon Jenkins on the British parasites of privatised terror Paul Rigby 1 2,547 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  NYPD Holds Drill to Prep For Mumbai-Style Attack --NYC Terror Exercise Commando Assault on Wall St. Ed Jewett 2 3,122 15-10-2010, 08:44 PM