Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultradestructive Megawatt Power, Navy’s Death Ray Laser
On its Way to Ultradestructive Megawatt Power, Navy's Death Ray Laser Breaks Another Record
13th March 2011

By Rebecca Boyle
Popular Science | February 19, 2011

Photo: Naval Lasing Raytheon's prototype ship-borne laser system has effectively shot down UAVs from the deck of a ship. The Navy wants a more versatile free electron laser weapon to perform a variety of security tasks, including target designation, tracking, andof coursetarget elimination. Photo via Raytheon.

The Navy's death ray weapon keeps burning through laser records, on its way to the ultimate goal of searing through 2,000 feet of steel per second.

The Free Electron Laser's latest milestone involved running its electron injection system for eight hours at 500 kilovolts. That will help the laser become more powerful and more deadly, as Wired's Danger Room reports.

The FEL will be a multiple-wavelength weapon that can be altered to account for all the variables it would encounter at sea, like aerosols and moisture in the air. The laser doesn't use any crystals or inverted prisms or any other materials to focus its light it works like a particle accelerator, moving electrons around a racetrack to speed them up.

To make it more powerful, you would add more electrons, and the electron injector takes care of that. The latest achievement proves that lots and lots of electrons can be injected over a long period of time, meaning it's possible to make the laser much more powerful.

It currently produces a 14-kilowatt beam, and it needs to reach 100 kW to become a viable defense weapon. The ultimate goal is a 1-MW laser.

In December, ONR researchers said they proved their injection system is capable of producing the necessary electrons to fuel a megawatt-class laser beam, and they're months ahead of schedule.

Via Danger Room. This post originally appeared on Popular Science. This post originally appeared on Popular Science.

http://io9.com/#!5765053/on-its-way-to-u...her-record
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
For some reason this does not make me feel safe. :noblesteed:
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
I wonder why..... I have been thinking of this all day.....where is there a 2000 ft thick piece of steel?....none exist anywhere; but such a device could obviously cut through rock or anything at nearly .5 Km/sec or so.....frightening. I'm afraid it will be humans who destroy homo sapiens on planet Earth....rather sooner, than later. :nosmilie:

Such a device would easily be able in microseconds reposition the beam, i.e. cutting a swath through an army, city, anything. The kind of weapon a Hitler would have loved - and now his heirs have one and will build many.....as will their adversaries. Welcome to Star Wars.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Navy Laser weapon David Guyatt 0 4,535 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  China unveils anti-drone laser weapon David Guyatt 0 3,675 07-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Anthrax drug death sparks fear of Europe-wide pandemic Magda Hassan 0 2,665 18-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Study Finds That Having Power Can Make You Stupid Magda Hassan 1 3,250 16-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Laser ‘Dazzler’ Weapon Approved for Use by Police and Coast Guard (US) Ed Jewett 0 3,221 21-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Scientists Sequence Black Death Bacteria DNA Ed Jewett 0 2,641 01-09-2011, 04:24 AM
  Scientist talks about her Near Death-like Experience and brain function. Magda Hassan 24 9,746 22-06-2011, 08:20 PM
  Death by plastic Magda Hassan 0 2,616 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Boeing 747 uses laser to destroy missile Ed Jewett 5 4,592 13-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin