Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Zapruder Film and the TSBD
I came across this article of when the zapruder family donated the film,3rd copy, to the tsbd, along with other copies, frame by frame slides and stills,1900 item collection, thought it an interesting reread and others may also...from 1999.

Zapruders donate JFK film, rights
Gift may secure future of Sixth Floor Museum
01/26/2000
By Mark Wrolstad / The Dallas Morning News
The Zapruder family, longtime caretaker of the famous home movies of President John F. Kennedy's assassination, has given its last original duplicate of the film and the copyright to its coveted images to the Sixth Floor Museum.
[Image: 0126film1.jpg]
Mona Reeder / DMN
Gary Mack and Megan Bryant (background) examine the Kennedy assassination film and case at The Sixth Floor Museum.

The donation represents a potential windfall in licensing income and prestige for the 11-year-old Dallas museum.
For the museum, whose main attraction is its location including Lee Harvey Oswald's crow's nest, the acquisition of the Zapruder print and related materials solidifies its stature as a destination for researchers, as well as its financial future, officials said.
[Image: 0126film2.jpg]
Mona Reeder / DMN
Jeff West, executive director of the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza (left) and Gary Mack, an archivist at the museum, look through transparencies of the Zapruder film.

For the survivors of Abraham Zapruder, the Dallas dressmaker who took his 8 mm camera when he walked up a grassy rise in Dealey Plaza and stepped into history on Nov. 22, 1963, the donation ends decades as keepers of America's best-known sequence of amateur movie-making.
And for the copy of the 26-second film clip itself - as well as the other film copies, frame-by-frame slides and stills contained in what the museum has dubbed the "Zapruder Collection" - the gift represents a homecoming, right next to the spot where it was created and where a nation was altered.
"This is a coup," said Jeff West, the museum's executive director, who planned an official announcement Wednesday. "It's truly transformational for us, and it secures our future, not just financially but historically."
Mr. Zapruder's heirs, including son Henry of Washington, D.C., and daughter Myrna Ries of Dallas, announced their intention to transfer the copyright's ownership to a public institution in August, after an arbitration panel ordered the U.S. government to pay the family $16 million, plus interest, for the original film.
The original has been stored at the National Archives since 1975, when Time Inc. returned the film and the copyright to the family. Time Inc. had bought the rights in 1963.
Mr. Zapruder ordered three so-called first-generation copies of the film when it was processed the day of the assassination. The two he gave to the Secret Service also now rest at the archives.
Months of discussion
The third copy, the only one still privately owned, became the Sixth Floor's property when an agreement was signed Dec. 30, capping four months of discussions.
Mr. West and an associate carried the film in an archival box on a flight to Dallas nine days ago, along with other materials.
He said the negotiations began after he heard the copyright needed a new home and he found Henry Zapruder's office number.
"I told him, 'We think we're the guys who should take this on,' " Mr. West said. "It was not a subtle conversation."
A federal board created by Congress to collect and make public all assassination-related films and records took ownership of the original Zapruder film in 1997.
But the government let the heirs retain the copyright, which brings fees for public uses of the film's images in documentaries or publications.
Licensing fees earned about $879,000 for the family from 1976 to 1997, according to estimates made for the arbitration panel.
In a written statement about the museum gift, the heirs again emphasized their efforts to keep the film from being used in ways they considered exploitive.
Exploitation fears
"The guiding principle for the use of the film, established by our father and grandfather at the outset in 1963, was the balance of respect for the sensitive nature of the images with appropriate access by the public," the statement read.
The family said it chose the Sixth Floor because of confidence that its administrators "share our values."
Mr. West pledged that his institution will meet the high standards set by the filmmaker and his heirs.
"His fear was that his film would end up on a T-shirt or a coffee mug, all the exploitive things that we're concerned about," Mr. West said.
An independent appraiser is estimating the value of the gift. Mr. West wouldn't estimate how much the film's licensing might continue to generate.
Jamie Silverberg, the Zapruders' attorney for 12 years, has been hired by the Sixth Floor partly to help with the licensing and indicated the film will continue to be a moneymaker.
"There seems to be an unyielding historical and public interest in the film," he said.
He said the Zapruder heirs considered options other than the Sixth Floor and again demonstrated what he called their "immense sense of civic responsibility."
Critic of decision
Richard Stolley, now a senior editorial adviser for Time Inc., disagreed with the heirs' decision to license a high-tech examination of the Zapruder film in a $15 home video in 1998.
As an editor for Life magazine in 1963, Mr. Stolley bought the original film from Abe Zapruder.
"When I first talked to him, it was his fervent and emotional desire that the film not be exploited in any way," Mr. Stolley said. "I think the Zapruder family has finally done the right thing and honored the man who took the film.
"The museum is where it belongs. In a strange way, for it to wind up in a building about 200 feet from where this garment-maker stood and took the pictures is a kind of historical irony and completeness that doesn't often happen."
Part of the 1,900-item donation may be exhibited later this year, but the material must first be cataloged.
Gary Mack, the museum's archivist, was all but whistling Tuesday as he examined what may be the gem of the bunch - oversized transparencies of each Zapruder frame believed to have been made in 1963 or '64. "These may be in better condition than the original film is today," he said. "We may have something that is better or sharper. Who knows?"

[ Metro: D-FW | Metro columnists | Dallasnews.com ]
©1999 The Dallas Morning NewsThis site is best viewed using Netscape 4.0 or IE 4.0.
Bernice Moore Wrote:I came across this article of when the zapruder family donated the film,3rd copy, to the tsbd, along with other copies, frame by frame slides and stills,1900 item collection, thought it an interesting reread and others may also...from 1999.

Gary Mack, the museum's archivist, was all but whistling Tuesday as he examined what may be the gem of the bunch - oversized transparencies of each Zapruder frame believed to have been made in 1963 or '64. "These may be in better condition than the original film is today," he said. "We may have something that is better or sharper. Who knows?"

"better or sharper"? Well, after 10 years what say you Gary Mack?
"This is a coup," said Jeff West, the museum's executive director, who planned an official announcement Wednesday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2225[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Confusatory.jpg (Size: 91.63 KB / Downloads: 7)
Isn't it awful when the squares steal our lines?

But as they say ...

... all the right angles are reserved for the squares.
Agreed David and all, i would like to know exactly what the 1900 contain, like what are they besides, what are mentioned, what and where would Zapruder, the man who just happened to ramble down to the pedestal with his new camera, and take a film of the assassination of the President, but for no other interest or so it has been said, than to take a film for his family, and why then would he gather 1900 items, whatever , after all he had no other interest did he than his film...i do wonder what and whom have seen all since, i can tell you, the names will not include any ctrs..especially Davids..:lol:..and none that i know of, anyway...on the other side of the coin, David wouldn't it be great to know exactly what Gary does have .....like a hundred page list...:jawdrop:b
Why isn't this in the National Archives or similar? Why is it in a theme park fantasy land gift shop?
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Why isn't this in the National Archives or similar? Why is it in a theme park fantasy land gift shop?

Thats where THEY think it is safest.Some idiot might request to see it at NARA!!
Bernice Moore Wrote:Agreed David and all, i would like to know exactly what the 1900 contain, like what are they besides, what are mentioned, what and where would Zapruder, the man who just happened to ramble down to the pedestal with his new camera, and take a film of the assassination of the President, but for no other interest or so it has been said, than to take a film for his family, any why then would he gather 1900 items, whatever , after all he had no other interest did he than his film...i do wonder what and whom have seen all since, i can tell you, the names will not include any ctrs..especially Davids..:lol:..and none that i know of, anyway...on the other side of the coin, David wouldn't it be great to know exactly what Gary does have .....like a hundred page list...:jawdrop:b

Hi B.... Smile no, I'm not on ANY 6th floor mailing list....

Run of the mill professional transparencies are 3x4 and/or 4x5 inch. (below)

35mm Slides are individual 35mm Negatives housed in a 2"x 2" mount...

120 Medium Format:

Medium format has traditionally referred to any film size in-between 35 mm and large format (4"x5" or more) sheet film. The most common medium format film is 6cm x 6cm with a frame size of 56mm x 56mm. The number of the frame is usually printed on the top or bottom of the frame. Medium format is often used by professional photographers because it offers higher image resolution than traditional 35mm (135) film. Other medium format sizes included 6cm x 4.5cm, 6cm x 7cm, 6cm x 8cm and 6cm x 9cm.

Large Transparencies:

Large Transparencies are a thin sheets of transparent flexible material, typically cellulose acetate, onto which figures can be printed or drawn. These are then placed on an overhead projector for display to an audience (or other assorted uses Smile ). Large transparencies are typically the approximate size of a legal sheet of paper 8"x11", however they can range in various sizes.

The size, I suspect, Dr. Josiah Thompson saw while doing his work at LIFE magazine was, 3x4 and/or 4x5 inch.

Over sized transparencies are probably 8x10inch range, I'd like to know who created those, and for what purpose. Ever keeping in mind, the larger the source transparency image, the simpler any image alteration becomes...

I suspect at least 800-1000 of the 1900 images transferred to the 6th Floor Mausoleum are Zaprduer film frames (of various transparency size and format).
a quote from a letter received by greg re the transparacies,from the 6th floor mausoleum...Confusedpinwheels: i hope he will post all for us...

Quote:

The collection donated to the
Museum in December 1999 by the Zapruder family did include the 4x5 color
transparencies made in March 1997 for the MPI Media video project titled Image
of an Assassination. Documentation from late December 1999 and early January
2000 confirms the Museum expected to, and did, receive these MPI transparencies
from the Zapruder family.

photo from robin showing MPI transparacies...

Attached Files
.jpg   MPI_Color_4x5__transparencies.jpg (Size: 60.88 KB / Downloads: 5)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarah Stanton (i.e. PrayerMan) in Dan Owens film Richard Gilbride 7 1,560 01-10-2023, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Manipulation of TOWNER film David Josephs 0 2,073 26-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  "ScarfLady"---TSBD building "employee"? LR Trotter 98 67,796 23-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LR Trotter
  Nov. 22 radio interviews with me and Alexandra Zapruder Joseph McBride 21 18,864 11-05-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Tom Scully
  Did Dillard film American-born LEE Oswald on sixth floor? Jim Hargrove 9 8,715 12-04-2017, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Jeff Carter: Part 2 of his Review of Alexandra Zapruder Jim DiEugenio 0 2,382 23-03-2017, 05:45 PM
  Jeff Carter Reviews "26 Seconds" by Alexandra Zapruder Jim DiEugenio 2 3,016 19-02-2017, 10:17 PM
  Write Amazon reviews of new Zapruder Book. NOW! It is selling Nathaniel Heidenheimer 3 3,565 25-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  New JFK Film Peter Lemkin 4 5,551 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Zapruder grandson named poetry editor of NY Times Joseph McBride 0 2,264 13-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride