Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Phones' Microwaves May Well Cause Brain Cancers!
Do Cell Phones Cause Cancer? An Explosive 'Maybe'
by Jennifer Couzin-Frankel on 31 May 2011, 4:57 PM

Whether or not cell phones cause brain cancer is a question that's been debated (but not answered) for years, and today the World Health Organization (WHO) stepped into the fray. A WHO committee that evaluates various potential cancer-causing agents concluded that radiofrequency electromagnetic fields, including cell phones, are "possibly carcinogenic" to people. The announcement was seized upon and published in dozens of news outlets within minutes.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) arrived at the conclusion of possible carcinogenicity after an 8-day review of the literature by 31 experts, in Lyon, France. The classification falls in the middle of IARC's hierarchy of risk, joining a group of more than 250 potential carcinogens that also includes lead, engine exhaust, and occupational exposure to dry cleaning. In a sign of how tough it is to determine that something doesn't cause cancer, just one of the 900 or so agents that IARC has evaluated, caprolactam, a component of fibers and plastics, falls in the "probably not carcinogenic" category.

When it comes to cell phones, "we found some threads of evidence telling us how cancer might occur, but I think there are acknowledged gaps and uncertainties," said Jonathan Samet, chairperson of the IARC Working Group and a physician and public health expert at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, during a press conference. The working group was particularly influenced by an international study called Interphone that's examining whether exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields from cell phones causes cancer. Last year, the Interphone study group wrote in the International Journal of Epidemiology that it saw "no increase in risk of glioma or meningioma." It continued: "There were suggestions of an increased risk of glioma at the highest exposure level, but biases and errors" make it tough to show that the phones were the cause. "The possible effects of long-term heavy use of mobile phones require further investigation," they concluded.

IARC would like more research as well. Samet noted that at this point there are almost 5 billion cell phone subscriptions worldwide, and "we anticipate an ever larger population that is exposed for longer and longer." That said, shifting cell phones from the "possible" category to a more definitive one won't be easy. Epidemiologic studies like Interphone tend to match healthy people with those who have brain cancer and ask both to recall their cell phone use. "We know that is inherently imperfect," said Samet. And because all these studies take time to conduct, they inevitably examine older technology. Animal studies looking at the risk from radiofrequency electromagnetic fields have been mixed, both in whether they see a danger and in why that might be.

Whether IARC re-evaluates cell phone hazards, the committee says, will depend on what new research comes out.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Interesting. I have always felt uneasy having long conversations on a mobile phone as you can just feel the heat building up on the phone and your hand and head. It just feels yuk.

There was a report about this on the radio today and their take on it was everything is okay. The wheeled out some big wig scientist who said the science wasn't yet in and since mice have not developed cancer from exposure to this form of radiation then all is well.....
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Interesting. I have always felt uneasy having long conversations on a mobile phone as you can just feel the heat building up on the phone and your hand and head. It just feels yuk.

There was a report about this on the radio today and their take on it was everything is okay. The wheeled out some big wig scientist who said the science wasn't yet in and since mice have not developed cancer from exposure to this form of radiation then all is well.....

I'm sure with a little digging, one could find the reason for this big-wig scientist's favorable bent vis-a-vis mobile phones. Mice also don't spend long on mobiles. This is a well known effect in the Environmental Health community and there are many studies that show they are harmful - most harmful with the number of hours you are on them and much of the radiation can be eliminated with a long 'hands-free' line and earphones/mike from the phone itself. The newer models with all the super features are the worst offenders in the level of radiation. It took years to get all know known carcinogens recognized as such - as government and business were always dragging out big-wig scientists to say that dioxin, asbestos, radon, TOBACCO, etc. ad nauseum was not harmful and certainly not carcinogenic. :nono:

Those idiots or naive persons who have those star trec ear pieces in their ear all day will be the worst effected. For now, keep the calls short and the phone as far away from your head as possible - ideally as far from your body as possible and off some of the time [mine is hardly ever on or near me!]
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Yes, I have observed that mice do not make great use of mobile phones. :phone: and this is probably reflected in their lower incidence of tumors from mobile phone radiation. And it would be good to know this scientist's financial investments portfolio better.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Yes, I have observed that mice do not make great use of mobile phones. :phone: and this is probably reflected in their lower incidence of tumors from mobile phone radiation. And it would be good to know this scientist's financial investments portfolio better.

I haven't looked at the mouse experimental evidence; but will note that the greatest difference in most humans from most mice is the brain [some people - not] - the rest of the physiology is quite similar, if shaped differently. I have seen some of the human studies which have shown statistically significant higher rates of brain cancers in those persons who are perpetually on mobile phones [like stock brokers/toxic asset dealers who have one to each ear] - but one could argue such people are getting cancer from what they are thinking.....:banghead:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just how safe is wifi and mobile phone use?! Some frightening answers! Peter Lemkin 0 3,323 16-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Hard-wired: The brain's circuitry for political belief Peter Lemkin 0 8,742 24-12-2016, 12:46 PM
  Neuroscientist Is Trying to Upload His Entire Brain to a Computer Peter Lemkin 1 12,626 22-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  UCLA’s Dr. W. Ross Adey & Remote Brain Telemetry Peter Lemkin 16 21,369 16-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  FBI can remotely use Android phones to activate recording Magda Hassan 1 2,656 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  Telepathic rats, with a little help from brain implants....what next for humans? Peter Lemkin 3 3,722 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Charles Drago
  Met Police to extract suspects' mobile phone data Danny Jarman 1 2,697 22-05-2012, 05:15 PM
  Air Force’s Top Brain Wants a ‘Social Radar’ to ‘See Into Hearts and Minds’ Ed Jewett 0 2,617 21-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Nanoparticles Cause Brain Injury in Fish Ed Jewett 3 4,301 23-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Zapping the brain with magnets makes it IMPOSSIBLE to lie, claim scientists Magda Hassan 1 3,300 10-09-2011, 08:27 AM