Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland police & itchie trigger fingers
An Oakland Transit cop shoots unarmed man in the back.
I was born in Oakland,and anyone who knows will tell you,It's one mean ass city.I'm not sure what will happen here,but I suspect things will be getting really really HOT.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11369592?s...st_emailed

Keith
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
Keith Millea Wrote:An Oakland Transit cop shoots unarmed man in the back.
I was born in Oakland,and anyone who knows will tell you,It's one mean ass city.I'm not sure what will happen here,but I suspect things will be getting really really HOT.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11369592?s...st_emailed

Keith

Sadly Keith this is an event that occurs with such regularity that it barely makes the news. Nothing will happen. The police will say he was "reaching for what appeared to be a weapon". An investigation will occur. The cop will be cleared. A grand jury will no bill.
"Ain't that America...home of the free?"
-John Mellencamp

Dawn
Dawn,
Normally I would agree with what you say,but it might just be different this time.One thing for sure,their were lots of video phones rolling at the time.I've seen a better video of this shooting.The police confiscated what phones they could,but not all.It seems that video phones are starting to be the best weapon against police brutality.Almost all the youth carry them.The big lesson is to smuggle your footage out of the area before the cops can get it.

Keith
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
Keith Millea Wrote:Dawn,
Normally I would agree with what you say,but it might just be different this time.One thing for sure,their were lots of video phones rolling at the time.I've seen a better video of this shooting.The police confiscated what phones they could,but not all.It seems that video phones are starting to be the best weapon against police brutality.Almost all the youth carry them.The big lesson is to smuggle your footage out of the area before the cops can get it.

Keith

I think you're right Keith, and I hope you're right. The execution of Oscar Grant III was obscene, and it was captured by at least four cameras, and it's been seen by millions. In the past the cameras and the internet were the missing ingredients so the cops could just lie with impunity.

I'm proud of the people in Oakland for showing up en masse to protest this murder. I hope they continue. I disagree with Grant's mom about this; calm is not what's needed.
Quote:I'm proud of the people in Oakland for showing up en masse to protest this murder. I hope they continue. I disagree with Grant's mom about this; calm is not what's needed.

I haven't seen the response by his mum but what you say Myra is interesting. Sometimes calm is not what is needed. Why can't people be emotional? Is it an Anglo-Saxon thing or a control thing? Some one, defenseless and surrendered, is murdered in cold blood by someone who has been trained to know far better. What's not be outraged about that? Why not say so and show so? Why the stiff upper lip crap?

Same for those warning they have on tv or on videos with the war casualties etc "Some viewers may find the following scenes disturbing" Why wouldn't anyone find it disturbing unless they have been totally desensitized to any human emotion.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:I haven't seen the response by his mum...

Here's a link to it Maggie.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...155RRO.DTL

Magda Hassan Wrote:I haven't seen the response by his mum but what you say Myra is interesting. Sometimes calm is not what is needed. Why can't people be emotional? Is it an Anglo-Saxon thing or a control thing? Some one, defenseless and surrendered, is murdered in cold blood by someone who has been trained to know far better. What's not be outraged about that? Why not say so and show so? Why the stiff upper lip crap?...

A control thing, as you say. What the hell has calm gotten us? In 1991 Rodney King had the snot beat out of him for DWB and pleaded for calm. Now over 15 years later we still have black men targeted by thugs in uniform.

BART is obviously stalling; it's been over a week and they have done nothing. They never even bothered to question the guilty cop, who has now quit and lawyered up. Meanwhile we're supposed to watch video of Oscar Grant's execution online and in total serenity? I don't think so.
So far only some small rioting.I'm surprised it hasn't gotten larger.I think the situation is pretty tense right now,with people just waiting to see how the officials handle things.BART(Bay Area Rapid Transit) has a meeting this morning.I also noticed that Jerry Brown is not the Mayor of Oakland now.Jerry is one of the few politicians that I sorta like.The good thing is that Ron Dellums is the Mayor.For those that don't know Ron,he was an outspoken radical black congressman Back in the Day.So I think the Mayor understands the situation.I also think he is a good person to hopefully keep the city from burning.I guess we'll see what the weekend brings.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11401111?nclick_check=1

Keith
Buckminster Fuller
View from an Anarchist.

http://www.counterpunch.org/kara01122009.html

Quote:"I'm sorry my car was burned but the issue is very upsetting."

-Ken Epstein, assistant editor of the Oakland Post, who was finishing an article about Grant's death, watched from the 12th story of his office at 14th and Franklin streets as his 2002 Honda CR-V disintegrated in a roar of flames (Oakland Tribune)

Keith
Buckminster Fuller
I hope it's not just PR. Of course if it weren't for the folks with cell phones even this wouldn't have happened.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...15A08A.DTL

BART officer arrested on murder warrant in NY Day shooting
Demian Bulwa, Leslie Fulbright,Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writers
Wednesday, January 14, 2009

(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.

Johannes Mehserle, 27, of Lafayette was taken into custody in Douglas County, Nev., said Deputy Steve Velez of the Douglas County sheriff's office. The arrest was also confirmed by David Chai, chief of staff to Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums.

Mehserle was arrested in the New Year's Day shooting of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old supermarket worker from Hayward who was lying facedown after being pulled off a BART train by police investigating a fight. An Alameda County judge signed an arrest warrant alleging murder, and Mehserle surrendered without incident, authorities said.

The shooting, which was recorded by passengers in videos widely circulated on the Internet and television, prompted public outrage, and some viewers said that the shooting appeared to be an execution.

Sources said Mehserle was in Nevada because he feared for his safety after death threats were made against him. Douglas County is 15 miles south of Carson City in northwestern Nevada and includes part of Lake Tahoe.

Mehserle's attorney, Christopher W. Miller of Sacramento, confirmed early today that his client was arrested on suspicion of murder. He said he would not comment further until a news conference today.

Alameda County District Attorney Tom Orloff was expected to announce details of the arrest today. He could not be reached late Tuesday.

Authorities have been under immense pressure to take action in the case. On Tuesday, BART board President Thomas Blalock and board Director Carole Ward Allen sent a letter to Orloff, urging the district attorney to move expeditiously to complete the investigation and file charges if warranted.

Some Oakland community leaders and civil rights activists said the case is symbolic of larger problems with police officers using excessive force on young black men. Grant was black and Mehserle is white.

The arrest came on the eve of a protest scheduled for 4 p.m. today outside Oakland City Hall, the latest in a series of demonstrations in which BART has been accused of mishandling the investigation.

BART police on Monday turned over the results of their preliminary investigation to Orloff's office. A separate investigation by Oakland police was launched last week, and Mehserle's arrest was related to that probe, sources said. The state attorney general is also monitoring the case.

BART officers had detained Grant and several other passengers at about 2 a.m. Jan. 1 as they investigated a fight aboard a train from San Francisco. Passengers with cellular phone cameras captured footage that shows Grant lying facedown when he was shot.

In the videos, Mehserle appears to be trying to put cuffs on Grant, and Grant appears to be struggling, when Mehserle suddenly pulls his service weapon from his holster and fires one shot into Grant's back.

Mehserle declined to speak to BART criminal investigators after the shooting. Then last Wednesday he resigned rather than answer questions from BART's internal affairs division.

His departure came the same day Grant was buried and a peaceful protest at the Fruitvale BART Station erupted into violence in downtown Oakland. Demonstrators set cars on fire and broke windows at dozens of businesses. By night's end, police had arrested 105 people.

Grant's family has filed a $25 million legal claim against BART, signaling an intention to sue for damages. The family's attorney, John Burris, said late Tuesday that he was pleased to hear of Mehserle's arrest.

"If it's true, the family is delighted, and it will really help with the healing process," Burris said. "This is also very important for the community. This had to occur; it was almost a no-brainer. I think the district attorney ought to be commended for moving (the case) expeditiously."
[QUOTE A separate investigation by Oakland police was launched last week, and Mehserle's arrest was related to that probe, sources said.[/QUOTE]

This is why I have hope that the situation will be resolved.The Oakland Police investigation was ordered by Mayor Dellums.As I stated earlier,Dellums was a fierce anti-war and racial justice advocate back when he was a Congressman in the 70's.His reputation is on the line now.I don't think there will be a whitewash of this matter like so many others.JMHO

Keith
Buckminster Fuller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The militarizaion/Israelization of the police Lauren Johnson 0 13,905 25-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Police Right [sic] to Assemble Chaos and Incite Riots Peter Lemkin 0 4,014 18-04-2014, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Militarisation of Police Magda Hassan 11 13,378 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  New York Senate Makes It Felony to Annoy or Alarm the Police, Which Won't Be At All Problematic Keith Millea 10 9,581 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Jim Hackett II
  G8 protests and police action in Picadily breaking now Magda Hassan 0 4,149 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Tottenham: police shooting followed by riots Jan Klimkowski 59 48,029 17-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  South African police shoot dead striking miners Jan Klimkowski 13 7,996 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
  Glastonbury festival: how police spied on political campaigners Danny Jarman 4 5,011 16-07-2012, 07:37 PM
  Bad dog! Anger at police pooch named Bono that ALWAYS says there are drugs in a car Magda Hassan 2 3,156 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
  Greek police union wants to arrest EU/IMF officials Magda Hassan 0 2,050 11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan