Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
um, er, ah ... wait, I've run out of ink?
MI6 'used bodily fluids as invisible ink' 21 Sep 2010 British intelligence services experimented with using semen as an invisible ink to write top-secret letters, it has been disclosed. A diary entry belonging to a senior member of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) has revealed that during the First World War it was discovered that the bodily fluid could act as an effective invisible ink. In June 1915, Walter Kirke, deputy head of military intelligence at GHQ France, wrote in his diary that Mansfield Cumming, the first chief (or C) of the SIS was "making enquiries for invisible inks at the London University".
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
I've long thought they were a bunch of wankers.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Mansfield Cumming???
I'd assume so, otherwise he is going to run out of ink.
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
Magda Hassan Wrote:I've long thought they were a bunch of wankers.

Charles Drago Wrote:Mansfield Cumming???

Ed Jewett Wrote:I'd assume so, otherwise he is going to run out of ink.

No more need be uttered... :knuddel:
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Honestly! They can't seriously expect us to swallow this?
Charles Drago Wrote:Mansfield Cumming???

[Image: Mansfield_cumming.jpg]

Captain Sir George Mansfield Smith-Cumming KCMG, CB (1 April 1859 – 14 June 1923) was the first director of what would become the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), also known as MI6. In this role he was particularly successful in building a post-imperial intelligence service.

Born Mansfield George Smith on April 1, 1859 in British India, the youngest in the family of five sons and eight daughters of Colonel John Thomas Smith (1805–1882) of the Royal Engineers, of Föellalt House, Kent, and his wife, Maria Sarah Tyser.... In 1885 Cumming married Dora, daughter of Henry Cloete of Great Constantia, Cape Colony. After her death he married, on 13 March 1889, a Scottish heiress, Leslie Marian (May), daughter of Captain Lockhart Muir Valiant (afterwards Cumming), of the 1st Bombay lancers and Logie, Moray. As part of the marriage settlement he changed his surname to Smith-Cumming, later becoming known as Cumming. Their only son, Alastair, a dangerous driver like his father, was killed in October 1914, driving Cumming's Rolls in France. Cumming himself lost the lower part of his right leg in the same accident..... Over the next few years he became known as 'C', after his habit of initialing papers he had read with a C written in green ink[1]. This habit became a custom for later directors, although the C now stands for "Chief". Ian Fleming took these aspects for his "M", Sir Miles Messervy - using Cumming's other initial for the name and having M always write in green ink.

In 1914, he was involved in a serious road accident in France, in which his son was killed. Legend has it that in order to escape the car wreck he was forced to amputate his leg using a pen knife. Hospital records have shown however that while both his legs were broken, his left foot was only amputated the day after the accident. Later he often told all sorts of fantastic stories as to how he lost his leg, and would shock people by interrupting meetings in his office by suddenly stabbing his artificial leg with a knife, letter opener or fountain pen[1]......

When SSB discovered that semen made a good invisible ink his agents adopted the motto "Every man his own stylo".[2]

To the end of his life Cumming retained an infectious, if sometimes eccentric, enthusiasm for the tradecraft and mystification of espionage, experimenting personally with disguises, mechanical gadgets, and secret inks in his own laboratory.
He also had a fascination with most forms of transport, driving his Rolls at high speed around the streets of London. In his early fifties he took up flying, gaining both French aviators' and Royal Aero Club certificates. But his main passion was boating in Southampton Water and other waters calmer than those which had ended his active service career. In addition to owning ‘any number’ of yachts, Cumming acquired six motor boats. In 1905 he became one of the founders and first rear-commodore of the Royal Motor Yacht Club.
He was appointed CB in 1914 and KCMG in 1919. He died suddenly at his home, 1 Melbury Road, Kensington, London, on 14 June 1923, shortly before he was due to retire.
In the television series Reilly, Ace of Spies, he was portrayed by Norman Rodway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansfield_Smith-Cumming
Ah - the Faerie Queen's favourite, yon Braggadocchio:

Quote:In 1914, (Mansfield Cumming) was involved in a serious road accident in France, in which his son was killed. Legend has it that in order to escape the car wreck he was forced to amputate his leg using a pen knife. Hospital records have shown however that while both his legs were broken, his left foot was only amputated the day after the accident. Later he often told all sorts of fantastic stories as to how he lost his leg, and would shock people by interrupting meetings in his office by suddenly stabbing his artificial leg with a knife, letter opener or fountain pen[1]......

Sounds like an episode of the seemingly lost comedy series Ripping Yarns, written and performed by Pythons Terry Jones and Michael Palin, which relentlessly sent up the British establishment. See the first ten minutes of the pilot here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqBDv_9ar0
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
-- He's lucky he had a pen knife. I had to chew off my foot.

-- At least you had teeth. I gummed off both legs at the waist while calling for help and singing to keep up my spirits.

-- What I would have given for a decent set of gums. I was forced to talk my legs into removing themselves, and then they were stuck in the window thorugh which I had to crawl, so I licked them until they were reduced to porridge and then made my way through the maggot-infested remains.

-- I would have sold my soul for the protein in a single maggot. To escape my wreck I was forced to eat myself whole, violently purge, then use the stomach acid to melt my eyes which sent up smoke signals to the rescue party who themselves were so hungry that they licked up half of me before I could ooze away.

-- Ah ... Those were the good old days!